What are you carrying?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Messermeister petite chef paring (fits in the pen part of my whites)
Wusthof classic 120 boner
Tojiro dp 180 petty
Tojiro dp 240 western deba
Tojiro dp 240 gyuto
Victorinox fibrox 255 baker's
Yoshihiro 1141 270 ktip suji
JKI diamond 6k
Fish spat
Microplane

270 Gesshin Ginga stainless gyuto
210 Takagi Honyaki gyuto Aogami 2
210 Miyabi Kaizen ii gyuto
210 Katsura gyuto (workhorse,line knife)
10 inch Mercer chefs (first knife,beater,loaner)
12 inch Chicago bread knife
Zyliss paring knife
rubber spatula
microplane

I carry,

310mm Gyuto heavy duty Damascus (Xerxes Knives)
250mm Workhorse Gyuto(Selfmade, 1.2562 Steel), about Kato geometry
170mm Xerxes Petty (1.2442 Steel)
290mm old DICK Carbon Chefknive
100mm Herder parer
300mm DICK Breadknife
Microplane

for special fish days in Germany

300mm Doi Sakimaru Takohiki
330mm old Yanagi unknown maker
300mm old DICK Carbon Chefknife (former beater, but thinned)

for Home Use:

240mm Kato Gyuto
270mm Kato Workhorse Gyuto
Nakiri, Petty, Sabaki, Gyuto (2times one of selfmade Niobsteel, and the other one 1.2562 SanMai) Koraat Knives
290mm Gyutohiki selfmade Filesteel Honyaki
Some Tanaka, Yoshikane, Sakai Takayuki, Herder knives.
KAI Breadknive

Greets Sebastian.

This Friday I am carrying :
Kato workhorse 240 mm gyuto
Hiromoto 240 mm gyuto
Hinoura 240 suji
Kotetsu 180 mm bunka
Wakui Nakiri and santoku 180 mm
Tojiro bread knife
Fujiwara 210 mm gyuto
Takeda parring
Blazen speluccino
Yanagiba 210 unknown brand
Honesuki 150 mm glastin
Yo deba 165 misono dragon

I'm a home cook, so I don't carry knives around much, but here is what is on my Mag rack at home.
CCK 1303
Dexter 12" chef
Forgecraft 10" chef
Ichimonji 240mm Gyuto
Shibata Kotetsu 210 Gyuto
Artisan 210 Gyuto
Custom mini chef ~6.5" by Big Chis on BladeForums (handle by me)
Masakage Yuki 165 Bunka

And here is what I take with me when I travel for a weekend or more. Excessive yes, but these are all knives I got for practice, or just got upgraded over time. Nothing fancy if I only use it for a meal or two when I'm visiting family. Mostly cheap stuff, odds and ends that have no place in my daily needs.

Dexter Cleaver (carbon)
Chicago Cutlery knives 44S, 42S, 41S
Old Hickory Chef 8"
Old Hickory Slicer 8"
Tramontina Boning knife 5"
Pairing: Forgecraft and Case
5 Cutco Knives, old and new

And how do you like my Cereal Box blade covers? Crude, but free and functional! Also gotta have some tongs with me because they are very handy and many people don't have them when they need them.

Right now I am carrying

270 Yu Kurousaki AS (syousin chiku) Suji
270 Konosuke HD K-tip
240 Tanaka Ginsakano K&S edition
210 Intinomonn Suji (line knife)
170 Masakage Koishi Bunka
CCK 1303
Hiromoto AS 150 petty
Delbert Ealy damascus pairing knife
some bits and bobs : spoons etc

Tsukiji Masamoto 240 gyuto
Togiharu 165 deba
Misono UX10 150 petty
Le creuset silicone spat
Wusthof 8
Zwilling parer ('normal'/sheepfoot)
Measuring spoon
Ceramic peeler

I'm a home cook, so I don't carry knives around much, but here is what is on my Mag rack at home.
CCK 1303
Dexter 12" chef
Forgecraft 10" chef
Ichimonji 240mm Gyuto
Shibata Kotetsu 210 Gyuto
Artisan 210 Gyuto
Custom mini chef ~6.5" by Big Chis on BladeForums (handle by me)
Masakage Yuki 165 Bunka

And here is what I take with me when I travel for a weekend or more. Excessive yes, but these are all knives I got for practice, or just got upgraded over time. Nothing fancy if I only use it for a meal or two when I'm visiting family. Mostly cheap stuff, odds and ends that have no place in my daily needs.

Dexter Cleaver (carbon)
Chicago Cutlery knives 44S, 42S, 41S
Old Hickory Chef 8"
Old Hickory Slicer 8"
Tramontina Boning knife 5"
Pairing: Forgecraft and Case
5 Cutco Knives, old and new

And how do you like my Cereal Box blade covers? Crude, but free and functional! Also gotta have some tongs with me because they are very handy and many people don't have them when they need them.

Kitchencommander I like your style!

Thank you very much. Currently working on re-handling the Artisan so it looks as nice as the others!

Just curious, why carry around the cutco knives? It looks like you've got a nice selection of Japanese and some old carbons. Do you find them uniquely useful?

He said they are his travel knives either upgraded from or bought for practice.

