Walnut Bases and Strops

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 US packages are going out tomorrow.

Thanks for being patient, folks. I will clear the remaining orders in the beginning of the week next week.

M

Today shipping out orders for:

cheft98
daveb
JamesL
Sanluigi
ksmith

International orders are on hold at the moment, but I will get to them in the next day or two.

M

I am very happy with your work, and the size. I was not expecting what I got. It is wider, and longer than any stone I have (I don't have any large ones), which gives quite a bit more control. I have not used felt before now. Have heard people say how much they like it, and I can attest to every claim I have heard. It is def. worth a try.

2013-06-26 11-59-38.182.jpg

That is a Dt Itk 270, for size. the rest of the knives are just in there.... well for the hell of it.

on the left is a old stock 90mm Sheffield paring knife. From Will Catcheside.

Can someone tell me how the felt is attached to the strop? Is it glued to the base ? or is a magnetic type set up ?

Thanks

There are two types of strops, felt permanently attached to the base and felt has magnetic backing. If you use it over DMT plate, it has magnetic backing.

One uses contact cement to attach felt to wood base or magnetic backing.

M

Going to do a run of these in walnut and maple. I will post an update once these are almost done. They will be finished in poly.

-Bases to fit 11.5x2.5" DMT Plates
-Wood Strops w/felt attached 11x3"

Your walnut base proved pretty popular at the DC Show with the people who were familiar with sharpening. I had one woman pick it up and insist I sell mine to her. She would not take no for an answer, although I was finally able to get it back from her.

I am going to start a new batch next week.

I have two old orders, but other than that, if you are interested, please post here or purchase through web site here, so I have an idea how many to make. I will make these only periodically.

These will be in maple or walnut (same price) and will have felt attached. 11x3" size.

These are priced at $63.75, will have poly finish and non slip feet. Should be ready to ship on 18th of November.

M

Guessing I'm one of the old orders but if not put me down. Any pics of the walnut you're using vs. the maple?

Making 5 strops in each wood. Should be available for shipping next Monday. If anybody is interested, you can purchase it before, or when they are available.

Thanks,

M

will I get it with the strop if I order the strop JW what micron as well?

Yes, I should have it by the end of the week, if not, I will ship it separately. If you order the strop and the spray together, shipping is free, if the spray by itself, then shipping will be $5.95 extra for the spray.

M

What would the price be for both together I don't see that on the website?

Sorry for asking 308943902482039842039842039842098234098 questions but are there any plans or anything else besides felt AS WELL

What do you mean by anything else?

Strop and spray set are in the store. Click here to view

The 15% business throws me off, as it is applied to all products in the store. I think I might just do fixed prices on all items, including those in the limited time offer.

Like are they glued to the wooden base? to use different types of materials such as leather, balsa, etc

Currently I am offering two types of strops - a fixed strop, that is a felt is glued to the wood base, and a felt pad with a magnetic backing - to be used with DMT plates in 11.5x2.75 and 8x3".

I tailor products to knives I make and I find that felt and honing spray do miracles to 52100 and other steels I am using, so this is a product you will always find in my product line.

I can offer leather strops if there is a demand for these. I would probably start with getting a splitter to guarantee the uniform thickness of the leather. A good manual splitter costs in mid to high hundreds and a good electric starts at about $1500. If I get 20-30 orders for leather strops, I would bite a bullet and get a splitter. Otherwise, it's just an impractical use of resources (limited, unfortunately, as I still have a huge "to get" equipment list).

Same applies to balsa wood. Is there a demand for it? How much demand?

eeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr so tempted to purchase...... :dazed: how long does the felt usually last on these? and then do you strip it off and reglue a replacement?

I'll take walnut (magnetic felt with the DMT we talked about)

I'll take walnut (magnetic felt with the DMT we talked about)

If pleue is saying what I think he is ill take the same thing

a walnut base with a magnetic felt pad and a dmt with a diamond spray can you make that happen?

If pleue is saying what I think he is ill take the same thing

a walnut base with a magnetic felt pad and a dmt with a diamond spray can you make that happen?

I have been making this stuff for some time now.

DSC_0564.jpg

I find 11.5x2.5 plate more to my liking than 8x3, so these are plates I will offer. You can choose between 1.2K, 4K and 8K. All will work great as a stropping surface for a felt pad with magnetic backing, and the wooden base elevates the sharpening/stropping setup to a comfortable level.

I think it's a good idea for bundling these things together and offering a discount.

Felt can last a long time, I have some I have had for years. One thing you have to watch for is not to make it overly wet, as it makes wool fibers expand. Folks on the forum were able to correct spots that were exposed to moisture with steam iron, but I haven't tried it myself.

You apply a thin coat of honing spray periodically.

M

Back