What are we watching lately?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Netflix Live to be 100. The
secrets of the blue zones.

After the holidays worst for eating cookies & all the other unhealthy junk. Janice was watching it so caught my interest. Four episodes.
5 blue zones on earth where people live to be over 100. Enjoyed it because all had similar lifestyles.

5 Blue Zones:

Okinawa Japan
Ikara island Greece
Sardinia Italy
Nicola Costa Rica
Loma Linda California

Most of these places more women over 100 then men. Two both genders. All had community & reason to get up every morning herding sheep on slopes all the chores that go with it.
Japanese no lazy boy chairs getting up off tatami mat floors. In Italy & Greece walking up steep hills & roads.
Growing much of their own food making meals from scratch. Supporting each other. Most plant based complex carbohydrates & fruits. Wine, herbal teas. Fish, seaweed, lamb, chicken. Though not wealthy money wise, rich in laughter, dancing, riding horses. Active outdoor life styles. Most faith a part of community Catholic, Buddhist, 7th Day Adventist. Some of these places are isolated like Ikara Island Greece.
A guy from there came to America started own business car house family. He got sick early middle age doctors told him didn't have long to live. So he & his Greek wife went back to his home Island to die. He planted a wine orchard. Thinking even if he wouldn't be around at least his wife would enjoy it. He lived to be over 100.

On Netflix Live to be 100. The
secrets of the blue zones.

After the holidays worst for eating cookies & all the other unhealthy junk. Janice was watching it so caught my interest. Four episodes.
5 blue zones on earth where people live to be over 100. Enjoyed it because all had similar lifestyles.

5 Blue Zones:

Okinawa Japan
Ikara island Greece
Sardinia Italy
Nicola Costa Rica
Loma Linda California

Most of these places more women over 100 then men. Two both genders. All had community & reason to get up every morning herding sheep on slopes all the chores that go with it.
Japanese no lazy boy chairs getting up off tatami mat floors. In Italy & Greece walking up steep hills & roads.
Growing much of their own food making meals from scratch. Supporting each other. Most plant based complex carbohydrates & fruits. Wine, herbal teas. Fish, seaweed, lamb, chicken. Though not wealthy money wise, rich in laughter, dancing, riding horses. Active outdoor life styles. Most faith a part of community Catholic, Buddhist, 7th Day Adventist. Some of these places are isolated like Ikara Island Greece.
A guy from there came to America started own business car house family. He got sick early middle age doctors told him didn't have long to live. So he & his Greek wife went back to his home Island to die. He planted a wine orchard. Thinking even if he wouldn't be around at least his wife would enjoy it. He lived to be over 100.

I'm currently into True Crime Documentaries again. Making a Murderer was one of my favorite Series, because of the sh*t that happens there. I still recommend Making a Murderer for entertainment purposes, but it leaves so many questions unanswered.

However, recently another documentary has been released, called Convicting a Murderer. It portrays the Steven Avery case from a different angle.
For anybody who watched Making a Murderer, I can only recommend watching Convicting a Murderer. Episode 1 can be watched on YouTube.
Episode 1

Its a little bit hard to find the other episodes on the internet, but it can be watched.

And for anybody who is also interested in other cases, I found "I'll be gone in the dark" a pretty good documentary series as well.
Trailer

I just got done rewatching season 6 of Top Chef with the Voltaggio Bros, Kevin who looks like Yukon Cornelius, and Jen from Le Bernandin. It's now on Netflix and it might be the best season of the show.

Reservation Dogs on Hulu was a total revelation, and I keep coming back to The Bear. They run neck and neck for the Best "Current" Series IMHO.

Looking forward to the latest season of True Detective with Jodie Foster,
which premieres this weekend. Even if it's less than great, it's reason enough for a rewatch of Season 1.

It's also the 25th anniversary of the Sopranos so I may have to drop over to Satriale's and bust some ballz, if you know what I mean.
(Many scenes from the show were shot within walking distance of my home in Montclair NJ, including the Holsten's finale.)
Parallel parking? Fuggedaboudit!

