Usefulness of a Nakiri knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. She sized it up well enough but couldn't identify the joint.

in her defense, their are few things as a chef harder then identifying the joint on a crab leg. i mean its really just anyones guess? Sometime i keep this posted up in my kitchen as a helper, but even with this image its still nearly impossible on the first try

Nope, but she did have somewhat interesting definition of curling the fingers. Also her sharpening video is worth checking out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1fUFbij2s0#t=110 But for the sensitive people beware - there is some serious graphic knife abuse inside. Lets say that she managed to say 45 degrees. And did not meant included.

i like how she demonstrates how to hold your fingers, after NOT holding her fingers that and nearly cutting them off.

[video=youtube;-1fUFbij2s0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1fUFbij2s0#t=110[/video]

guh... i was hoping to see a message at the end saying "none of the knives in this video were harmed, as this was a staged renactment"

I used my Shig nakiri this morning to slice up a shallot, some garlic and make fries out of 4 potatoes. Definitely could have done it with any other type of knife, but I mainly love to switch it up sometimes and use the nakiri. I do have some issues with it wedging on stuff like carrots though, a little disappointing but it just needs some time on the stones I imagine.

The Shig is a brick of a knife though, I didn't realize til I got it how substantial the blade is even though it's very thin behind the edge. That has it's pros and it's cons, I don't mind it much, just wish it didn't wedge so much with stuff like carrots and squash. I've only given it a super light touch up on a 6K and some truing on a ceramic rod and it certainly responded well, but I'm wondering if it needs some higher thinning, I'm not experienced enough a sharpener nor feel I have the proper stones to tackle that yet.

The nakiri really grew on me. I did not see much point in it at the beginning but now I would use it every so often. Nothing better to chop the onions or peppers. Light, fun, chops like a champ. Just today I used it to cut two onions for a marinade. For any longer prep task I prefer gyuto/santoku tho.

Back