What are some of your favorite pieces of gear?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ask the guys at work, they'd say a cup of coffee, my Harner, and someone else to tackle the dishes.

Ask my wife, and she'd say, my stereo/iPhone, my cup of coffee, my maple granny spoon, my deBuyers and my Catcheside.

Coffee machine, microplane, bottle of gin in the freezer and silicone spoon/spatulas 3 of them

a bunch of things I need on the daily gotta go with a nice peeler, microplane, and mixing bowls you can never have enough of them

If you ask the guys at work, they'd say a cup of coffee, my Harner, and someone else to tackle the dishes.

Ask my wife, and she'd say, my stereo/iPhone, my cup of coffee, my maple granny spoon, my deBuyers and my Catcheside.

Hey! The granny spoon rocks lol

cant forget about the beats Panda

nothing more creepy than a quiet kitchen and the loud blaring of the hood vents

Just curious what are some items (feel free to list a few that you feel strongly about) of kitchen gear that you really like? ..............
What are some things you really love, and couldn't imagine not having (or wouldn't want to be without)?

:coffeelots: Espresso machine :coffeelots:

I like music during prep sessions in our back kitchen or when I'm cleaning down. During service and especially when I'm setting up my section I can't stand any kind of distraction at all, a whole new persona takes over.

For me, knives are a pretty obvious choice. Even if I don't have to use them a lot, I feel completely lost without them. A pre-service coffee or tea is usually on the cards too. In terms of other equipment for service.. I would hate to be without a couple of tea towels, a set of tongs and a stack of spoons. Fish spatula is handy too. I'm pretty desperate for a solid microplane at the moment too come to think of it..

glass Jars (hate plastic and keeps everything organized!)
Fish slice
Beaded whisk

for me its whisks. i have like 30 different whisks.... im like crazy OCD about combining things and i need the right whisk... this guy is like an extension of my right arm:

http://www.ekitchenworld.com/746696...cagpspn=pla-&gclid=CLL73d_g6rwCFcEDOgodiHwAIw

foxrunbasketwhisk.jpg

JB Prince offset plating tweezers. Lost a pair one time and felt disabled without them.

Wooden spoons. The only thing they do special, is remind me I'm cooking for family. Gotta drop some of the work posture when you're at your mothers house, and do it the way she did.

Generic herb scissors, lintless side towels, and sharpies. I would like better scissors but cannot get past the $3 price tag and they have lasted over 2 years

My meat grinder and my proc get a good workout when called on. Bakers racks are a must too.

Cast iron cookware
30+ year old John Boos butcher block
Anova immersion circulator
Blendtec blender
KitchenAid Mixers
Food mill (can't remember the brand, but LOVE the thing)

“Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit.” ― Anthony Bourdain

Salty, replace those knobs with lighter ones right now. They have two major flaws, one they make them heavy so they feel "quality" but the stems and valves that support them aren't speced to take the weight. The other giant problem with Southbend knobs is that the piece of the knob that fits to the stem is plastic, and will melt and cause the knob to fall off. Seriously replace them. The weight problem specifically can cause all sorts of gas regulation problems down he road. Ask me how I know....

I hear you. The last range was 64 years old. We scavenged knobs, the flat top, racks. They don't make 'em like they used to.

When I was at my last job we had a montague for years that had wine corks for knobs and zero heat control. It was either all or nothing. About a year before I left we got a south bend. Nightmare ensues. I go to the new kitchen, with the same owners, same ******* range. This time, however, the repair guy tells me about the knobs when the first one goes, and the problems that plagued the other one have been kept largely at bay. The last time I was hanging out at the old place they had a new range, the Southbend only made it two years. Now it's a fryer that is threatening to put me in an early grave.

Ugh. I knew there was a deep seeded reason why I hung on to the old one so long. We'll see. On the plus side it cooks much hotter than the old one.

Back