Want to collaborate a bit?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm aware it's been taken care of but I was just exchanging some emails with a Japanese maker and made a really quick exaggerated sketch to show the basic look of a compound grind:
Oji1iAN.png

As another user posted...it's not really the grind concept alone that makes it work; the execution of the convex kireba (bevel) in particular can be somewhat nuanced and hard to nail down. I'm sure you guys can work it out.

Thanks for the picture! That's what I had in mind and am going to do for this knife. Should be fun!

~Luke

Hoping to get working on this knife over the next few days as I had to table it to work on the customs that needed done by Christmas. Looking forward to it!

~Luke

Wouldn't that grind pic be a bit more flat on the backside of your knife? Looks like it won't cut so great if symmetrical like that--that is, shouldn't it be flatter on the back side?

Wouldn't that grind pic be a bit more flat on the backside of your knife? Looks like it won't cut so great if symmetrical like that--that is, shouldn't it be flatter on the back side?

I'm guessing it's just the exaggeration talking. Personally, I like knives to be flat by the edge, with convex starting further up. It allows for a thinner spot where it counts. But to Luke and David, again, if you just grind it thin with a combination of grinds (flat into convex, into concave), it'll cut like crazy like all of the knives I've used of yours.

I tend to agree with you in this, but for this knife I'm going to grind it symmetrically so that it will work for a right or left handed user. The picture is definitely an exaggeration like Tom mentioned and the knife will be thin enough behind the edge and have subtle enough geometry that it should be a good cutter. I'll do cut testing with it to make sure we get it into a good place before we call it done. Thanks for the feedback!

~Luke

I'm guessing it's just the exaggeration talking. Personally, I like knives to be flat by the edge, with convex starting further up. It allows for a thinner spot where it counts. But to Luke and David, again, if you just grind it thin with a combination of grinds (flat into convex, into concave), it'll cut like crazy like all of the knives I've used of yours.

Tom,

Thanks for your kind words! That's a great idea that will help with thinness behind the edge. Sounds like a plan!

~Luke

Finally complete! We kept having to put this on the back burner to work on customs, but now that we're getting caught up we built the platen we needed and got it done. The grind came out really well, though it's a hard thing to communicate it in a picture. I've gotten close with this pic (any longitudinal streaks are from the oil on the blade):

10984110_734435296676318_7951677288337211440_n.jpg

I pushed the transition between the convex to concave closer to the edge to give better release on shorter foods. The convexity was the essential part, making it subtle enough so that the knife didn't drag. It's very thin behind the edge but doesn't feel fragile at all. The choil shot is before sharpening.

10923312_734435330009648_7485932216366141549_n.jpg

Profile and handle shots:

10500399_734435333342981_3939549595522451228_n.jpg

10955651_734436916676156_7101371650672819061_n.jpg

10950699_734436926676155_182382299278157367_n.jpg

The handle is some figured walnut and a piano key spacer.

This knife is going to the Midwest gathering that a bunch of the forum members are going to. Hopefully we'll get some good constructive feedback!

~Luke

Yeah, Luke, that looks amazing, and I know there are people itching to try this one out. Thanks for sending her north for a chilly vacation.

k.

That looks great! Turned our very nice. I love the aggressive tip profile & Slightly angled choil.
What's the weight and height at heel?
You guys are on a roll, pumping out some super sexy knives. I've gotta get myself one soon :)

Been checking back on this thread from time to time.

Luke, Glad y'all finally found the time to get this off the bench. It looks great! Handle is exactly what I'd hoped to see. Hard to tell grind from pictures but sure it's a great cutter. Impressive stuff!

Beautiful knife. If I were able to handle the wait time, I'd put myself down for a 225mm version of that.

Back