What do you have on your wrist?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just before Christmas 2020 I got myself a Weiss Standard Issue Field Watch 38mm manual wind... It has probably been my most worn watch during 2021. And starting out good for 2022 too..

View attachment 161768
View attachment 161767

A year later, still my favourite watch.

PXL_20230127_072213627.jpg

so last thursday or so omega raised the prices once again on their watches.

as you may or may not know i have a speedmaster pro "sapphire sandwich". i remember the first time i saw this watch in 1998 or so. and the list price was around 18-1900€. i think. maybe it was for the plastic crystal one.

so either way. back in 2016 or 17 i decieded to get my very own sapphire sandwich. now the list was ~4000€ and i knew they would be raising it to 5k very soon. i haggled it down to 3200. wanted it at 3k but 3200 was doable too.

today, the list price here is 9400€ fvcking lol. they gotta eat too i guess. so now the price is 200% higher. or 3x as much. you can't haggle the prices down anymore. its so bizarre this.

but hey i have one. and i'm thinking about selling mine. for the first time ever.

so i just wanted to show how i have abused mine. my particular one is no safe queen. its a user. and i have used it very sporadically, but hard it seems :)

do you guys think i have abused it or have i simply used it they way it was supposed to be used??

omega3.JPG

omega1.JPG

omega2.JPG

as you may or may not know i have a speedmaster pro "sapphire sandwich". i remember the first time i saw this watch in 1998 or so. and the list price was around 18-1900€. i think. maybe it was for the plastic crystal one.

so either way. back in 2016 or 17 i decieded to get my very own sapphire sandwich. now the list was ~4000€ and i knew they would be raising it to 5k very soon. i haggled it down to 3200. wanted it at 3k but 3200 was doable too.

today, the list price here is 9400€ fvcking lol. they gotta eat too i guess. so now the price is 300% higher. you can't haggle the prices down anymore. its so bizarre this.

but hey i have one. and i'm thinking about selling mine. for the first time ever.

so i just wanted to show how i have abused mine. my particular one is no safe queen. its a user. and i have used it very sporadically, but hard it seems :)

do you guys think i have abused it or have i simply used it they way it was supposed to be used??

View attachment 224781

View attachment 224782

View attachment 224783
Keep it. You will regret letting it go… It is gorgeous!

do you think i can "restore" it??

iirc i think p600 paper gives the exact brushed finish. and i mean exact the same finish. id did it on the clasp once.

today, the list price here is 9400€ fvcking lol. they gotta eat too i guess. so now the price is 200% higher. or 3x as much. you can't haggle the prices down anymore. its so bizarre this.

View attachment 224781

View attachment 224782

View attachment 224783
Love the fact you wear and it shows it’s history of being worn! Keep it - it’s a keeper for sure. And a gorgeous watch

Love the fact you wear and it shows it’s history of being worn! Keep it - it’s a keeper for sure. And a gorgeous watch
i was checking the local market the other day. and its all watches worn like, twice or so. "still have the plasic on the clasp" lol. i understand that these are collectors and have lots of these type of watches. and they mostly use these to look at.

but i want to use mine. if they can go to the fvcking moon with it i think it should handle my adventures.

also to be honest todays speedmaster pro is a hightech marvel of coaxial dicks, silicon springs and antimagnetic bullsh1t this and that. and it has absolutely 0 to do with a real speedmaster imo. imo todays model just looks like speedmaster pro. and even the bracelet looks like crap. they nailed the bracelet with my gen.

am i alone thinking this??

View attachment 224781

View attachment 224782

View attachment 224783
I love these! Keeping putting money away for one but they keep raising the price faster than I can save for this lower priority purchase! I think it’s more beautiful for having being used. Kind of like how I think the ideal shig kitaeji has a deeeeep patina.

Keep using the hell out of it, these are meant to be used and all of my “nice” timepieces get rotated for daily use and have scars to prove it (the steel ones at least). When you send them in for service it includes a full “polish” which essentially means they send you back a watch that looks brand new. Many people ask them not to do this as they prefer the “scars” that build up over time, much like us and our patinas. I love my speedy, don’t baby it at all, and will never sell it despite the increase in market value these days.

do you think i can "restore" it??

iirc i think p600 paper gives the exact brushed finish. and i mean exact the same finish. id did it on the clasp once.
Bracelet I would probably get restored by whoever you eventually use to service the watch. Do not polish the watch. Do not let Omega polish the watch. (Don't use Omega for a service if you can avoid it anyway -- they tend to not convey instructions like "NO POLISH!") as the watch moves from you boutique to the service center and through the service center's chain of people.

Bracelet I would probably get restored by whoever you eventually use to service the watch. Do not polish the watch. Do not let Omega polish the watch. (Don't use Omega for a service if you can avoid it anyway -- they tend to not convey instructions like "NO POLISH!") as the watch moves from you boutique to the service center and through the service center's chain of people.
I actually know the guy who runs the only certified service center for omega here. he used to have a store 20 years ago.
i remember him telling me that he wasn't certified on some brietling movement. that he happens to have as his daily driver...
so he wasn't allowed to work on his own watch :)

if there is any bracelet restoration i'll probably do it myself. after my razor restoration adventures i'd say i'm very well equipped for all kinds of finishes. and then i get to choose the final result.

