what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmmmmm
20240412_190428.jpg

When I could still drink beer, St Feuillien Blond & Tripel were pretty high up on my list of favorites. Bit of a shame you can barely find them anywhere.

I've recently started buying at auction. These 3 are my latest purchases. Left to right, a single cask 23yo Glen Grant, 17yo Tasmanian whisky and a 17yo Caol Ila that was exclusively bottled for Shinanoya, a Japanese retailer in Tokyo. The CI is exceptional.View attachment 314696
What’s the Caol Ila aged in, refill? That’s a dreamy combo if so.

I’m not a big Speyside drinker, but I worked on the launch of a 50 year old Glen Grant special release a few years ago and got to try some - it was like drinking liquid Christmas pudding blessed by Jesus Christ himself.

What’s the Caol Ila aged in, refill? That’s a dreamy combo if so.

I’m not a big Speyside drinker, but I worked on the launch of a 50 year old Glen Grant special release a few years ago and got to try some - it was like drinking liquid Christmas pudding blessed by Jesus Christ himself.
Caol Ila matured in refill American hogshead so likely Bourbon judging by the colour. The old sherry matured Glen Grants are amazing. Shame the younger, official releases are so blah.

Caol Ila matured in refill American hogshead so likely Bourbon judging by the colour.
Refill Sherry is my favourite for Caol Ila, but it’s such a versatile spirit.

I haven’t bought any new whisky in a while, but that’s probably a good thing looking at current prices. Whats the auction scene like?

Whats the auction scene like?
Unpredictable. But by doing your homework and bidding within strict limits on less well known independents and distilleries, bargains are to be found. I'm typically paying 60-70% of retail after auction fees. I also store bottles until I have 3+ to reduce the quite high shipping costs. The main advantage that auctions offer is opportunity to purchase older, rarer and unusual bottlings. Some crazy prices in recent years like Springbank 21 selling for over a 1000 quid. I paid 175 retail in the UK for the 2019 release.

Back