Upcomming Sigma II Stones Pass-Around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"In any event, I think I would leave writing a review to folks like tk59, PensacolaTiger, JohnyChance and the like. These guys have more experience sharpening, more knives in different steels, and more stones on hand to compare to."

fair enough..I'm looking for a new 1k and eventually a 6k and these stones are available locally and the price seems fair so I shall await for the reviews with baited breath.. :D

"If you guys in Canada don't mind waiting a bit, we can send stones your way eventually."
Thanks for the very generous offer,but I don't have much faith in Canada Post or Canada Customs.I wouldn't want to disrupt the flow of the pass around

"If you guys in Canada don't mind waiting a bit, we can send stones your way eventually."
Thanks for the very generous offer,but I don't have much faith in Canada Post or Canada Customs.I wouldn't want to disrupt the flow of the pass around
:plus1:

Any updates/reviews? I just notices that the original post has been locked.

I have them currently and am about to hand them off to someone else. I noticed the original thread was locked as well, not sure why. I am not a stone guru, I have a very meager stone collection, but I have enjoyed most of the Sigma II's a lot during my time with them. I will be posting a more thorough review and some pictures shortly.

Thanks JC.Looking forward to the reviews as I'm in the market for a new 1k stone.

Cheers

I am trying to sort this out, Collin. I will have a list up in a day or two.

M

John dropped them off to me yesterday. I am going to play around with them Thursday then they can go wherever I am told to send them.

Any comments regarding these stones would be helpful. I was toying with the idea of ordering some of these based on a recommendation of a buddy of mine that does a lot of tool sharpening. Just wondering how well these work especially with 52100.

My impressions were very positive for 3K, 6K and particularly 10K. 1K was a decent stone, but I had an issue with the sound while flattening and sharpening. To me it was like nails on a chalkboard :( , so I didn't give it much attention.

3, 6, and 10K worked all well on 52100. Good feel, very little dishing.

I am down for 10K from Tools From Japan (company that provided stones for pass-around http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/), contemplating getting 6k as well.

Hope this helps. I believe JohnnyChance is writing a more detailed review. I only tried stones on 52100.

Marko

This is a little bit overdue, sorry folks.

I think to simplify logistics, it would make sense to group people by region. The stones are currently with a forum member in NYC.

There were a few people interested in reviews, but I hope I didn't miss anybody who wanted to partake in a pass-around. Please post in this thread and I will add you to the list.

First Region
Marko
JohnnyChance
MattRud (NYC) - has them currently
SachemAllison (NYC) - next
Nilloc (NY, Long Island)

Second Region
tk59 (SoCal)
Johndoughy (TX)
PabloZ (NM)
SpikeC (OR)

Thanks,
Marko

PS: I have you as interested in reviews, but please correct me if you want to get on a pass-around.

Edipisreks
Obtuse
Shankster

Fantastic. I am writing to Sachem Allison to let him know to contact you and to arrange a pickup once you are done testing - take your time.

I don't think they need to be soaked for long - up to 30 min or so on the higher grits.

M

Even though I just bought a Chosera 1k today,I'm still interested in the reviews..

Cheers
Peter

East coast, west coast...and me and Paul. 2 loners in the Old West! :gunner:

Well it looks like Sachem Allison will be passing on his turn, so the stones will go to Collin (Nilloc) and then head Southwest.

Collin, can you please make arrangements with Matt about pickup/shipment of the stones?

Updated List:

First Region
Marko
JohnnyChance
SachemAllison - forgo the pass-around this time
MattRud (NYC) - has them currently
Nilloc (NY, Long Island) - next

Second Region
tk59 (SoCal)
Johndoughy (TX)
PabloZ (NM)
SpikeC (OR)

Thanks,
Marko

Thanks for the update Marko
I am seriously considering the set but was thinking of replacing the sigma 1k with a Chosera 1k. Thoughts anyone?

Chosera or JNS 1K would be a good replacement. I think JNS 1K will feel very similar to Sigma II 3, 6, 10K - solid feedback and very and almost no dishing. That is what I was going to get to replace my Bester 1200.

M

I wouldn't replace my Chosera 1K with a Select II 1K. Completely different animals and not properly comparable.

Sigma Power have several different stones in the 1K range, and of all of them, the Select II (being talked about here) is the last one I'd compare against the Chosera. Not fair to the Select II for feeling or user friendliness, not fair to the Chosera for outright speed.

Just to be clear, there are two VERY distinctly different Sigma Power stone lines, the Select II and the ceramic. They have virtually nothing in common except the name on them. The stones being tried out in this thread are the Select II, and they're specifically intended for very tough steels like HSS, all Stainless and Power metal. They also work quickly on less tough steels, but dish faster too because that's how they work.

I hope that clears things up, because I wouldn't want anyone to think these are the only stones Sigma Power put their name on, nor are they be-all and end-all from Sigma Power.

(Oh, the Select II line now has 10 stones in it...)

Stu.

I wouldn't replace my Chosera 1K with a Select II 1K. Completely different animals and not properly comparable.

Sigma Power have several different stones in the 1K range, and of all of them, the Select II (being talked about here) is the last one I'd compare against the Chosera. Not fair to the Select II for feeling or user friendliness, not fair to the Chosera for outright speed.

Yeah, that is how I felt about the 1k Select II. I haven't use a lot of stones, but it felt much more coarse than my Bester 1200. Closer to my Chosera 400 actually. The sound and feeling Marko mentioned while flattening I did notice at first, but it seemed to bother me more when someone else was flattening the stone. When I was doing it, it didn't bother me at all (just like nails on a chalkboard, the one doing the scratching isn't as affected as much). It was fast however. I prefer the Bester and if I need something faster I would prefer to have a 400-600 stone anyway and could use that. But if you just wanted say a 2 stone setup I think this would be a good option as it is fast at the edges are still pretty nice.

(Oh, the Select II line now has 10 stones in it...)

240, 1k, 3k, 6k, 10k and what are the other five?

Just to clarify things, I think my next stone purchase will be JNS 1K, Sigma II 6K, and Sigma II 10K (Tools from Japan). Sigma II 6K and 10K dish very little, I barely noticed any dishing, to be honest, have very good feel to them and I like how they worked on 52100. Sigma II 3K was also very good, but I found it not necessary if you plan to follow with 6K. If you plan to stop at 3K, it might be a good stone to have as well.

JohnyChance sharpened other steels so he can chime on it.

M

Stu,
What coarse grit options does Sigma offer? I'm always looking for coarse fast cutters that don't dish easily - not always an easy find.

Dave, there's a 120 grit black stone from Sigma that dishes very very little. It's also available in oversize 205x75x50mm. I think KCMA reviewed it on FF a while back. Flattening it with the enclosed loose SiC 36 grit on a glass plate is a sound devised in hell....

Dave, there's a 120 grit black stone from Sigma that dishes very very little. It's also available in oversize 205x75x50mm. I think KCMA reviewed it on FF a while back. Flattening it with the enclosed loose SiC 36 grit on a glass plate is a sound devised in hell....

Oh yeah I remember him reviewing that, thanks.

I have sigma II 1 k honestly i dont like it at all, so i andet to give it out to one of my studens at work :(
Sound is like Marko describe very annoying and very slow too.

Back