What About Kiritsuke

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I don't understand how people see these as limited it is a gyuto after all. Perhaps using it has just become second nature to me and my cutting techniques are such as to make the most of the shape. I don't quite understand how thicker skins make a difference with the kensaki gyuto.

As for the single bevels having more uses due to thicker blade this is actually not quite true. It wouldn't be good for splitting sweet potato or any sort of squash although slicing sweet potato into planks of whatever width for tempura the kiritsuke and usuba are awesome at that. At least I find them awesome at it after years of use I certainly didn't at first

There really aren't limits to what a kensaki gyuto vs traditional gyuto can do just depends n the user and technique and realizing the different profile requitres a different approach

I think he means the flat profile. However that depends on the maker so it can not be said of all kensakai, no?

He He do you really need an excuse to buy another knife.Besides a Single Bevel Kiritsuke is so friggen cool.:knife:

Well if I really needed an excuse it would be, "I'm still really good at slicing with it."

If you are really into the kiritsuke shaped gyuto yet don't want to buy a new knite, while you have a gyuto that's just a tad too long for your liking?? Take it to the DMT and some stones! It's easy to create that dramatic angled edge and then you just gotta smooth it out and thin your knife out a bit! I've done it on one of my utilities and it took some elbow grease but totally worth the effort!

Back