D. Martell Vintage Sabatier Refurb

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,

Just have Randy swing by for a couple of days to take pictures of you in action. :film:

Maybe I'll do a WIP some day but if I know myself I'd forget to stop and record what I'm doing because I can really get into the work and time just disappears and the next thing it's done. It sure would be cool do document some of this stuff sometime though.

I know how that goes. I'm not a very sentimental person, so I rarely every stop to show off or preserve memories. My wife is always yelling at me for mailing things off that were a ton of work and not taking a picture! But she's a photographer.

Beautiful work Dave.
Your refurb made this knife look better than brand new.

I just wanted to say thank you dave. I just unpacked the knife and it truly is stunning and a bit hard to believe that it is the same knife. I snapped a couple pics that I'll upload later when I can get on a computer( its in the process of being reformatted ). One of the taper of the handle, which is perfect. I was never a huge fan of the skimpy stock handles on sabs, and one of the distal taper which on a sab is dramatic to begin with, but with your regrind is amazing.

I just wanted to say thank you dave. I just unpacked the knife and it truly is stunning and a bit hard to believe that it is the same knife. I snapped a couple pics that I'll upload later when I can get on a computer( its in the process of being reformatted ). One of the taper of the handle, which is perfect. I was never a huge fan of the skimpy stock handles on sabs, and one of the distal taper which on a sab is dramatic to begin with, but with your regrind is amazing.

Hey it was my pleasure and I'm thankful for having the chance to work on it. I'll be looking forward to your pictures. :)

Handle pic:

IMG_0105.jpg

Handle topside/ taper:

IMG_0106.jpg

Distal taper:

IMG_0107.jpg

Nice pictures Kevin, you captured the spine and handle tapers really well. I'm happy with how this came out and that's mostly due to how much you're digging it.

Thanks again for giving me this cool project to work on. :)

Dave

Besides Salty's new suji, this may be the best thing I've seen in a long while. Refreshing change from the norm. Great job! Photos are well done, too....

Very nice job, Dave. Why does this rehandle not have spacers?

Thanks guys! :)

@tk, I left liners off of this one for two reasons, the first is that I knew that I couldn't make them fit neatly with the bunged up bolsters/tang and the second is that I couldn't picture them on this knife.

Hi Ray, I just responded over at B&B :)

*Note - to send a PM here you need to have 1 post first so you're good to go now.

Hello Mr. M,

Simply OUTSTANDING! work. Private message sent. I have a similar vintage Sabatier I acquired recently at the "Flea Market". I'm not sure of it's age.....it has the word "SABATIER" and I think I can see the Grape cluster logo. I like the "feel/weight" of this knife in hand.

Regards,
SixCats!

Thanks for the "heads up" brianh.

Regards,
SixCats!

Hello Mr. M,

Simply OUTSTANDING! work. Private message sent. I have a similar vintage Sabatier I acquired recently at the "Flea Market". I'm not sure of it's age.....it has the word "SABATIER" and I think I can see the Grape cluster logo. I like the "feel/weight" of this knife in hand.

Regards,
SixCats!

Hi SC,
I'll reply to your PM ASAP.

Thanks,
Dave

Back