what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up a used Carter neck knife but I carry around more often a higonokami folder.

I carried one of the Jess Horn Spyderco C34Ps forever, but it got lost in the jumble somewhere up at my In-Laws place (I'm still holding out hope). So I've recently dusted off an old Elishewitz custom Stryker from the late 90's (the design Benchmade used for their production line). Blade is a little thick for what I have been accustomed to, but I enjoy it more each time I handle it.

I carry a Carter neck knife and a Higonokami. You may need 2 knives, you just never know...:pirate1:

Easy to open and close. They don't lock. They're thin - mine is 5.5mm thick, in total, with a 2mm thick blade.

Never seen one with a pocket clip, but you could put one on (using the lanyard hole).

I found higonokami to be slightly loose over time, but it's an easy fix. Too bad I have lost two already...

Most days a Real Steel E571
Real-Steel-E571-photo-3.jpg

My old friend has been found! it's really the perfect shape and size for an EDC. The interesting thing is I didn't notice the F&F on it until I carried around the custom made in the interim, but now I notice little things here and there that I didn't before.

VAN88U1CQ8-C5rPPZCX6VCnXVuX_-LXmT53dYwaAgyOXOhK3a9fcsO-tYTlnPskL8BY29Pu2DqDfl3j-LFDxTjaL-xgbzjNu5CQ_weEsQ1wMsFMlMvT59vjY_A7BUeJdxOvfh6eqQq4X5owd-sZlMOnQyk6n0OfrPdyt2HWB0IKFsGeA_82CRXB3oA2LLyWP2RK3M9iGwjO1a_y4La2CQfZ2u4rr-xRJ8YlH_5oB0peYOMeAIGE5_pdk_EoeuefO948m-UBMU8WrpchSB2u5spXKnVe9706Fk8FI4EB3ltEB5aMjqhzdoLIKLqEP6QH06Bu4WuZLOF8Yt-PjKOKZo5meeHQKafbnl7IjMeN7JJPUNvZTnrbOSXRH5bIjtU-8R8xifGttqD9kd2xIJKek114_9rlB0js93tGCVoMzjCSH8dD0Z3J8y6ydMz4L_GERnvVbEvf4lo9RQiDgOD92q1mKp2tPdzgkrOA8X3wOTX9FPtQdbo-n6YnVwtURVxycerA7VoKlbJ_GGn7G9fAn_0z1Y3QwGbJ2tC_UU907jwk=w1680-h950-no

Edit: GOT IT

Something "custom"
My friend Neil Lindsay made this one for me. Its HHH damascus and some deep blue almost black mammoth ivory scales. Mokume bolsters :)

Loving it

I really like this thread. What do you pocket knife guys think of the kershaw leek? good cheap edc ? 14c28n 3" drop point (hollow ground?) for 44USD shipped...

I really like this thread. What do you pocket knife guys think of the kershaw leek? good cheap edc ? 14c28n 3" drop point (hollow ground?) for 44USD shipped...

I wouldn't consider myself a pocket knife guy but you can't go wrong with Kershaw. Iv had a Kershaw ken onion leek in my back pocket everyday for 5 years. It's my quick easy grab for cutting boxes or packaging. Still flips like a charm and sharpens easy. Also it's quick and easy to open and close with one hand which is great when you other hand is wrist deep in chickens.

Since I got into pocket knives I have on and off relationship with Small Sebenza 21 even though I have to admit it is so simple, robust and well made, that it is hard to ignore. I have put my hands on loads of pocket knives over past few months (see below), a few stood out in one or another way:

Spyderco Delica - just really fits hand well, not too expensive, very practical blade shape. All-around EDC - I will probably get one sooner or later

Spyderco Leafstorm - a really particular design with short strong blade. The handle design people either hate or love. I liked it :)

Spyderco Dragonfly - great big little knife - excellent for all small tasks short of cutting your stake or 'bratwurst' as I find the blade a tad too short for that. Very good grip which one would not expect give the size. Feather light too.

Freeman 451 Button Lock Flipper - heavy duty folder - not really for cutting your afternoon apple. Excellent handle, very stout and smooth - an excellent value in its category (I count it in 'mid-tech' knives). Loos super cool too.

Spyderco Worker - I just love the design. The blade is relatively strong with pronounced hollow grind. Not a slicer, but a very cool utility knife even if it could be a little less butt-heavy. But I just love it (and may get it in the future again)

Spyderco Chaparral - interesting knife with very thin blade. Great EDC - sexy and slim, but it somehow did not really fit my taste.

Southard Tolk - a BIG flipper, very well made - even slightly larger than Large Sebenza. It is still in my drawer, but I will probably be selling it - too much of a knife for me. But I love the blade and handle shape. Fits hand perfectly.

Kershaw Leak - excellent city EDC - the blade is very thin - a real slicer. The opening is assisted (though not automatic) which I did not like quite as much. Very good value IMO and can even be had with more fancy steel if 14c28 should not be good enough.

