what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SOG tanto
tf7_bg.jpg

I was in to pocket knives before coming over here, so this is my kind of thread. I have somewhat "completed" my folding knife collection, so I found Kitchen knives as the obvious next step. My current drawer of knives I rotate through is as follows. I have most of everything in the photo below, and some that have been added. I haven't taken a current photo of my knife drawer in some time.

F63827E8-9D05-4C52-A4FD-503922A29B32_zpsoddu9aub.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Spyderco
Sage 2 titanium
Cally 3 carbon fiber with ZDP
Southard with a custom scale I made
Stretch ZDP (not carried much)
Dragonfly ZDP

Benchmade
581 with M390
707 Sequel
556 Mini Grip with M4 blade
Kulgera
Mini Skirmish
Lum Tanto (not shown)(weekend knife)

ZT
556 (not shown)

Chris Reeve
Cocobolo Inlay Large Sebenza (not carried much)
Gabon Ebony Inlay Large Sebenza (not carried much)
Umnumzaan
Gold Leaf Small Sebenza (special occasion knife)

290092CA-2C63-4829-8B7F-48F89DA32761_zpszlzptm6b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not quite as thin and "slicy" as the small Spydercos I have been carrying for the past few years, but the modified sheepsfoot shape seems more practical to me for day to day cutting than the regular sebenza profile (though that gold leaf version above is very cool). It is very comfortable to slide your thumb or forefinger along the spine out towards the tip for fine control. It is solid and I am looking forward to carrying it for years to come.

Koki from Japanese Chefs Knife seems to have a second site called japaneseknifedirect.com. Lots of good looking Mcustas there but I have not tried one:

Img893.jpg

It looks like they also make kitchen knives too:

51ao5s47F6L._SL1000_.jpg

anybody use MCusta?

I was considering buying one years ago but they are very small and the reports I got were that they were typical quality for the area. I cant recall if I've seen one in person.

in that vein I can heartily recommend William Henry, however.

Been using my Leatherman Skeletool as my current EDC. Best pocket knife ever. Its actually my second skeletool because I lost the first one a while back.

Leatherman Skeletool CX
Al Mar Ultralight
Benchmade Mini Barrage
H&K Scorch Code 3
Kershaw Leek

SOG or CRKT have been what I've been carrying lately, usually in the $40-$70 range. I will use my pocket knife for things it's specifically not meant to be used for prying, screwdriver, whenever a sharp piece of metal will come in handy. So I don't really spend a lot of money on my pocket knives, just something that is comfortable and slender enough to not be a big obstruction in my pocket. I've never destroyed a knife using it the way I do but if I did I wouldn't be bummed seeing how much I spent on it.

maybe look into an atwood tool? or a wallet card?

part of why I carry a sebenza is that if I lost it I could get a knife of identical quality easily. maybe not cheaply, but it doesnt take much effort.

Just checked out the Atwood tools and while they are cool it's not something I would like to carry around. I'm 25 and need something I can drop in the mud, wash off and not worry about. I wouldn't feel good carrying around a several hundred dollar knife in my pocket worrying about it. Besides my own misuse I find my knife comes in use when I least expect it, SHTF moments. Breaking down boxes and that kind of crap? Meh I generally find it easier not having a tool in one hand and just using both hands. Dropping a keg on a beer line during the rush and needing to cut it down so you can fit it back on to the nipple? Hell yeah, Sure there are better tools but when I need it in a pinch I've got no problem reaching for my knife and putting it through hell. Kitchen knives are the exact opposite just for the record hehe.

I was considering buying one years ago but they are very small and the reports I got were that they were typical quality for the area.
red--what do you mean by "typical quality for the area"?

part of why I carry a sebenza is that if I lost it I could get a knife of identical quality easily. maybe not cheaply, but it doesnt take much effort.

agreed... CRK's precision is amazing. one of the reasons i carry one as well. i've seen so much variability come out of some spyderco products that i typically don't buy them any more unless i can pick the best one out of 3 or 4.

Doug Ritter RSK Mk1 in S30V (very similar to the original Benchmade Griptilian)

rsk_mk1_red_03-800w.jpg

Carried this guy around for about 10 years now... doesn't have the best edge retention, but tends to stay acceptably sharp for long periods of time.

I work in an office environment so I have my CRK Mnandi in Draindrop Damascus (Devin Thomas) Snakewood inlay.

I lost mine Super blue Dragonfly and will probably replace it one with HAP 40 steel blade once out (sometimes this year?) But now I am strongly tempted by the large Sebenza 21 for outdoor activities - looks like a very nice slicer with very functional design - but has Shigefusa gyuto price ...