NSFW for language

Reactions: Kgp
I just got done rewatching season 6 of Top Chef with the Voltaggio Bros, Kevin who looks like Yukon Cornelius, and Jen from Le Bernandin. It's now on Netflix and it might be the best season of the show.

Reservation Dogs on Hulu was a total revelation, and I keep coming back to The Bear. They run neck and neck for the Best "Current" Series IMHO.

Looking forward to the latest season of True Detective with Jodie Foster,
which premieres this weekend. Even if it's less than great, it's reason enough for a rewatch of Season 1.

It's also the 25th anniversary of the Sopranos so I may have to drop over to Satriale's and bust some ballz, if you know what I mean.
(Many scenes from the show were shot within walking distance of my home in Montclair NJ, including the Holsten's finale.)
Parallel parking? Fuggedaboudit!

NSFW for language

I agreee, just watched it as well. Very good one. I wish they hadd all seasons, I am slowly watching the other 1 available but it's def not as good.

I also picked up game of thrones 4k discs, going to rewatch that sad/fiun/madness

I agreee, just watched it as well. Very good one. I wish they hadd all seasons, I am slowly watching the other 1 available but it's def not as good.

I also picked up game of thrones 4k discs, going to rewatch that sad/fiun/madness
I think they'll add all the other seasons eventually.
I've got Bravo on Demand on my cable package and they've got all 22 seasons or whatever.
We watched the first couple episodes of Season 1. Kathie Lee was awful and so was Tom but it's interesting too see how early they hit on the formula.
The production values are better, but it's still Quickfire, Elimination, and someone packs their knifes.
I watched season 2 which is the Marcel season. Seems like the first thing he does is show the other chefs his knives, though we don't get to see them.
Mike Voltaggio was up early sharpening his knives but I couldn't tell what they were.
Funny how the "draw" knives are all Global.

GOT is pretty great when it's great. I always maintained it was a political show and the dragons were basically nuclear weapons.

A year or two ago I suggested the book, "Slow Horses" by Mick Herron for my book group, a humorous spy thriller set in London about 'f' up intelligence agents put out to pasture in an office where they can do no more harm. I enjoyed the book.
A while back the wife and I started a streaming subscription to AppleTV, where I noticed they have adapted the book into a TV series starring Gary Oldman as the crusty ol head of Slough House, to much acclaim. I started to watch it, but it was too soon and I didn't feel up to redigesting what I just read. Then I found out that they cover the whole book in season 1 and then go from there, so we gave it another chance last week, AND WE ARE HOOKED. My one complaint about the book was it was billed as humorous, and while I did find it amusing at times it didn't really produce any 'laugh out loud' moments. While the show really adheres to the plot of the book, somehow this is fixed, after a slow start in episode one, it really gets going by episode two and was cracking us both up. I'm very curious about how it will proceed after the first book's plot is done. All the season's are getting rave reviews so far from what I've seen. Gary Oldman is certainly well cast in the role and is delivering a great performance so far.

A year or two ago I suggested the book, "Slow Horses" by Mick Herron for my book group, a humorous spy thriller set in London about 'f' up intelligence agents put out to pasture in an office where they can do no more harm. I enjoyed the book.
A while back the wife and I started a streaming subscription to AppleTV, where I noticed they have adapted the book into a TV series starring Gary Oldman as the crusty ol head of Slough House, to much acclaim. I started to watch it, but it was too soon and I didn't feel up to redigesting what I just read. Then I found out that they cover the whole book in season 1 and then go from there, so we gave it another chance last week, AND WE ARE HOOKED. My one complaint about the book was it was billed as humorous, and while I did find it amusing at times it didn't really produce any 'laugh out loud' moments. While the show really adheres to the plot of the book, somehow this is fixed, after a slow start in episode one, it really gets going by episode two and was cracking us both up. I'm very curious about how it will proceed after the first book's plot is done. All the season's are getting rave reviews so far from what I've seen. Gary Oldman is certainly well cast in the role and is delivering a great performance so far.
We have watched them all and enjoyed them. One thing I have learned from watching British tv is to turn on the subtitles. Real easy to get lost with some of the accents.

I'm of Scottish decent. My ancestors go back to early 1700's in Virginia.

