What Camping/EDC to get?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James Brand is just a gimmick in my opinion. They seem to want to position their brand as a some kinda boogey, those-in-the-know, bro, EDC brand and charge those kind of prices. They also don't expressly state where their products are made but don't seem to mind at all if you believe they are made in Portland Oregon.

There's nothing much innovative in their knives.

Reeves Integral Locks and Axis locks have been around a long time and M390 as well. They also don't tell you the HT of the M390 and the knife community knows all too well just how varied M390 can be out there, like as low as 56-58HRC. VG10 is a dime a dozen.

Their knives are also not what I'd consider for outdoor use.

You don't have to look very hard to find what I consider comparable, or even better, products from overseas makers at much lower prices.

This is all my opinion of course.
Screenshot_20240417-110321.png

Well, that's progress I guess. At least they list it now.
Yeah.

The price doesn't make sense to me. Maybe if it was at least 50% cheaper? I'm not a big EDC person, so my opinion holds very little weight, but I think Spyderco would be a much better choice.

And who knows if the steel is legit or counterfeit.

Yeah.

The price doesn't make sense to me. Maybe if it was at least 50% cheaper? I'm not a big EDC person, so my opinion holds very little weight, but I think Spyderco would be a much better choice.

In general, I prefer to not support EDC knives out of China, largely due to the mass counterfeiting and cloning that is rampant in the space. It is certainly plausible that the same factories turning out the common brand names are also turning out the counterfeit products and some of that has been found in the past.

But, that's me and a personal choice. In terms of product quality, for sure there is a ton of counterfeit stuff, clones, and deceptive/dishonest junk out there, but there is no denying that in the past few years there's been a significant surge of some really nice stuff out of China.

Brands like Artisan Cutlery, Civivi, Kizer and WE span a bit of the budget spectrum and routinely get praised for their quality. Those and a few others are where I would look for China-borne EDC stuff.

I don't keep up with the EDC world as much any more as I've settled on what I like and am not really into fancy folders but again, there's some good Chinese stuff to be had at often very reasonable prices.

On another note, another thing to consider, especially for a harder use knife, is customer service. Spyderco is renowned for theirs, with ole Sal himself often jumping in to answer questions or help get something straightened out.

Spyderco also has their byrd line that is Chinese made and they are a good value.

If you are planning for board use, We Vision R, Civivi vision FG, or a Spyderco Spydiechef (this one is on the bigger side of EDC though, long and wide).
These are the only folders I found that have knuckle clearance and feels naturalish coming from Kitchen knives.

Yeah.

the Steel would be legit but it's far too much money for a knife if they're going to manufacture it someplace with less labour laws and employee protection.

the Steel would be legit but it's far too much money for a knife if they're going to manufacture it someplace with less labour laws and employee protection.
Oh absolutely too much money.

I'd say it'd be too much money, even if it was designed AND made in the U.S. Even if it was made in Hipster country.

My favorite camp knife is my Orford woodlander 4". O1, scandi grind, natural micarta scales, kydex belt sheath. The scandi grind is tailor made for wood working, so it's great for splitting kindling (batonning), shaving curls for tinder, and carving random camp-related objects (spoons, tent stakes if you want to, etc...).

1 - Orford - In Sheath.jpg

2 - Orford - 1.jpg

3 - Orford 2.jpg

Stonewash finish is pretty durable, that's been camping a few times and you can see some scuffing at the "shoulder" of the grind from splitting kindling but that's about it. Scandi grind is also very easy to sharpen.

That said, it's not an optimal grind for slicey tasks in a camp kitchen. You'll want something FFG or high "scandi-vex" for that. Probably stainless too.

Or you could just get a nicer Orford:

1713400898809.png

https://benandloisorford.com/

😈 😈 😈

I use Mora's for camping they are cheap ($10), easy to sharpen and bullet proof. I like the carbon ones but you can get SS if preferred.

I have beaten, batoned etc. on them. I still have the same set of 6, I purchased 20 years ago. They have a patina but I have no complaints.

I have used the for meal prep and for steak knives. I will say they are not ideal for board work. For meal prep, unless you are back packing or something, a 6-8 inch Vic, Mercer or Misono chefs knife can be purchased for $30-$40 and solves meal prep nicely. 7 knives for under $100. You probably don't need 6 Moras but I don't typically sharpen my knives when camping.

If I really felt the need to purchase a nice bushcraft knive. I would probably look for a pre-owned vintage Marbles drop point.

https://ragweedforgestore.com/collections/mora-1

I might just skip KitchenWear for the knife if I can't find what I want and try another shop that has more EDC knives. I'm now down the rabbit hole of EDC...why are there $900 EDC knives??! hahaha

Right now I'm looking at the Spyderco Endela
1713414434998.png

vs
Kershaw Federalist
1713420188752.png

or yes..this James Wayland
1713420376509.png

Last edited:
View attachment 316075So I did a thing.
Thanks for all the advice.

Many, many people adore the handle shapes on these but I tend to find the bumps hit me a little wrong. If you find that as well, don't be afraid to take some sandpaper to the FRN. It sands readily and you can ease it some to suit you more. You may well find you're in the former (majority) group though and love it.

Many, many people adore the handle shapes on these but I tend to find the bumps hit me a little wrong. If you find that as well, don't be afraid to take some sandpaper to the FRN. It sands readily and you can ease it some to suit you more. You may well find you're in the former (majority) group though and love it.
it bugged me (hahaha SpyderCo) that the blade seems so small compared to the handle. I wanted a more conventionally pretty knife like the James stuff. But I figured I'd give ol Spyderco a try. I'm a metal nerd at heart and this is a K390 blade.

I don't have a K390 blade yet. My other Spyderco is a 3Cr13 s Bug.
My minibuck which I've had since I was 13 is somewhere around. It's like 37 years old now.

it bugged me (hahaha SpyderCo) that the blade seems so small compared to the handle. I wanted a more conventionally pretty knife like the James stuff. But I figured I'd give ol Spyderco a try. I'm a metal nerd at heart and this is a K390 blade.

My minibuck which I've had since I was 13 is somewhere around. It's like 37 years old now.
You picked a very good knife. Spyderco knives are good in general and their k390 is excellent. Great company too.

Sal likes to say he designs his knives from the edge out. For him, the beauty is in the function and I couldn't agree more. Once you get used to the thumb hole opening, the back lock, the feel of the knife, it really does meld.

A Lynch clip is also a nice addition down the road if you choose.

Sal likes to say he designs his knives from the edge out. For him, the beauty is in the function and I couldn't agree more. Once you get used to the thumb hole opening, the back lock, the feel of the knife, it really does meld.

A Lynch clip is also a nice addition down the road if you choose.
I tried googling a lynch clip. Why would I need one? The knife has a clip.

This Spyderco is a much better knife than I expected. I’m loving it.

I've used these knives quite well for camping. I also have a Spyderco C11, a small and handy knife. It's always kept inside my camping pack.
MORA is a great choice. cheap, effective, and durable.
IMG_20240424_223236.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240424_223236.jpg
    IMG_20240424_223236.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back