Weight loss support group?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Research-based fact is that cutting calories is the most important part in losing weight, much more important than exercise. However, without regular exercise, chances are slim to non-existent to maintain your lowered weight. So, getting into that routine as early as possible is a good idea...
Absolutely. I always tell people there is no denying thermodynamics. If calories in is smaller than calories out, you can't help but lose weight. The other thing is somewhere along the line, I had to find a new "normal." If you don't like your new lifestyle, it won't stick. I'm hoping I've achieved this but only time will tell.

Good points here. Bioelectric impedance measurement of fat - which most of these cheaper tools use - is notoriously unreliable unless you do it very consistently at the same time of day with the same hydration status. In the end, it measures the resistance against the free flow of electricity in water (mostly in muscles, very little in fat) and estimates the fat content based on formulae that were derived from studies with better ways to measure body compartments. There are not only measurement errors, you would ideally also use different formulae for people with different body compositions. Most of these things have separate formulae for women and men but that's it. In order to calculate compartments for obese or severely obese people, you would need a data base that allows you to generate this estimation as precisely as possible, and such data bases don't exist - or are not used for these products to my knowledge. So, I would not give much about the actual numbers, and even less so the more you weigh, but as long as you measure under the same conditions every time and allow for a few % error, at least you can track change over time.

Stefan

I average my scale at home (Taylor, electrical impedance), the one at the local drugstore (also electrical impedance but you grip the electrodes rather than stand on them) and a couple of different caliper methods. It's going to be an estimate and different methods are calibrated differently and may not be a great fit to you, personally. There's no real great way to get your body comp. so I just measure it same four ways and try to be consistent. Over time, the trends are really the more meaningful data to look at.

Guys, this is awesome, and I really think this is a great idea! Great job, Stefan!

This isn't me being showy, or arrogant/whathaveyou, but I'm cooking almost exclusively organic, and with as little processed ingredients as possible for my wife and I (even trying to use less crap for the guys at work). Simple foods and proper preparation results in healthy, great tasting meals. Check this out for some proof. :D

2E3F8DBB-C58C-43CE-83EF-296B88499988-8267-00000D3A204E5337.jpg

BDB6FC61-8AF2-474F-80D6-D0BE8407F103-8267-00000D3ADF8F8764.jpg

FB698902-B6C9-4CCD-8DC1-410C70DD1F99-8267-00000D3C103EFF70.jpg

E4A9E782-6590-42F6-A255-464285C217FB-8267-00000D3C28AE44FB.jpg

Just some food for thought....

I can tend to loose some tonnage as well. I did a tour with the Canadian Forces. I joined after college. I was 6'4" and 175 lbs with a 34" waist. When I got out of the military, I was 275 lbs, and still had a 34" waist. Since then, time, gravity, and less activity allowed me to contract Furniture Disease. My chest fell into my drawers! So I have 30 to 40 pounds I would be happy shedding. I will say I'm in, but time and cheesecake may win!!

Youth & activity keep the weight off.Inactivity & age put it on.Pierre you know what you have to do to lose weight,I wish you & Stephan some success.

Cigarettes and lots of vodka.

It works.

What's a little cancer and liver damage when you can buy 42 regular off the rack?

Pick a gimmick and get religious about it.

Gallon of water a day, no other beverages. High protein. Intermittent fasting. No sugar. Find at least one thing that you choose NEVER to cheat on. Something to change your mentality.

I'm 6'4" 195lb....was 230lb last fall. Want to drop a little more for my LA vacation, and then its bulking and heavy lifting all winter.

basically its one form of calorie restriction, right?
It is but the surprising part was that you are not hungry like some other diets. Those juices keep you pretty good.
The tough part is for the brain to get used to the fact that there is no food in the mouth to chew.

Living on a raw juice diet certainly gives you nuitrition,just make sure to wash the fruits & veg. good.One raw juice co. didn't Pasturize & people got sick.Now most of them flash Pasturize which leaves most of the nutrients.

I bought a pretty good juicer,but found I couldn't stick wt. it.It did make good compost wt. all the waste.I like to eat,funny thing is alot of things to cook wt. are healthy,garlic,onions,ginger lemongrass the list goes on.Just eat smaller portions of fresh food,salads,Fish,small amount of brown rice.Walk instead of drive if you can.It is true that raw juice will satisfy you for a while & give you energy but eventually you get hungry.

If guys on this Forum are serious about losing weight maybe a time frame would work say 3 months see how much you can lose in that amount of time & it still would not be Holiday season yet like thanksgiving:rolleyes:

Exactly you have to put alot of food in those things & most of it is thrown out.I read a book on Green Tea it has many health benefits some claims are can cure cancer & heart disease.Studies have shown that it lowers cholesterol,burning fat,preventing diabetes and stroke.I read about this Russian guy who was a solo world sailor.He was at Chernobyl & had all kinds of health problems.He drank a gallon of green tea every day & claims it brought him back to health.Like I said I make green Ice tea with no sugar really cheap I buy boxes wt. 100 bags on sale for 5.00.I put in a thermos when I do outside work.Drink it at meals & in between.I can't remember the last time I was sick.I do enjoy European Beer wt lots of Hops every now & then.

Don't juicers take out most of the fiber? That's a significant part of the benefit of eating fruits and veggies. A blender will leave in small pieces of solids, but that's part of what makes you feel full.[/QUOTE

+1...... Vita-mix smoothie is your best option if you want to go to liquid route.

There's an interesting article in the NY Times today about how exercise actual change the functionality of genes in our cells. It enhances a process called "DNA methylation" that increases genes ability to reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes and obesity.

