Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have Five Guys and Shake Shack here now - Shake Shack is superior in basically every way.
wait, we have shake shack in France now?
Five guys is way overpriced and from the ones I tried it sucks. A friend swears by it, but from what he cooked, he has really poor taste sooo wouldn't trust his opinion

edit: couldn't find shake shack in France :(

Last edited:
Richard & I tried out 5 guys we are both retired cooks. Not impressed at all esp. the burger overcooked dry falling apart.

Janice & I used to buy subway foot longs cut in half. In a cooler with potato salad.
At the beach at Kahala. Tasted good after swimming or snorkeling.

Keith's salmon burger with healthy ingredients & steak fries skin on.
View attachment 320659View attachment 320660
When I’m in Hawaii, by burger indulgence is usually Teddy’s Bigger Burgers—conveniently situated between the 24 Hour Fitness Gym and my parent’s house. It’s not as good as Shake Shack, but a familiar taste from a local chain.
IMG_2702.png

Last edited:
Five Guys burgers are not even appealing. Buns come flat and very plain looking, inside buns are a mess, and fries are meh.

Five Guys burgers are not even appealing. Buns come flat and very plain looking, inside buns are a mess, and fries are meh.
🍔 Messy yes, fries not the best—but sometimes Five Guys totally hits the spot with a delicious satisfying meal when hungered for a burger. Five Guys happens to be on route to my subway station, definitely one of the better burger options in that ‘hood. Craving one now—but can’t eat meat ‘til Monday.

BBW / coticule are faster and feel just as good sometimes better and washitas are also spectacular edge stones. I have to imagine @cotedupy is making up his praise of Turkish stones either. Also, all those synth stones are pretty spiffy at edge sharpening too. I love my diamond stuff, but a shapton glass 4k is just about perfect for kitchen edges too

For me:
Anything Arkansas (washita-soft-medium-hard-translucent-black)
Anything coticule/bbw
And I really like my Llyn Idwal Grecian Stone, but I have only had one of those to try so can't really make broad generalizations
Also most of the mainstream synthetic water stones.
And diamond stones
And oil stones.

Other than that, Jnats are probably the best for knife edges. Lol.

BBW / coticule are faster and feel just as good sometimes better and washitas are also spectacular edge stones. I have to imagine @cotedupy is making up his praise of Turkish stones either. Also, all those synth stones are pretty spiffy at edge sharpening too. I love my diamond stuff, but a shapton glass 4k is just about perfect for kitchen edges too
I have had a couple of Turks. One stone I could never really figure out so I traded them to Oli for other stuff to try. Lol.

I still love jnats for single bevels, Japanese tools, and razor edges though. And NOTHING can even begin to compete on a polishing level.

But also, an Aizu or Okudo suita or whatnot can still leave a really incredible edge. But if I put my personal bias aside I think there are other things that are technically better.

I still love jnats for single bevels, Japanese tools, and razor edges though. And NOTHING can even begin to compete on a polishing level.

But also, an Aizu or Okudo suita or whatnot can still leave a really incredible edge. But if I put my personal bias aside I think there are other things that are technically better.

The two jnats I have kept are an aizu and an okudo suita.

The fact that I know what that consistency is is a never ending source of shame for me. Thanks for triggering me...
It’s ideal for when you haven’t yet healed some new dental work.

Somehow Mc****burger gets that “don’t wanna chew? got you covered” consistency right off the assembly bench. Witchcraft may be involved.

I completely forgot I had a Grecian, busted it out the other day and liked it a lot. Have not found a great use for a standard llyn idwal yet. But I may not have a great example.

Out of three aizu, I only thought one was a top class edge stone.

Believe it or not, cotedupy didn't turn me onto Turkeys, @demirtasem did. He has a preference for the coarser grey ones, getting closer to a 2k edge and better for pro duty. The darker finer variety is a-ok for a home cook. It may become an intermediate razor stone as well, if I can effectively smooth the surface enough.

A Dalmore blue also leaves a fairly good knife edge. A bit slow but they can also be beautiful. Worth the work.

Diamonds aren't my favorite fur edges. AlOx is my ideal abrasive for steels, diamonds feel like more of a necessary evil for high carbide, or a power sanding option.

But yeah that good Arkansas novaculite is hard to beat. Fast, aggressive, clean.

But for whatever reason my coticules keep multiplying. Even though I get better feeling edges from many other stones for both razors and knives than many cotis, I keep chasing them. Because the good ones can be brilliant.

I dislike burgers with an aspect ratio <unity. ( = taller than wide)

“Make it wider, not taller” is popular now, but I think in his case he tasted a real ground beef patty compared to what is served in the States. And Kroatia is Balkan/Mediterranian. Amazing fresh food! Everything tastes different over there. For the better!

I dislike burgers with an aspect ratio <unity. ( = taller than wide)
Generally agree, but my moment of lustful gluttony dictated I order a double and forsake golden ratios. Squishy fluffy bun made it easy enough to eat without getting it up my nose.

When I had a stache I was much more keen on that.

When I’m in Hawaii, by burger indulgence is usually Teddy’s Bigger Burgers—conveniently situated between the 24 Hour Fitness Gym and my parent’s house. It’s not as good as Shake Shack, but a familiar taste from a local chain.
View attachment 320698
Teddy's burgers started out in my past neighborhood backside of Diamondhead. When Kahala was going to throw away their old light green milkshake machines I took them with buckets. Later donated to Teddy's.

We did a hike in Hawaii Kai area couple months ago. Ended up eating at Teddy's in your neck of the woods. They make a decent burger. One of best teriyaki bugers.

Generally agree, but my moment of lustful gluttony dictated I order a double and forsake golden ratios. Squishy fluffy bun made it easy enough to eat without getting it up my nose.

When I had a stache I was much more keen on that.
The maker in his ineffable wisdom saw fit to round my pi-hole down to 3.

Back