Weck & Muller 639S-5.5" boning knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got this cheap from ebay to fill out my W&M butcher's collection. It had a reasonable price since it had a hole in the handle. Seller's pix:
sellersd.jpg

Here's the hole close-up. Driller seemed to manage to even hit the tang.
20240229_144456.jpg

Haven't got too many decent images of the rehab as my phone went down during the process but here's the plugs I made to fill the hole.
20240229_144204.jpg

And an 'after' shot. Plugs turned out to be a much different color. Oh well...
I thinned this knife a bit since it had lost a few millimeters of height over the years.
It's a stiff boning knife; 2.5mm at the bolster thinning only to about 2mm just before the tip.

Weck & Müller is a brand that, as far as I can find out, was a post-WW2 knife maker from Solingen, Germany. I've found no activity from them for Third Reich blades, and none in the straight razor community either. I was told on a German knife forum they were bought out by Burgvogel/Bahns "at the end of the 1980s" and no longer exist.
This knife has been heavily used and abused but the steel quality still retains the early, post-WW2 carbon steel caliber.

Back