What is the most important blade characteristic?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All in all I would say that who makes the knife is the #1 factor in a great knife. I'd bet that Bill could make a better knife then most using scrap found in a junk yard.

I would have to say that sharpenablity (ease of sharpening) would have to be close to if not number one for me. I am a pro cook and I don't always have hours to sit around and thin out a knife or flatten a blade road. So if a knife can just be touched up often and easily regain its sharpness, it jumps up to the top of my list for working knives.

I want my knives to be as close to working geometry and edge grind as possible. That has always ruled out Aritsugu wa gyuto for me. I don't want to spend all that time just to get a knife "working."

1. Ease of sharpening/edge retention
2. Blade profile(including geometry and thickness)
3. Steel hardness
-this one is important to me when I am picking a knife for a specific task. For example, when I work the line I usually go with my Nenox because I know it isn't as hard as a Heiji or honyaki gyuto and it can take a little more beating than the harder steels. But for protein, prep, veg work, etc.... I usually go better edge retention a la harder steel.
4. Handle
-lets be honest, this is important to everyone at some point.
5. Fit and Finish
-this could probably go with handle but this is mainly regarding spine and choil roundedness. Nothing is nicer than using a knife that just feels smooth. (Shigefusa, etc...)

All in all I would say that who makes the knife is the #1 factor in a great knife. I'd bet that Bill could make a better knife then most using scrap found in a junk yard.

Niloc's right. Buy the maker, not the knife.

Well, I surmised the question was for production-line knives, like Tojiros, DT ITK, and Wusthof.

The most important characteristic of a custom knife is communication--does the maker really understand your vision, and where and how much he is allowed to be creative.

Back