Okay, I'm gonna join you bunch of losers. I'm not into behavior modification or support groups, but for weight loss and maintenance they're the best things for me. I'm following a program that worked for five years before. Goal is to get to 155 lbs and wear the nice clothes I had before.

Stephan, thanks for having the courage for starting this thread.

So, are you guys going to chronicle your workouts/diet/changes and say what you find is helping/working? I love the idea, but it needs to be organized so that people can track each other's progress. Otherwise, it'll just be a jumbled mess...

Don't juicers take out most of the fiber? That's a significant part of the benefit of eating fruits and veggies. A blender will leave in small pieces of solids, but that's part of what makes you feel full.[/QUOTE

+1...... Vita-mix smoothie is your best option if you want to go to liquid route.
+1 again. If our vitamix broke, we would replace it immediately. I couldn't say that about most of our appliances.

I watched this a couple years ago. Have been wondering how well it would do. I think after my 2 week stint I will try this out. I have a boss that says he tried it out, but I don't believe that he stayed on it for very long.

Check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD8e4Mg3NFU

I kid you not, I lost 10lb in 6 days.
It is not so easy but once you get in the groove of it, it works well.
Eventually you can take one meal a day in juice and it will be great diet.

So, are you guys going to chronicle your workouts/diet/changes and say what you find is helping/working? I love the idea, but it needs to be organized so that people can track each other's progress. Otherwise, it'll just be a jumbled mess...

Good point.

I've taken my baseline weight and measured my waist (relaxed--big difference from when I'm holding it in!). Since it's the first week of August, I'll report back the first week of September to see if there are any differences.
Right now I'm committed to at least two meals a day based on fruits/vegetables/legumes/whole grains/nuts. For now, limited amounts of chicken breast/fish/egg. Pork and/or beef no more than two times a week. Minimal or no dairy.
I'm planning to run three times a week. I can currently run/jog up to 30 minutes--I'm looking to increase that time for one run each week.

The above will help me focus. Looking forward to seeing other people's ideas.

I watched this a couple years ago. Have been wondering how well it would do. I think after my 2 week stint I will try this out. I have a boss that says he tried it out, but I don't believe that he stayed on it for very long.
I think going for 60 days is way too over the top here, but going on juices during the weekend is fine.
If one watches what they are eating the rest of the time it should result in a weight loss.

I wasn't thinking 60 days. More like 30 max, prob 10 like he says in the movie when explaining it.

I wasn't thinking 60 days. More like 30 max, prob 10 like he says in the movie when explaining it.
I think 10 days is perfectly doable, the biggest hurdle IMO is realizing that no solid food intake is OK, hard to convince the mind though.

It's important to remember that losing weight is good, but keeping the weight off is the important thing. Too many diets have you do things that are unsustainable so you lose the weight, but then it comes right back. What works best, in my experience, is the slow and steady method that comes from changes in diet and activity. It you can't change your life style you won't keep the weight off

Just posted my 'last meal' in another thread. Although I agree with Myron, I am generally aiming more for a long-term change rather than a short-term extreme diet. Losing weight is not a problem, keeping it down is. And I have plenty of attempts behind me... At least I learned from them, and I know I will have to deal with being impatient because of slow progress, but I also know that anything extreme will be less maintainable (is that a word?).

Stefan

It's important to remember that losing weight is good, but keeping the weight off is the important thing. Too many diets have you do things that are unsustainable so you lose the weight, but then it comes right back. What works best, in my experience, is the slow and steady method that comes from changes in diet and activity. It you can't change your life style you won't keep the weight off

I agree life style changes take more time.Some people who have been eating only processed foods for years actually go through detox.Radical weight loss in short time liquid diet is unsustainable.Over time eating slower,smaller portions,Quality fresh food & exercise you will lose weight maybe not as fast as radical diets but what good is it if you lose weight fast only to gain it back.

Ever try chewing water? More chewing is better!

Good point.

I've taken my baseline weight and measured my waist (relaxed--big difference from when I'm holding it in!). Since it's the first week of August, I'll report back the first week of September to see if there are any differences.
Right now I'm committed to at least two meals a day based on fruits/vegetables/legumes/whole grains/nuts. For now, limited amounts of chicken breast/fish/egg. Pork and/or beef no more than two times a week. Minimal or no dairy.
I'm planning to run three times a week. I can currently run/jog up to 30 minutes--I'm looking to increase that time for one run each week.

The above will help me focus. Looking forward to seeing other people's ideas.

I'd focus less on running longer and more on exercising more often. I try to wake up and immediately do something for 30 min. Low impact is more sustainable and it can be any exercise that moves your body weight around. Heck, getting up and lying down a couple hundred times is pretty good exercise. Do it while you're watching the tube.

Just catching up here. Still working on getting into it. i signed up for the Weight Watchers online program about a week ago because this gives me a decent guidance about the food intake I have. I like that it provides structure but also some flexibility, even though their 'point system' takes some getting used to. But with phone/pad app and website access it is easy to track intake.

Bought a bunch of fruit today and will prepare a few things for the next days, especially for breakfast, that I can take to work rather than picking up junk somewhere on the way. Also got some cans of V8 in the fridge now which I actually like (the spicy kind) as 'snacks' but never thought of in recent months. And I got some King Arthur whole wheat flour for bread and such. My bathroom scale should arrive tomorrow, and I expect to be fully 'on track' by the weekend.

Once the diet side is prepared and planned out a bit better, I need to get my lazy behind to exercise. That might be the bigger barrier, will have to see how I set that up.

Anybody else working on this?

Stefan

Back