what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CE3D74AC-A70E-440B-B4B4-2EDD043CF2FF.jpeg

What the heck. It’s Monday night.

Wait, what? Maple syrup in your Old Fashioned. I might have to try that.
I personally don’t go for it all the time, but when I’m in the mood it’s very moreish and adds great body.

Good choice. Love the "estd 1995" when most of these distilleries are rocking 200+ years. Loud and proud.
I absolutely agree, too many iconic distilleries are putting out watered down, chill filtered, artificially coloured crap these days.

I don’t mind a younger whisky at all so long as it was aged in an active cask.

how does this compare to the bonded or barrel strength?
The Barrel Strength is too spicy for me and harder to find, so I don’t really look for it. The 1897 bonded is my go-to OF. I like the flavor bomb of caramel and the smooth finish. I’m more into mellow bourbon these days. Think Blue Run and Hibiki. Lucked on the High Angels Share last week. First time to try it. I think this is up there and might be my new favorite. Didn’t need water to open up and with the 110 proof, it was smooth and thick with oaky, sugary goodness.
I’m no bourbon connoisseur, by the way. Just buy and taste what I can grab here.
Edit: If you meant the other 117’s, I haven’t tasted any. This was my first.

Last edited:
If it works, don’t fix it!

Old Fashioned cocktail

Attachments

• IMG_4532.jpeg
    IMG_4532.jpeg
    959.2 KB · Views: 0
Good choice. Love the "estd 1995" when most of these distilleries are rocking 200+ years. Loud and proud.
Yeah, new restaurant opened up down the road a few years ago, and put "estd 2019" on their sign. Knowing the industry around here, it'll be sold off before its 10th birthday and that sign will be hanging in the back of a bar.

On topic: work week starts in 7.5 hours, so we have a little Lagavulin 16 nightcap and call it a day.

Wine finishes can be a bit gimmicky but young Caol Ila is punchy enough to balance it all out.

View attachment 308413
There’s a bottle of store pick Caol Ila that’s all first fill sherry. It’s almost an inky purple, always tempted but it’s just beyond the price bracket of something I’d buy for curiosity. Been awhile since I’ve had a caol ila even though it was my go to for some time, this post may push me over the edge…

Wine finishes can be a bit gimmicky but young Caol Ila is punchy enough to balance it all out.

View attachment 308413
I've gone off wine finishes or any vatting like Glenallachie Cask Strength 10 that contains wine cask maturation. I do have a couple of bottles of Sauternes and Madeira matured whisky but these get boring and I probably won't buy another. For me refill sherry matured and more recently Bourbon matured are where I spend my money. I just picked up an amazing 17yo Caol Ila from Gordon & MacPhail bottled for a specialty Japanese retailer in Tokyo. Thats from a Bourbon barrel. I'm picking up as many G&M bottles as I can since the announcement they are moving away from the Independent bottling market.

There’s a bottle of store pick Caol Ila that’s all first fill sherry. It’s almost an inky purple, always tempted but it’s just beyond the price bracket of something I’d buy for curiosity. Been awhile since I’ve had a caol ila even though it was my go to for some time, this post may push me over the edge…
I've gone off wine finishes or any vatting like Glenallachie Cask Strength 10 that contains wine cask maturation. I do have a couple of bottles of Sauternes and Madeira matured whisky but these get boring and I probably won't buy another. For me refill sherry matured and more recently Bourbon matured are where I spend my money. I just picked up an amazing 17yo Caol Ila from Gordon & MacPhail bottled for a specialty Japanese retailer in Tokyo. Thats from a Bourbon barrel. I'm picking up as many G&M bottles as I can since the announcement they are moving away from the Independent bottling market.

@ethompson I have personally yet to have had a peaty first fill sherry that I felt was a waste of money. At worst, you might end up with something a bit on the sweet and sickly side, you can be fairly confident that it won't be flat and one-note. At it's best, you can end up with something meaty and savoury, which is delightful. Is it a distillery bottling or indie?

That said, I prefer Caol Ila in refill or bourbon casks, as it's quite a lemoney/briney profile that can get lost in an overly dominant cask maturation.

Don't think i've tried any Caol Ila older than 15 years, but i'd like to! Dram swap when @Corradobrit1 ? I had a phase of finding sherry matured Speysides incredibly boring, but sometimes they're nice when I want a dram but don't want something especially complex or challenging. I seek out distilleries using wormtubs for those though like Benromach.

I seek out distilleries using wormtubs for those though like Benromach.
Distilleries using worm tubs do stand out but that signature can be a little dominating and repetitive. I do like older Craigellachie and Mortlach. Last night I was drinking a sample of Benromach 2013-2023 Batch 1 cask strength. Really enjoyed the flavor profile and sweetness. Not dissimilar to the 17yo Caol Ila I mentioned. And for 65 euro its a bargain

that signature can be a little dominating and repetitive.
I don’t disagree, it’s what I go for when I want something easy and familiar.

Supposedly Benromach is the poor man’s Springbank, and I can see the comparison.

Back