Sous Vide What is your favorite sous vide dish?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KOCH and or berkel is a good choice for a vacuum sealer. You can possibly find something cheaper than 3k but depends your use.

Is this for a commercial use or serious cook/ home ?

3k? Mine costed 50 bucks.
Needs perforated bags which are pricier, but to make up for the differene in price of machines, i would have to vacuum maybe 10 000 bags ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
“Quick” Onion / Habanero pickle

Ingredients

· One large red onion

· 2 habaneros seeded and finely chopped

· Juice of one grapefruit

· Juice of one lime

· 1 tablespoon cider vinegar

· 1 teaspoon coriander seed + 15 white peppercorns (crushed)

· Salt to taste (half teaspoon is about right)

Directions

· Combine all ingredients except the onions. Stir well

· Bring a pot of water to a boil

· Slice onion into even 3cm slices

· Drop onions into the boiling water and immediately empty into a strainer

· Run cold water over the onions, add the liquid ingredients, store in the fridge

· The pickle can start being consumed the next day

Salmon

Ingredients

· FRESH salmon (this is a simple recipe and very reliant on the quality of your fish)

· 2 tablespoons chili oil

· 1 tablespoon grape seed oil

Directions

· Brine the salmon for 30 minutes

· Wash well

· Place the salmon in a ziplock bag with the chili oil. Force out all the air and seal. Distribute the oil so it covers all the salmon

· Place the salmon into 113 degree water bath for 12 minutes

· Get a cast iron frying pan screaming hot. Coat with the grape seed oil (grape seed oil has a high smoke point. Other neutral tasting high smoke point oils will work equally well). What’s important here is that you want

o A lot of thermal mass (cast iron)

o At a high temperature

o With a some oil to conduct the heat

o And nothing bursting into flame

· As soon as the fish is done

o Remove the fish from the ziplock bag

o Place the fish skin side down in your frying pan

o Crisp the skin to taste

· Remove the fish from the pan

o Slice

o Top with some pickle (cause you need acid)

o Serve

Didn't want to start a new thread: Any first hand experiences with flat iron steak? Or should I just pop it on the grill?

Stefan

I have sous vide flatiron on my menu. I take a whole flatiron with just exterior silver skin removed and cook it at 132 for 4-5 hours. It keeps a ribbon of fat through the middle of the cut that marinates it as it cooks. The flavor and texture are really good. The only catch is the fat in the middle doesn't totally break down. It is like the fat cap on a ribeye but it is in the middle. No one seems to mind if you slice it for them. Especially if you can sell a 10oz steak for $18.

This tells all there is to know:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Great, thanks! As a beginner, I am still trying to figure out the times I need for different cuts. I will have to cut mine in half but that shouldn't make too much of a difference, I expect.

Stefan

[ agree with ThEory I use the cryovac every day and it has many more uses than just circulated waterbath cooking its great for infusing flavor or hydrating something immediately. As for my favorite dish sous vide I enjoy poached lobster or monkfish just because too often those are over cooked at restaurants

There's an app called sous vide dash that calculates times and temps. It's about $5 for iPad.

Resurrecting an old thread. Ok, I just bought 4 pounds of chuck short ribs at Costco. I was thinking about making some of it just plain, only pepper, salt, thyme and olive oil; i also have some store bought braising liquids, one teriyaki style, the other some Indian flavor profile, and I wanted to use some of that on part of the meat. Not usually a fan of store bought stuff like that, but I have it and want to use it up.

I keep reading about different temp and time combinations - any personal experiences? 48h at ??? temperature? Or longer? These are boneless pieces, probably 1/2# each. Aiming for tender but not mushy. Happy about all comments,

Stefan

Is there any reason that you wouldn't want to braise the short ribs in the oven? I feel like the best part of short ribs is the texture from nearly charred outside to a super tender inside. I think cooking it sous vide would just be a waste

Is there any reason that you wouldn't want to braise the short ribs in the oven? I feel like the best part of short ribs is the texture from nearly charred outside to a super tender inside. I think cooking it sous vide would just be a waste

You can still achieve those results sous vide.

I just kept reading raving reviews about 72h short ribs all over the place and thought it's about time I try it out. Well, I just remembered that I am a scientist, so I will probably just prepare the 6 pieces in different ways and see what comes out best. :) Btw, they are boneless chuck short ribs, 6 pieces = 4.5 pounds. I am currently by myself, so it looks like I will eat a lot of beef in a few days...

Stefan

If it's vacuumed, pasteurized and refrigerated the shelf life is quite long.

