Wa Handle Attempt #3

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James

Reaction score

This one is for the gf again. Wa handle pre-mount. The handle has a blonde buffalo horn ferrule, stainless steel spacer and natural koa.

Thanks for the kind words! My first one had a reverse taper and I ended up throwing it out. #2 wasn't too bad, but it was pretty bulky right at the handle. This is the first one that doesn't have any functional issues.

This one is for the gf again. Wa handle pre-mount. The handle has a blonde buffalo horn ferrule, stainless steel spacer and natural koa.

Just a small suggestion. I would suggest to try to come up with proportions for a handle that fit a particular knife well - length, width, height at the ferrule, height at the butt. A way to do it is to size the handle to your own hand, and do a few checks while in a process of making it - does it feel too long for a knife, too thin, too thick, etc? If the knife is thin and light, a handle can be thinner, if it's heavy, you need to make it slightly oversize. It's particularly bad when you see a massive workhorse with a tiny handle.

I think this handle could be a little shorter, and a little taller at the the butt, otherwise, a very good result for a third attempt. I like this style and I like natural Koa. How did you finish it?

Marko

Hi Marko, thanks for the tips. To me, it feels a little oversized for the blade (Tanaka VG10s being the lasers that they are). I agree with you on the dimension changes; another mm off the ferrule area and shortening the handle by 10-15 mm would've been a good way to go. As for finishing, I gave it 3 light coats of pure tung oil followed by shellac as a sanding sealer and then a little more tung oil. Post mount, I'm currently putting on a few more coats of tung oil. It's not quite as water resistant as I'd like. I'll report back in a few days.

Back