Yeah, I saw that, and I can see a place for the old carbons as decent cutters for a weekend trip, same for the Chicago stainless... I was wondering why lug around the cutco ones as they tend to not get much positive feedback (outside of the people duped to pay a few hundred $ by their traveling college salesman) when you have the rest available.

Probably because nothing holds an edge for more than one meals worth of prep -_-

Yeah, I saw that, and I can see a place for the old carbons as decent cutters for a weekend trip, same for the Chicago stainless... I was wondering why lug around the cutco ones as they tend to not get much positive feedback (outside of the people duped to pay a few hundred $ by their traveling college salesman) when you have the rest available.

That is a fair question. And here is my multi-part, long winded answer:

1. I do not travel with my nicer knives, I do not want them to be damaged during long trips in the trunk of the car. And when I am cooking at other people's house, I routinely have to loan knives, which I do not like to do with expensive cutlery. So I stock the kit with lower cost options that I modified or got for cheap.

2. Before I started buying nice kitchen knives, I did start with some overpriced Cutco. So I already had some from back in the day before I knew better, so I feel obligated to get some use out of them. The mini Santoku was from this time. I paid the price, now I am getting some of my money's worth.

3. I found some (the older models shown in the photo) second hand for very low cost. I found a set of 4 old Cutco's for $30 for the set, which started my Travel kit when I first started putting it together. Then the 9" Chef knife on the very right I got at a flea market for $15. I find that for that price Cutco's are a good value.

4. Cutco knives actually do cut well. They are nothing special, but since I already had some, and got the others for cheap, they make a good addition to fill up the slots in my travel kit. Eventually they will be replaced and probably gifted (already happened to a couple). They are overpriced new, but I have seen Chef knives on E-bay for under $30 used in good shape, and I feel they are worth that price. Handles are not very comfortable at all, but they have decent grinds and solid heat treat for the 440 steel.

I find my $15 Cutco Chef knife cuts better than the $9 Chicago Cutlery Chef Knives before thinning. They hold an edge about the same (not very long). The other odd Cutcos are just there because I had them, and on the off chance that they may be useful. Honestly I only regularly use a couple of the Chef Knives and the pairing knives, but its fun to have them all there just in case.

Wakui Nakiri 180 mm, takeda gyuto 250 mm, blazen takamura petty 130 mm

1461100128281.jpg

240mm masamoto ks
150 mm tanaka ironwood
240 mm masamoto sujihiki
7inch wusthof classic boner

2x Marko 240 Chefs
240 Misono Swedish Suji
300 Toyama Noborikoi Yanagi
210 Sukenari Deba
Victorinox Serrated parer

270mm Ironwood Nenox Gyuto
240mm Ironwood Nenox Gyuto
150mm Ironwood Nenox Petty
150mm G-Type Nenox Honesuki
210mm Masanobu Petty
240mm Masamoto VG Suji
210mm Sakai Takayuki Deba
270mm Suisin Tanryu Ao-ko Yanagi

Today:
210mm Watanabe suji
240mm Munetoshi gyuto
270mm Shigefusa mioroshi

Tomorrow:
Cocktails. Hello vacation.

Today:
210mm Watanabe suji
240mm Munetoshi gyuto
270mm Shigefusa mioroshi

Tomorrow:
Cocktails. Hello vacation.

Nice line up! Have a great vacation!

This weeks line up:

Itinomonn-
150 stainLess petty
210 stainLess gyuto
180 v2 nakiri
270 v2 gyuto with burnt chestnut/horn handle

Tojiro-
210 dp petty
bread knife

and a laser-
240 Ikazuchi gyuto

also a Idahone fine rod

Something about the Itinomonn line that really works well for me. Solid workhorse knives that aren't too expensive that I worry about them.

Cheers,
rj

Nice line up! Have a great vacation!

This weeks line up:

Itinomonn-
150 stainLess petty
210 stainLess gyuto
180 v2 nakiri
270 v2 gyuto with burnt chestnut/horn handle

Tojiro-
210 dp petty
bread knife

and a laser-
240 Ikazuchi gyuto

also a Idahone fine rod

Something about the Itinomonn line that really works well for me. Solid workhorse knives that aren't too expensive that I worry about them.

Cheers,
rj

I agree. They're still my go to for new cooks with a low budget looking to dip their toes in the real knife pool.

My current batterie consists of a Carter 240 and Konosuke HD 270 gyutou, Misono Swedish 240 sujihiki, Kikuichi honesuke, Misono Swedish hankotsu, Mac curved boning, Konosuke Fujiyama 210 mioroshi, Tojiro bread knife, Mac ceramic honing rod, and some assorted tools.

As a home cook i don't carry anything and I think that in England I'd get arrested if I did.
Scotsmen are allowed to carry knives in their socks though. :knife:

Home cook also so, I don't carry anything on a daily basis...

but when I visit my father, I will often take with me:

Hiromoto AS 24cm Guyto
Aritsugu Honesuki
(some times I may take 21cm yanagiba)
A leather strop

And next time I visit my mother I will carry a JNS300 and a Unknown 1000 synthetic to sharp her knives (and leave them there).
No reason to carry any knives as I gave her two Fujiwara FKM as a gift 1 1/2 year ago.

Camping: a victorinox suisse knife.

Latest posts

Back