I lost mine Super blue Dragonfly and will probably replace it one with HAP 40 steel blade once out (sometimes this year?) But now I am strongly tempted by the large Sebenza 21 for outdoor activities - looks like a very nice slicer with very functional design - but has Shigefusa gyuto price ...

you wont regret it.

Ive carried most of the major production company's knives; Striders, Spydercos, Benchmades, Emersons, Zero Tolerance, Microtech. Ive had a chance to fondle an awful lot more (including Hinderers, William Henry).

A Large Sebenza 21 is the only knife I carry.

I can think of only one item I have ever purchased that I thought was a better value proposition than a large 21: my cherished OM 50/2 Auto-Macro; a lens that is so good I sold my Leica M2 and Zeiss 50/2 Planar within a month of purchasing it not because I thought the OM was almost as good but because suddenly every image I took with any other lens seemed inadequate in comparison.

I sold 2 large 21s before I figured it out. I dont know what possessed me to try again, but I sold off nearly the entirety of my collection after I got the third one. There's definitely a difference between a Sebenza and even a nice spyderco like a Techno or a ZDP-189 Lum Chinese. With age comes wisdom or some **** like that.

I usually carry 90s vintage Benchmade Elishewitz ATS-34 folder (I have three of them, two brand new in box, I like it so much: it's really the perfect knife, in my opinion), or a Spyderco large Bob Lum (the Bob Lum Spyderco feels really special, and the Spyderco VG-10 takes a great, great edge). These are both fairly large knives, but Spyderco has a smaller version of the Lum.

you wont regret it.

Ive carried most of the major production company's knives; Striders, Spydercos, Benchmades, Emersons, Zero Tolerance, Microtech. Ive had a chance to fondle an awful lot more (including Hinderers, William Henry).

A Large Sebenza 21 is the only knife I carry.

Sebenza seems to be "industry standard" in high end production pocket knives. There is awful amount of nice knives around that price, I am trying to figure out what would be the best for me (with very eager help from guys at bladeforums), but I am trying to be careful as I do not have personal experience with these kind of knives - very most of which I would have to order from outside EU. Sebenza can be had directly in Germany and if I do not like it I can simply send it back within 2 weeks (must love the German laws from time to time :) ) So unless some other knife rally vows me, than I will get the "plain" large Sebenza.

Nothing like a large sebenza for heavy use. I carry the mnandi because of its size. Living in NYC you need to have a very non conspicuous EDC.

I'm looking to replace my old mini griptilian in 154cm. I love the knife but I'm looking to go sharper, ideally carbon. I work in an office/lab so no heavy prying or abuse, just opening boxes, prepping media, and the occasional steak burrito. Anyone have know of a good option?

I'm looking to replace my old mini griptilian in 154cm. I love the knife but I'm looking to go sharper, ideally carbon. I work in an office/lab so no heavy prying or abuse, just opening boxes, prepping media, and the occasional steak burrito. Anyone have know of a good option?

I do not have quite as much experience with folding knives, but I would have a look at the Spyderco offerings. It if course all depends on your budget, but something ilke Delica or Caly 3 (and several other models with blade shape similar to caly) could be a ticket. And yes - there were limited (so call 'sprint') runs of several spyderco knives in super blue steel - I had the Caly 3.5 (solid super blue steel), but several other models (inlcuding Delica) were available in the super blue clad with stainless. You may have a hard time to get one.

If the budget is no problem than you may want to check out the small Sebenza or Mnandi from Chris Revee. Also have a look at the smaller models from LionSteel.

OK, there is a reason why I have mentioned the small Sebenza above ... the postman today brought a little package and inside was ... a small Sebenza and also Spyderco Worker. I will take a few days to decide whether to keep any of the two (I should rather say I will try hard to persuade myself to send one back) - they are both really lovely.

And I completely forgot - there is also the Spyderco Air - small lovely gentleman's knife with M4 (semi-stainless tool steel) blade. Check it out.

I usually carry 90s vintage Benchmade Elishewitz ATS-34 folder (I have three of them, two brand new in box, I like it so much: it's really the perfect knife, in my opinion), or a Spyderco large Bob Lum (the Bob Lum Spyderco feels really special, and the Spyderco VG-10 takes a great, great edge). These are both fairly large knives, but Spyderco has a smaller version of the Lum.

That Elishewitz is a beautiful thing. Like the boxy BMW's we also had in the 90's, the lines are strong and simple. I had a Stryker, the old one with the assisted opening, but would have dropped it in a second for the Elishewitz if I'd had the cojones to spend that much. Now I'm onto the kitchen thing and German law isn't fantastic for street carrying.

Back