Great Eastern Cutlery - Northfields #38 grinling whittler - some of the most complicated traditional patterns (has split back) and a real jevel of a knife. Made in a way knives have been made for more than 100 years. All blades are 1095 steel. I actually plan to use it for whittling. The stag handle is really nice.

Northwoods Willamette whittler - actually also made by Great Eastern Cutlery. I just could not resist that blue camel bone handles. It is one cute little knife.

I actually have one or two more on the way - I really fell for the traditional folders recently. I must find the way out before it gets too expensive :)

southard looks sweet, until i saw how much they run for. i can't justify more than $100-ish for a pocket knife where its main purpose is opening boxes and plastic bags. that said, i'm in need of a heavy duty(completely water proof) one that is also slim. i had a kershaw before but the liner lock is completely rusted and somehow seized up so the blade won't even come out. i just threw it away instead of rehabbing it as i know it would just rust again.

southard looks sweet, until i saw how much they run for. i can't justify more than $100-ish for a pocket knife where its main purpose is opening boxes and plastic bags. that said, i'm in need of a heavy duty(completely water proof) one that is also slim. i had a kershaw before but the liner lock is completely rusted and somehow seized up so the blade won't even come out. i just threw it away instead of rehabbing it as i know it would just rust again.

Spyderco delica 4. I've been using one for a couple months now and its great.

had a spyderco(got stolen unfortunately), it was great except i hated the location of the release button, it needs to be on the bottom of the handle right near the pivot for one handed operation.

The Tolk would be a bit of overkill for opening boxes. As mentoined already the Delica would make a good Job there, but even Dragonfly is more than enough for that. If you need knife that can withstand salty water, than Spyderco has knives with H1 steel (contains Nitrogen instead of Carbon and do not rust at all) - you can check them here.

Well I ended up getting an Ontario Rat model 1 (it's the less gentlemanly size)... it was on sale at amazon for 40 CAD so I figured, cannot really beat the price and would make a nice xmas gift for myself. I think the scales are g10, the blade is aus8 which I have some experience with.

I took some pictures. Actually quite impressed with this for the price! Have not had to sharpen it yet, but I'm just a city slicker. Boxes don't seem to be any trouble for the edge, I stropped a microbevel onto it.

17uxq9.jpg

3517tif.jpg

1f92tx.jpg

I hope to find an equally good value "gentleman's folder" because admittedly alot of people are intimidated by this thing.

I have to admit that since I got into traditional pocket knives (which are mostly slipjoints), I have learned that for little daily tasks a lock is not needed. Currently I carry the BladeForums 2015 forum knife - a sweet little knife with some 53g, 2 blades (440C, larger clip point and small sheepsfoot), just under 10cm closed. I still do carry the small Sebenza in my shoulder bag, but actually consider it to switch to large Sebenza for outdoor carry.

The Forum knife was made by Canal Street Cuttlery and to my knowledge these were the last knives they made before they folded.

Advantage of the traditional slipjoint is that it does not scare people around in the office environment :)

Here the 2015 forum knife (I was trying to be a little creative :) ):

EDIT: for those that look for a good value simple knives that are not too modern and 'tactical' - traditnional knives can be had for under $100 (e.g. from W.R. Case or the simpler GEC models=) or even less from Rough Rider (should be around $30). The forum knife was a little under $100 (for US buyers that is)

The only knife I carry on any regular basis is a first gen. SOG Tomcat I picked up at the Base Exchange while still on Active duty
pre 1990,
not my pic, but it shows the correct S.M.Ca engraving
sog-tomcat-1-original-smca-engraving.jpg

I use an opinel, so when I lose it once a year I don't get sad.
Ditto. I used to say 'who cares how easy they sharpen; I lose them before they get blunt'. But turns out for the price it's actually a great steel & blade as well. Surprised there aren't more people using or recommending these. Main downside is that the wood grips have some give over time and they don't do well with water.
I don't really do EDC or anything; only carry a knife on vacations so it mostly sees action cutting cheese & sausages and cutting nylon rope for rappels.

Will be upgrading soon to a Mora; another great bang for your buck knife with pretty decent steel. Also to use alongside the Victorinox the army gave me that only has serrated blades... :eyebrow:

I have had a chance to briefly try the Eka Swede 92 - now that is a well made knife. No fancy materials, just a well HT 19c27 blade, strong lock and handle that fills your hand. In US available probably for around $50. I am now ordering Swede 60 with bubinga handle.

Here the Swede 92 next to Sounthard Tolk (which I am selling) and small Sebenza (which I will probably keep as I like it too much :) )

i have a little Benchmade. wanted to try 390 steel

I have many pocket knives.... these days I prefer the longer versions around 12cm D’Albrac

dalbrac.jpeg

decided i want to get a spyderco dragonfly 2 in super blue, but they appear to be discontinued and not in stock anywhere. dont see any on the bay either, anyone know of any other sources?

I've got the ZDP model, and wanted to find the super blue model, but wasn't successful. Other than the clip bending and coming loose, the ZDP189 one has been holding up well after being thinned down pretty significantly.

Back