Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing like a soapy finish after a nice soak while I eat
IMG_0012.jpeg

Opinion: people be posting all these choil shots and saying “sexy!” “😍😍😍” etc… when it’s just a freakin triangle. Maybe it’s a comment on the quality of the photography? Idk. I mean, probably it’s a fine knife (not that you can tell from the choil). It seems like everyone wants to be seen as knowing how to appreciate a choil shot, so the comments on said shots are very effusive.

Feelin cranky this morning in case anyone can’t tell. 🥳

Opinion: people be posting all these choil shots and saying “sexy!” “😍😍😍” etc… when it’s just a freakin triangle. Maybe it’s a comment on the quality of the photography? Idk. I mean, probably it’s a fine knife (not that you can tell from the choil). It seems like everyone wants to be seen as knowing how to appreciate a choil shot, so the comments on said shots are very effusive.

Choils are funny. Yeah it’s a representation of the overall geometry of the knife, but often appear so much thicker from the heel and don’t necessarily represent 2/3 of the blade 🤷‍♂️

Yeah its hard to get good choilshot. Effort to show it should be complimented.

Also curious about what people look for in a choil shot.

But performance wise, you are still left in the dark.
With a good choil, spine, profile and tip shot. The added information about weight and if not numbers, then a description on how the grind feels and the knife performs, makes up for a better understanding of it all.

But we were talking choils only and I agree. People put way to much in to way to little information.

Last edited:
wt f is with all these letterboxed images being posted here? what is this, netflix?

is it seriously so hard to post actual source images? i pity these screenshot peasants....

To me, it's always an impressive feat, takes me like 10 minutes to get a good choil shot, my camera always wants to focus elsewhere lol

To me, it's always an impressive feat, takes me like 10 minutes to get a good choil shot, my camera always wants to focus elsewhere lol
I thought I had it down until I got a new phone with multiple cameras…

Now everything time l try to shoot anything remotely close up, it jumps between lenses and drives me bonkers.

I like Takefu knives a lot. So much so that I honestly signed-up for this forum because I was thinking I might need to put some of my Sanjo knives on BST because they don't get used that much.
That’s my only letdown with this forum. There is no way I can sell my Yu Kurosaki and Nigara knives here without eating a big loss, 😅

I thought I had it down until I got a new phone with multiple cameras…

Now everything time l try to shoot anything remotely close up, it jumps between lenses and drives me bonkers.
Yes! Drives me apeshit, finally settled on 3x zoom for my S23 and just having it focus on my fingers and take about 6 to get a good choil in there somewhere.

Now on to choil commentary:

It tickles me to no end that the choil #1 markedly outcut choil #2
20231109_141044.jpg
20231109_141601.jpg

Back