What is it ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Mexican chocolate grinding mill i think native call it molino, my grandfather had one imported back 1940's to Ex-Yugoslavia. he had that contraption running on steam.

Ok we will call these

# 4 what is it and for what ?
gnvG.jpg
[/IMG]

Boki has it .
that stone was dressed in Mexico and now maintain by the owner.
pekGM.jpg
[/IMG]

Wow Boki has some chops. Nice one! I was thinking it was used for seeds.

WHOA... I was gonna say coffee grinder for the gauchos steering the bulls.

PZ

Now for a little something on mill stones and cacao and mill dressers.

fresh cocao
WS0Ld.jpg
[/IMG]

then it is dried and toasted and ground from big stones to little hand held ones.
cVFw9.jpg
[/IMG]

qU4Pk.jpg
[/IMG]

or by hand then it is mixed with sugar vanilla some evaporated milk or what ever your blend is .
05vm.jpg
[/IMG]

the mill stone and the almost lost art of the mill dresser.
for grain or flour.
WSHLn.jpg
[/IMG]

the mill dresser and tools
uhLol.gif
[/IMG]
EhKSP.gif
[/IMG]

In England there was the itinerant millstone dresser. In America, on the other hand, the poor miller most often had to dress his own millstones. Properly maintained and dressed millstones could mean the difference between a mill making a profit or losing money. The well-dressed millstones will give the miller better control over the quality and quantity of the flour ground. The art and skill of millstone dressing varied from mill to mill. One dresser may think cracking lines are useful, while another thinks they are totally useless. Traditionally, millwrights did not dress the millstones. Today the independent itinerant millstone dresser is almost unknown. The skill will not die out as long as mills still use millstones. Today as yesterday, not all millers know how to dress millstones. The late Charlie Howell said that he had dressed millstones in 33 states and 7 countries. Some of his tools had been passed down through his family. Charlie kept these tools alive by inserting modern carbide tips in the picks. Mill picks when removed from the mill are often not recognized for what they are. If they are recognized, it may not be fully understood how they were used. They are simple tools used on hard stones. The job of the millstone dresser is hard work.

now you can go watch cartoons.

Some of you know Bob's Red Mill products he dresses his own stones.
HQSwP.jpg
[/IMG]

Yep, I use Bob's Red Mill quinoa. My wife and I followed this thread all day. Great fun.

Well ask your lovely wife about these two.

Up again on What is it.

naI9A.jpg
[/IMG]

# 6
U0vkY.jpg
[/IMG]

My wife said it's a metal rolling pin and a nut cracker to keep me in line! :D:eek2:

I know 5(tricky) and 6. I will leave the enjoyment of guessing for others.

I will guess a spaghetti roller, and a shellfish opener.

#5 pie dough roller, you unscrew the end and put ice cubes in it to keep the dough cold when you work it.

I am being a little deceptive here let me open it.
gpon5.jpg
[/IMG]

Fruit carving tool- for garnishing. My wife guesses oyster knife.

# 6 is what is used to seal bags of grain, cotton. You know burlap its used to poke the hole in the bag so you can tie the end up.

OK deckhand came the closes.
but what kind.

Victorian silver apple corer and knife made in Birmingham by Joesph Willmore in 1820
he was know for small kitchen items .

this is silver and ivory around $400
so if you see one pick it up as they are rare.
J7oa0.jpg
[/IMG]

# 6 is still up
hint: key word ; what Flo the waitress says to when you order.

here is another one . like #6.
UWdfv.jpg
[/IMG]

Ah... thanks! We had a great time.

#6- tool used in making grits?

:ggodjob:Your wife has done it SUGAR NIPS .

The whiter the sugar, the more elegant, desirable and expensive it was. In medieval times, sugar was brought to Europe from the near East. For a long time it was an expensive luxury sold in tiny quantities alongside spices. It was used for medicinal purposes or special concoctions cooked for the nobility. By 1600 when the picture of sugar-making above was published, sugar was becoming a little more available. The cone-shaped moulds for the loaves had holes in the bottom so the dark treacly syrup from a mess of boiled sugar-cane could drain out. This didn't leave perfectly white sugar in the mould, and "double-refining" was used to produce a better grade of refined white sugar. Extra ingredients were used to encourage whitening and purification - from clay to bullocks' blood.

xzWaU.jpg
[/IMG]

Swedish sugar loaf nippers and collector
N2lL8.jpg
[/IMG]

Mexico unrefined sugar piloncillo
y10cv.jpg
[/IMG]

and in some parts of the world still sell sugar loafs
LoTs.jpg
[/IMG]

Back