I hear you. The Tintin was a hair under $3k when I bought it. I could sell it for a big gain, but's it's my daily wearer.
I regret not trying harder to land a Tintin 6 years ago. Found a dealer in Japan with one NOS for $3500 but the company was reluctant to ship overseas. It was also partly coz the 42mm looks a little big on my wrist and that has always held me back getting a big boi Speedy. I did have a Speedy Reduced but eventually sold it for 3x what I paid just because I lost interest in the watch not in small part due to the Valjoux movement.

Swiss watches across the board have increased in price significantly. But I still think best bang for buck lies with JLC and Tudor have some very tempting sub $5K offerings eg Pelagos 39. Omega are just having a laugh.

Last edited:

FYI, some 'trusted resellers' have these BNIB for about $6,800 USD.

I don't get it. Why would you not wear an Apple Watch? It does everything better and then some. It keeps better time, does not require cleaning and it has so many more features.

I don't get it. Why would you not wear an Apple Watch? It does everything better and then some. It keeps better time, does not require cleaning and it has so many more features.
Yeah right. The battery lasts a day, and what if I am not so important that I need access to my emails and messages 24/7?

But I am too oldschool for this sh*t, don’t have fb, wa, or ig… And you know what? I have a (great) life! :angel:

EDIT: even without ig I have way too many knives. I don’t even want to imagine what it would mean if I had ig… 😁

Last edited:
The battery is no problem as I take my watch off every night even before my Apple Watch. It works the same for me now. I am old so I get you. But I use the watch timer for cooking almost every day. It tracks my exercise daily which I need to keep up with as I am old as dirt. I don't want to go downhill any faster than I am already. The time is so much more accurate than my old Rolex watches. The Apple watch keeps time at the cellar level way better than any watch. The last time I had a Rolex cleaned many years ago it was $250 which you had to do every few years. I sold my Rolex watches, one was solid gold, and I laughed all the way to the bank wearing my Apple watch.

I can also use my Apple Watch to make phone calls in a pinch if I don't want to carry my iPhone.

Last edited:
The battery is no problem as I take my watch off every night even before my Apple Watch. It works the same for me now. I am old so I get you. But I use the watch timer for cooking almost every day. It tracks my exercise daily which I need to keep up with as I am old as dirt. I don't want to go downhill any faster than I am already. The time is so much more accurate than my old Rolex watches. The Apple watch keeps time at the cellar level way better than any watch. The last time I had a Rolex cleaned many years ago it was $250. I sold my Rolex watches, one was solid gold, and I laughed all the way to the bank wearing my Apple watch.
I get you, too!

250$ for a cleaning? Lucky you that you didn’t have it serviced. For the price of a service you can probably buy an Apple watch… 😂

One of the reasons for me to wear a mechanical watch is to get away from digital technology. Something with springs and gears and no internet. It's a value of it's own.

Sort of like cooking with carbon steel gear. It might not be stainless knives and non-stick cookware that you can just put in the dishwasher, but the care you have to take has a value of it's own.

And I'm a computer scientist by training. But when I switch of my computer and put away my "smart" attention grabbing device called a phone... life gets better.

But that's just me. You do you.

A mechanical watch is functional art. Not unlike a hand-forged damascus knife. Sure you can buy something a lot less if you only need to tell the time (or cut an onion). I know my kitchen has approximately 60 more knives than I need, and all are more expensive than a Victorinox. A food service-grade knife easily gets the job done but you will not find one in my house. And you won't find a crApple watch, either :D

One of the reasons for me to wear a mechanical watch is to get away from digital technology. Something with springs and gears and no internet. It's a value of it's own.

Sort of like cooking with carbon steel gear. It might not be stainless knives and non-stick cookware that you can just put in the dishwasher, but the care you have to take has a value of it's own.

And I'm a computer scientist by training. But when I switch of my computer and put away my "smart" attention grabbing device called a phone... life gets better.

But that's just me. You do you.
That is the beauty of an Apple watch as you can put away and distant yourself from your iPhone and still have the important parts. It is a pain to use an Apple watch for computer stuff. I like the phone on it so if someone really needs you, they can get hold of me. There are days I don't carry my iPhone because I have my Apple watch and it is good enough.

A mechanical watch is functional art. Not unlike a hand-forged damascus knife. Sure you can buy something a lot less if you only need to tell the time (or cut an onion). I know my kitchen has approximately 60 more knives than I need, and all are more expensive than a Victorinox. A food service-grade knife easily gets the job done but you will not find one in my house. And you won't find a crApple watch, either :D
I guess if you think of your watch as art then yes, I can see it. Otherwise as a watch the Apple watch beats all watches hands down in terms of a watch. The technology is much superior.

I guess if you think of your watch as art then yes, I can see it. Otherwise as a watch the Apple watch beats all watches hands down in terms of a watch. The technology is much superior.

I wear a G-Shock Mud Master or Luminox at work. Have a cook that wears an Apple that I use as a timer.

"Andrew - tell Dick Tracy 15 min"

When not at work I like a variety of them. 3 - $600 seems to be my sweet spot.

If I wanted a digital watch an Apply would not even be a remote consideration. I don't need to take calls or read emails on a watch, and for the other stuff (fitness, etc.) there are many less expensive option. Ultimately it's about what features you need and want to pay for. Some people with apple watches don't use them for anything except checking the time (i.e., its a status symbol), and others who are constantly using the communication features so the watch is useful to them. The funny thing about $$ mechanical watches as status symbols is unless it's easily recognizable (i.e., a Rolex) 99.99% of the people will not even realize you are wearing an expensive watch. So they are really for your personal enjoyment vs serving as a 'look at me' item.

Back