Vitamix advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We get by just fine with just one large container. Something inside me wants more, though. I suspect it is my disease making its presence felt.

We get by just fine with just one large container. Something inside me wants more, though. I suspect it is my disease making its presence felt.

It is the disease...

I considered getting multiple containers, but didn't. Wise choice.

I got the CIA Professional series from Bed, Bath and Beyond - I used a 20% off coupon. I called Vitamix to ask about the differences in the 5000 series vs. the CIA and was told that they are the same. The only difference is the cookbook and DVD that is included.

How did you do this? All the coupons I see from them exclude Vitamix products for their 20% off.

Yet another vitamix vote from me.
Same reasons as stated by others: variable speed and included big, black, plunger. -Once you go plunger you never go back.

I also went through in 1 vs 2 container debate and ended up with just 1. The only place where I could see needing more than one is in a professional setting or if you have a lot of huge parties and want to serve a variety of frozen drinks.

I read that the advantage of the dry blades vs the standard is not that great and if you are in need of something better than the standard blades (like for making flour) , you should just get a food mill.

Funny timing on this thread--my fiancee and I are in the midst of doing the wedding registry thing and she keeps giving me skeptical looks about adding half a grand worth of blender to the list. Granted, she does have a point in that the only people we know who really understand the value of awesome kitchen gear can't afford to gift most of it, so adding the vitamix is almost certainly a futile endeavor.

Another vote for a variable speed Vitamix

It just does everything with no issues, just a great bit of kit that will last forever.

I want a Robot Coupe R2 and nobody else gets it.

We have both at work. The robo is great for many things, but it can't do some things the Vitamix can. And it does some things better than the Vitamix. If I had to choose just one, I would get the Vitamix. If I could only afford one nice one, I would get the Vitamix and then get a cheap food processor.

We have both at work. The robo is great for many things, but it can't do some things the Vitamix can. And it does some things better than the Vitamix. If I had to choose just one, I would get the Vitamix. If I could only afford one nice one, I would get the Vitamix and then get a cheap food processor.

I have the Vitamix, but an R2 would be a nice compliment to it. Add a Hobart n50 mixer and I'd be a happy guy.

How did you do this? All the coupons I see from them exclude Vitamix products for their 20% off.
I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I just picked up the Vitamix box and brought it to the sales counter and was able to use my coupon. I never realized that there were exclusions. I've been able to use the 20% off coupons for everything.

I can vouch for the fact that they don't always check.

I'll have to say that I love my Blendtec. I got mine on a stupid awesome deal with a refurbished blender, two jugs and a 10 year warranty for $250. The only time I've found myself wanting for a plunger thus far is when making really thick milk shakes; the end of a wooden spoon takes care fo that pretty easily. Between making soups, blended drinks, powdered sugar, & etc., I haven't found myself wanting something different. I've actually grown to really like the pre-programmed settings.

And the fact that the Blendtec doesn't come with a plunger is completely mind boggling to me and a total deal breaker.

The design of the blend-tec jar and blades are such that it doesn't need a plunger. The vitamix is basically a standard blender design on steroids, and that's fine - it works great. But a regular blender clogs up and needs to plunged. The blend-tec has some different thinking behind it as far as jar shape, blade deisgn, power and rpm's so it works a bit differently. They can virtually do the same things, each does it in a slightly different way. One may best the other is some things. End results are the same for both products. I just really like the speed dial on the vitamix and not si much the buttons on the blend-tec...

If you haven't watched any of the will it blend vids, you owe it yourselves to sacrifice a couple of minutes! I like to see him blend a custom Kramer... that would be fun... :eek2:

[video=youtube;ZWP8OUytprE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWP8OUytprE[/video]

I'll have to say that I love my Blendtec.

I love my blend-tec too, and I'm not about to swapping it for a vitamix. The results I get for purees, soups, sauces, salsas, smoothies, everything etc is simply amazing. Far superior to any other ordinary blender I've ever used, and far better than a stick belnder too. mpp

When we had the Blendtec for a couple of weeks, we found it had plunger-worthy problems almost as often as the Vitamix. I guess we like our frozen smoothies, lol.

When we had the Blendtec for a couple of weeks, we found it had plunger-worthy problems almost as often as the Vitamix. I guess we like our frozen smoothies, lol.
Thanks for the opinion. Much cheaper than Jamba Juice, and especially with four kids. Definitely, lots of smoothies.

I can add that the variable speed Vitamix is the way to go. I have a single speed, 30 second timer old model Vitamix drink maker that I got brand new almost 10 years ago for about $200. I wouldn't even care about how the 30 second timer limits the blender if I had variable speed. My blender goes from zero to tornado fast which isn't necessarily the best thing for hot liquids.

But, nonetheless, it's one of the best things I've ever bought. We use it anywhere from once to five times a week and I've never had a single problem with it.

It's awesome for smoothies, blended margaritas (it just decimates ice cubes), salad dressings, soups, pretty much anything that needs to be liquified. And I don't even use the plunger.

What were you using to make your smoothies? I haven't experienced this problem with mine needing plunging for smoothies I've made so far (nor have I never seen a barista use a blender with a plunger).

TBH, I wouldn't mind a good recipe for a thicker smoothie :)

If you haven't watched any of the will it blend vids, you owe it yourselves to sacrifice a couple of minutes! I like to see him blend a custom Kramer... that would be fun... :eek2:

If I didn't care about wasting $70 to buy a new jar, I told my wife I was going to do this with one of her previous-had-to-have kitchen "gadgets", a Magic (POS) Bullet. :doublethumbsup:

I really hate pointless wilful destruction and waste of property, so this really makes me cringe.

But then again I watch mythbusters and hollywood movies all the time... so I guess I'm a hypocrite.

I have the Vitamix, but an R2 would be a nice compliment to it. Add a Hobart n50 mixer and I'd be a happy guy.

We blend a lot of soups, and doing them in the Vitamix works well but is time consuming when you have to do a bunch. So we added this guy to our lineup. Once the soup is ready to blend, stick it in the stock pot, lock the trigger and walk away. Come back later, pass the soup through a chinoise and you're done.

We blend a lot of soups, and doing them in the Vitamix works well but is time consuming when you have to do a bunch. So we added this guy to our lineup. Once the soup is ready to blend, stick it in the stock pot, lock the trigger and walk away. Come back later, pass the soup through a chinoise and you're done.
I thought about a breville immersion blender for that. Is that a Robot Coupe immersion blender?

Back