What do you use your funayuki for ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolek

Reaction score
I just bought on BST a Carter Kurouchi Funayuki, 5.6sun for use it as a small gyuto. I know that the blade is only 39 mm high (wide) but sometimes my gyuko are too big on the cutting board. What do you use your funayuki for?

Cutting up smaller items, like onions, carrots, celery, garlic, apples, bananas,...
Making garnishes.
Some do shave with them... :D

I got one off BST also. Luv the thin edge profile. Have a large end grain board, often have prep or plate for dish out on the board. The small Carter works well for finishing work on empty section.

Peeling oranges, kiwis, cutting tomatoes, radishes, & various other prep to go in salads. Mine is 43mm tall, 144mm blade.

It is a great knife for small prep. It is so thin behind the edge would not cut anything much harder than carrots with it.

My 167mm Carter funayuki (47mm tall) gets most of the veggie work. I think it is a ingenious blade shape that one one hand has relatively flat profile (like a santoku), but a point that is tippy enough to make some precision cuts (or carving) when necessary (something santoku can not really do). It of course all depends on the particular funayuki you have as I have yet to see two Carters looking the same.

My 167mm Carter funayuki (47mm tall) gets most of the veggie work. I think it is a ingenious blade shape that one one hand has relatively flat profile (like a santoku), but a point that is tippy enough to make some precision cuts (or carving) when necessary (something santoku can not really do). It of course all depends on the particular funayuki you have as I have yet to see two Carters looking the same.

+1, couldn't agree more.

I have a 160 (45mm H) and 275 (48mm H) and love them. Not to tall and not too short. After having used for awhile now, all I would want is for the 160 to be flatter as board contact can be an issue depending on what you're cutting. I posted a pic in the "newest knife buy" thread awhile ago:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/7655-Show-your-newest-knife-buy?p=342513#post342513

Here are Murray's much better pictures:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Should be obvious which one is which :)

This Carter will be my first custom Japanese knife and my first thin behind the edge one, moreover with a reactive white 1 core. I’m here not to make beginners mistakes damaging the knife. So for soft vegetables no problems. Is there a chipping risk with carrots? Is there a rusting risk with oranges or onions?
BTW you can see the one I bought in BTS here.
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...rosaki-R2-240-Western-Shig-210-Carter-KU-Funy

I have yet to chip my Carter on any normal food. The only thing to avoid (with all knives that have hardness this high) is to apply any torque when the blade is in contact with cutting board. I did get micro-chipping at the beginning, but once I have set the edge bevel the way I wanted it to be and applied some micro-bevel on one side it did not happen again.

I found the cladding on the KU Carter to be much less reactive than some other knives (e.g. Kato). I have cut oranges and onions with it. No problem. The knife will over time gain gray-ish patina and that will be it. Of course - do not let it lay around after cutting acidic foods, but that is obvious I guess. At the beginning the young patina will not be as "strong" so cutting onions (with that young patina already on the blade) may dissolve a little of it and you will see light browning on the onions. However this behavior will stop rather soon.

You got yourself a really nice Carter - have fun with it :)

I have yet to chip my Carter on any normal food. The only thing to avoid (with all knives that have hardness this high) is to apply any torque when the blade is in contact with cutting board. I did get micro-chipping at the beginning, but once I have set the edge bevel the way I wanted it to be and applied some micro-bevel on one side it did not happen again.

I found the cladding on the KU Carter to be much less reactive than some other knives (e.g. Kato). I have cut oranges and onions with it. No problem. The knife will over time gain gray-ish patina and that will be it. Of course - do not let it lay around after cutting acidic foods, but that is obvious I guess. At the beginning the young patina will not be as "strong" so cutting onions (with that young patina already on the blade) may dissolve a little of it and you will see light browning on the onions. However this behavior will stop rather soon.

You got yourself a really nice Carter - have fun with it :)

I'm more woried about the white steel 1 cuting edge rusting/micro-rusting than the caldding. Thanks all for the advises.

Wash with warm water & dish soap dry completely after use. Matus post is informative. Since I cut acidic food with it, let the patina develop no problem with the edge it gets polished up anyway when you sharpen it.

You can cut carrots, would not cut hard squash with it though. Never want to torque these ultra thin edges. I put on a low micro 10-15%

Never tried one, but the profile impressed me as being useful in exactly the way you mention here. Just haven't been willing to cough up the cash for one yet. Maybe I should sell a few more knives, then I can justify the expense.

I use it as a smal gyuto. The calding of mine is very reactive so I stoped cuting onions with it.

I use it as a smal gyuto. The calding of mine is very reactive so I stoped cuting onions with it.

I remember that trio when it came up for sale. Damn fine blades at xlnt prices.
Don't shy away from acids. YOu are limiting the knife's usefulness. Just build up to being able to do a crate of pineapple, you can do it! A session of two onions, then four, etc. Just wipe the blade before it goes crazy.

Carter funayuki got off BST with out a handle. African Blackwood, Spalted Hawaiian Signature.

k3kBYN221zfr33_Gdy-YySr0xdAVnP_73fKE_iNhdj8=w858-h643-no

Back