Resurrecting an old thread. Ok, I just bought 4 pounds of chuck short ribs at Costco. I was thinking about making some of it just plain, only pepper, salt, thyme and olive oil; i also have some store bought braising liquids, one teriyaki style, the other some Indian flavor profile, and I wanted to use some of that on part of the meat. Not usually a fan of store bought stuff like that, but I have it and want to use it up.

I keep reading about different temp and time combinations - any personal experiences? 48h at ??? temperature? Or longer? These are boneless pieces, probably 1/2# each. Aiming for tender but not mushy. Happy about all comments,

Stefan
I've done so many combinations using Costco boneless short ribs, as well as bone-in short ribs. I've tested cooking over a period of 24hr, 48hr, 60hr, and 72hr at 136-141 degrees F. Each one of the tests was followed up with a crust (maillard) using a blow torch. I like the taste and texture of the boneless short ribs when cooked for 48hrs @ 136 degrees F. The boneless short ribs turned out tender at a medium rare that is juicy but retains the meaty texture without getting soggy or mushy.

I kinda got a bit OCD by running many sous vide tests using the Polyscience Chef Series, and ended up eating a lot short ribs. I spent a good portion of the winter months experimenting with Modernist Cuisine. Let me know how your ribs turn out.

Thanks, looks like I may have read some of your threads on other forums, not knowing it was you then ;) I will post results, this should be interesting :)

Stefan

Theory is correct, again. All proteins will benefit from so degree of sous vide. But just because you can doesn't me it will make the end result better. You have to be very carful with white fish. But it really shines in tough cuts of meat. I've done:

Ballottine Chicken
Fresh sausages
Bacon wrapped chicken
oily and white fish
Pig Belly and Jowls
Whole Boston Butts for BBQ
Every beef cut imaginable
Goat, lamb and frogs legs

All veggies
Custard, mayonnaise, ketchup

made pickles

Made strawberry jam

I'm just a home chef, but very passionate and have just about cooked my way through Modernist Cuisine at Home. My set up is a Vacmaster VP-112 and Polyscience supreme and a PID/Crock pot for long slow cooking.

Remember that you don't have to completely cook your products sous vide. You can use the technique to get your product safely to a higher temp that 38 degrees. This way you loose less moisture because your core temperature is might higher when you start cooking.

Example:
Take fresh sausages (in vac bag) out of the refrigerator, put into a 140 degree water bath for an hour. They will be cooked through without any shrinkage. Chill completely. You can then, brown in a pan, bake in the oven or put back in the refrigerator for another day. The nice things is that because they're already cooked, when you give them the mallard, it won't take much heat to brown them and bring them up to 130 or so.

Well, here we are. 46h at 136F. Taste was great, but it was just a touch dryer than I expected - and it seems to have lost quite a bit of juice also. The boneless pieces are thinner and smaller than the bone-in ones, so next time I would go at 133F and maybe check at 24 and 36h. Gotta start somewhere. Ate a healthy manly portion with caramelized onions and cheese ravioli (I had run out of potatoes, I may lose my German citizenship over this...).

Question about storage: Do I take them out of the bag and repack or do I leave them in the juice that has come out during cooking?

Stefan

P.S. I refuse all responsibility for my housemate's fugly plates...

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Stephan, I've found that its critical to completely chill long-cooked meats. Also, I use 129 degrees for beef products. 140 for pork and chicken. 72hrs for short-ribs. Tender meats (filet, rib eye, strip) try 129 for 12hrs. Depends on how thick the ingredient is. Doubling the thickness quadruples the cooking time. Ex. 1” thick steak SV for 12hrs and a 2” thick steak SV 48hrs.

The think I like most about SV is that you can break up the cooking process. So I usually SV one day, then chill the product. Then when I want to cook them I take it out cold. I’ll take the product out of the bag, paper towel off any juices, heavy seasoning and hit them 4 minutes a side in a ripping cast iron pan, then put it in the oven at 350 until internal temp is 122ish. Remove and let rest for at least ten minutes covered. I like my finished temp to be 129. Also, don’t season beef unless you’re looking for a more cured texture to the mean. Season before searing.

He're a chuck roast I did

Thanks, that's very helpful. I had salted and peppered the short ribs before I packed them, that may have led to them bleeding out more and being drier - definitely drier than the roast in your picture looks, maybe that is what you describe as 'cured texture'. The pieces in my picture were directly out of the bag, dried and quick-seared; the other pieces/bags were cooled down in an ice bath. I will try those over the next days - should have packed smaller portions... So much to learn, but a lot of fun to play with this :)

Stefan

Back