Can understand most British programs, the heavy Scottish accent I miss some of it. Janice puts on the subtitles. She likes all that British stuff esp. murder mystery.

I'm of Scottish decent. My ancestors go back to early 1700's in Virginia.

Can understand most British programs, the heavy Scottish accent I miss some of it. Janice puts on the subtitles. She likes all that British stuff esp. murder mystery.
We love Shetland but really need the subtitles. Same with Annika.

Check out "Broadchurch" on Netflix, good stuff

We enjoyed Shetland a lot too, and totally need the subtitles also!
We watched Broadchurch and enjoyed it. We broke down and subscribed to Britbox so we could watch Inspector Morse and Lewis. Loved Endeavor on PBS. Also into Luther and New Tricks. Really getting tired of prime time network tv. How much crime is there in the navy that they need five or six NCIS versions?

I became a fan of down under movies back in the video tape rental days. Foreign movies section.

I like Russell Crowe, Sam Neill, &
Nicole Kidman as actors.

Under the radar flix like Dead Calm if you haven't seen it your missing out. Sam Neill Nicole Kidman 1989 Kidman was young actress back then.

Breaker Morant
Gallipoli
The Piano
Proof
Wake in Fright
The Boy
The Nightingale
Worlds Fastest Indian
Beyond the Edge
The Hobbit trilogy

Some of these are New Zeland flix.
Few more recent, most older movies.

There are more just can't remember them all

Finished watching The Curse. It was fascinating but I'll never watch it again. Gave me Twin Peaks season 3 vibes.

Last weekend I also watched both seasons of The Bear. Someone told me it was a comedy but it really wasn't. Season two was better than season one, overall a good show.

True Detective season 4, so far should be called True Defective. Let's see if it gets better but not holding my breath.

Reactions: Kgp
Finished watching The Curse. It was fascinating but I'll never watch it again. Gave me Twin Peaks season 3 vibes.
I watched the first episode. Wasn't enough of a hook to continue and it just seemed weird.

I record off TV movies. If start doesn't look good erase them. A lot of streaming is series things that better be good because of time invested. To keep watching hoping it will get better idiotic. I know have done that. :mad:

Last weekend I also watched both seasons of The Bear. Someone told me it was a comedy but it really wasn't. Season two was better than season one, overall a good show.

True Detective season 4, so far should be called True Defective. Let's see if it gets better but not holding my breath.
Not giving up on True Detective yet, but I’m concerned that it won’t get be better. The first season was far and away the best.

@Kgp Agreed. The intro is a lot faster-paced than Band of Brothers. It is so hard to beat that one. I have enjoyed the first couple of episodes though! Band of Brothers, The Pacific, and now Masters of the Air. All of them 100% worth watching.

True Detective has been OK. They are trying to play up the mystery of the North in the same way that they highlighted the South in season 1. I'm not sure if that has been successful. It's a smidge hokey. I'm curious where they are going with this frozen organism and its connection to the TD cult. I get sci-fi vibes and I'm not sure if that is a good thing.

Just watched the Circle 2017 film staring Tom Hanks. I think was made as Israel's
Pegasus Spyware was being sold to governments, police, anti terrorist groups. Also sold to authoritarian govts. to percicute people who were against them.

Spyware infects phones as long as you have #. Allowing operators to messages, emails. Able to record, also set up secret microphones and cameras. That's in the real world not Hollywood tho the movie was a wake up to power of technology for spying on people.

Just watched the Circle 2017 film staring Tom Hanks. I think was made as Israel's
Pegasus Spyware was being sold to governments, police, anti terrorist groups. Also sold to authoritarian govts. to percicute people who were against them.

Spyware infects phones as long as you have #. Allowing operators to messages, emails. Able to record, also set up secret microphones and cameras. That's in the real world not Hollywood tho the movie was a wake up to power of technology for spying on people.
Panned by the reviewers.

Recently watched a couple shows I loved. Daisy Jones and The Six was fantastic. Bad Sisters on Apple TV was fun. Started a new on last night, if you like wine try "drops of god" The new season of True Detective was terrible so I stopped but went back and watched season 1 which is one of the best things ever put on TV.

Back