D. Martell Wa Handle Construction - Martell Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the write up. I always love to see creative solutions like this

Ah totally forgot about the ferrule! ... Duh... Is there a 'general rule' to ferrule length? (EDIT - 'Traditional Style' I suppose you would call it.) They seem to be generally around the same? Seeing as going too far too thin or too thick may not look as great. Of course that probably is subjective as well.

Glad I can use these blocks then! I just see people often use 6" blanks for "regular size knife handles"? Or is that just the length blanks are usually available in?
I like to do 1 inch to 1.25 inch ferrule depepending on overall length, assuming a simple 2 piece handle. To my eye it looks right. Others may do differently. If you're making from scratch, it's all up to you.

And full disclosure, I am not super experienced with this as others on this forum. I've only made a few for my own personal use and experimentation

I like to do 1 inch to 1.25 inch ferrule depepending on overall length, assuming a simple 2 piece handle. To my eye it looks right. Others may do differently. If you're making from scratch, it's all up to you.

And full disclosure, I am not super experienced with this as others on this forum. I've only made a few for my own personal use and experimentation
Hah no worries! I'm even less experienced than you so there's that. I figure the OG handle guys may chime in if info was misleading or incorrect. I have a bit of resesrching to do myself.

I appreciate your input, and like I said, excited I can use these peices of wood that I wasn't sure what I was going to do with. And if it doesn't go horrible I may have some pics to add to the handle thread.

Back