What are we watching lately?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All four films classics.
I've seen Chinatown and LA Confidential before years ago, but watching again as part of a video series I've been following for in depth discussions on them. Pretty fun to watch a movie and make your own thoughts on it and then afterwards hear some alternative takes or pointing out of things you didn't notice.

I'm constantly seeing new movies and tv series, you could say that I'm addicted haha Saw a lot of not nice movies recently, there is quite a while since I haven't seen movies that made me really interested. The last ones I've seen that were actually interesting; Oppenheimer, The incredible life of Henry Sugar (Although I thought it was a bit still), Tetris, Babylon. Probably I'm forgetting a lot of movies, but this were the ones I remembered.

In the series end of things, loved Ashoka, Gen V is ok, Loki looks nice, the continental is ok, liked the wheel of time. Not really recalling a lot more, those are the ones I've seen/am seeing currently. The best series for me this year was The Bear season two, the episode I liked the most was the Forks one, AWESOME.

These are all my opinions.

If you have PBS streaming Nova is doing Earth Series. I read science because it interests me. I like earth & nature video esp. if well done. First episode how earth got atmosphere. Covers how earth became a water planet & beginnings of bacteria, cells, first multicellular organisms.

Second is Snowball earth caused in part by huge volcanic activity beginnings of plate tectonics. How life survived in harsh conditions. After massive melting of ice bringing minerals & nutrients from rocks beginnings of explosion of life on earth. I liked how they brought forth that Geology & Biology are totally linked.

Reactions: Kgp
I’ve been enjoying The Continental
I was proper impressed by this Peacock production. Its only a 3 part mini series but from the soundtrack to the acting and production design it exceeded expectations.
Another recommendation is Lupin. Now in its 3rd season and have just finished Series 2. Good story and character development. The interweaving of the timelines is also excellent.

I rewatched The Kid Detective a few days ago, quite an underrated film. Hardly anyone talks about it but it's really good.

Has anyone stuck out 100 series about after Earth nuclear war generations have been born & survived on huge space station?

On Netflix I'm on 2nd season it has 7 in all with quite a few episodes in a season. Rotten Tomato's gives the later seasons 100%. I don't usually get hooked into marathon series. Like the shorter stuff or regular movies. The different tribes of people who survived on earth has some interesting characters. Space station Air People, Grounders are tribes who evolved on earth. Just wondering if anyone else has watched this. It's got me kind of hooked.

Has anyone stuck out 100 series about after Earth nuclear war generations have been born & survived on huge space station?

On Netflix I'm on 2nd season it has 7 in all with quite a few episodes in a season. Rotten Tomato's gives the later seasons 100%. I don't usually get hooked into marathon series. Like the shorter stuff or regular movies. The different tribes of people who survived on earth has some interesting characters. Space station Air People, Grounders are tribes who evolved on earth. Just wondering if anyone else has watched this. It's got me kind of hooked.
My wife and I watched this, it is ok, the characters are kind of simplistic and you have to put up with some teenagery soap opera drama, but it was entertaining for us nerds, I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.

I recently signed up for a free trial of AppleTV, the wife and I are really enjoying "Ted Lasso." We are also watching "The Morning Show," which is decent, although I have heard it goes downhill after the first season, I guess we'll find out.

I watched it with my wife. Gets a bit, odd, the last couple seasons.

I saw a double feature yesterday of The Report (2019) and then Bullet Train (2022).

They were surprisingly similar in terms of quality within their respective genres.

I recently signed up for a free trial of AppleTV, the wife and I are really enjoying "Ted Lasso." We are also watching "The Morning Show," which is decent, although I have heard it goes downhill after the first season, I guess we'll find out.

Not watching now, but for anyone who has Apple TV 100% would recommend Ted Lasso and Severance.
Agree with Severance and Ted Lasso. Would add Silo… and Dinosaur Planet if you enjoy nature shows or dinosaurs.

Forget the Kono Kaiju, this is the real deal OG Kaiju and 2023's Breakout blockbuster from Japan, apparently made for measly $19 million. Pocket change for Hollywood. Anyone seen Godzilla Minus One yet?

Godzilla Minus One review: roar and emotional | ScreenHub Australia - Film  & Television Jobs, News, Reviews & Screen Industry Data

Been into military movies after re-watching Band of Brothers and The Pacific. 13 Hours, about the Benghazi attack, was well done. I followed that with The Outpost, a true story that had two Medal of Honor recipients. If you like watching military movies, both are highly recommended.

I'll check those out. Like military movies too. Couple favorites A Thin Red Line based on ww2 author James Jones book. A Terrence Malick directed masterpiece.

Another German Das Boot submarine movie director Wolfgang Peterson. Been good Sub movies this one is the best.

Liked Battle of Britain famous actors played real life characters, great flying scenes. Was expensive to make in 1969. Showed real life figures represented on German side too. Acting was good except the 1960's type romance spat drama. Film was pretty accurate to how events happened. English on the ropes as Germans bombing airfields how events happened Hitler to bomb London instead allowing air core to recoupe & attack fleets of bombers & Me 109 fighters using Spitfires & Hurricanes.

I have been so annoyed with tv shows/movies lately... It's either I am getting old and seen everything or a sheer plethora of them = watered down... I seem to start new one that feels interesting on the premise and then it's so boring...
I gotta be careful to avoid "movies peaked when I was in high school" (which isnt true anyway, they peaked before then in the late 90s)

However, I think that quality right now is at an all time mediocre. Not low, oh no. Because the 50s happened. But today while I dont think there's that much that is super awful, there's also not much good (and what is good is usually independent or an accident that quickly gets whored out into mediore [speaking of which RIP andor season 2 it's gonna suuuuuuuck]). Risk aversion is at an all time high in the industry, there's no middle, Netflix/Amazon productions are a net negative even if some of the shows are good, and the tax rules that allow for the HBO/Disney **** need to go YESTERDAY they are literally shoveling completed movies into the furnace for a writeoff there is just no way that should be allowed. Oh, coincidentally, the MBA gained in popularity from 1975 all the way up to a peak level in 2014 as I understand it.

Unrelated but:

I enjoyed Blue Eye Samurai a lot recently.

Ive got some vacation coming up so Im gonna grab a month of HBO Max to watch Barry + Fiona and Cake.

First Aquaman knew would be mindless blockbuster, watched it anyway enjoyed it. Sure I'll watch the sequel.

Last animated move watched was Rattaouille.

Girls in hiking group loved Barbie said it was really funny.

I enjoyed Blue Eye Samurai a lot recently.
Into the 3rd episode and really enjoying it too. Good story telling and characterisations, matched by the sumptuous production design. Well worth seeking out. There was even a TF Maboroshi making a guest appearance.
mab.jpg

my head is scrambled from watching INVASION on Apple-TV. the hot ass Japanese actress got me hooked and the crazy insane storyline is keeping me hooked.

Just saw the first three episodes of The Curse.

Toe-curling but I also did loudly chuckle a lot.

Back