What Is Your Go-To Coarse Stone For Heavy Lifting?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the imanishi 220 and if I had to go back using whetstones, instead of diamond stones, I would use this Imanishi 220 and would buy a bunch of Debado 180 for San mai.
So I got the imanishi - what do you find is the best for soaking? I've left it to soak for 30 minutes+ but I still feel like it's thirsty when I use it. I haven't had time to experiment (admittedly) so hoping to skip it and rely on the professional for advice.

So I got the imanishi - what do you find is the best for soaking? I've left it to soak for 30 minutes+ but I still feel like it's thirsty when I use it. I haven't had time to experiment (admittedly) so hoping to skip it and rely on the professional for advice.
I honestly don't bother too much about soaking... Sometimes the stone is permasoak for ages, sometimes there is no more water so it is dried for ages, I just put it in a bit of water for a minute and just go working.
Soaking stones with work the "faster" and more "effiently" when completly wet but they will also behave softer and wear faster too.
If you want the same stone to behave harder and being more precise : don't soak and just add the water you need to work.

PrayI honestly don't bother too much about soaking...don't soak and just add the water you need to work

🙏🙏 Thank you sir. I would not have thought to not soak it… definitely thinking inside the box. When I was soaking it you are exactly right. I thought it was grainy and soft at the same time. Very interested to see how it will perform dry with a little water!!

What is the stone you reach for the most when you need to do some heavy thinning?
Yeah scratches can be a *****. I was an early adopter of Ben's Manticore but that stone can leave some serious scratches. I have an 80 grit diamond plate that does the same. They both get rid of metal but the scratches can really be a problem afterward. I don't polish but still...
To be clear, I'm a big fan of Crystolon's and India's. They can even do some good work on stainless but they can be a challenge when thinning in that the oil can get slippery and the blade needs more cleaning for progress inspections.
I have a Manticore "abrasive file" for machetes but it's too coarse for good cutlery in my opinion. I don't want to work with oil. The Zandstra FOSS stone HeavyHanded recommended does the job and doesn't wear too fast.

I have a Manticore "abrasive file" for machetes but it's too coarse for good cutlery in my opinion. I don't want to work with oil. The Zandstra FOSS stone HeavyHanded recommended does the job and doesn't wear too fast.

Back when I was on BF, HeavyHanded helped me a lot and I remember him recommending that stone. I think it was an ice skate stone.

Back when I was on BF, HeavyHanded helped me a lot and I remember him recommending that stone. I think it was an ice skate stone.
Indeed it is. The dual grit is really handy, and the 10" size is nice to work on. Both layers are a bit thin so I don't know how long it would last under intensive use, but for me it's just right.

I honestly don't bother too much about soaking... Sometimes the stone is permasoak for ages, sometimes there is no more water so it is dried for ages, I just put it in a bit of water for a minute and just go working.
Soaking stones with work the "faster" and more "effiently" when completly wet but they will also behave softer and wear faster too.
If you want the same stone to behave harder and being more precise : don't soak and just add the water you need to work.
I did this earlier this week. Yep, can confirm this is the way and I never would have thought don't soak it because the instructions and most common practice is to soak a soaking stone.... But, I soaking it made it so soft, muddy, and gritty but the thirst is never quenched. Not soaking it just makes it perform like a hard, but fast cutting stone.

Anyways, thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 1.36.45 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 1.36.45 PM.png
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 0
I did this earlier this week. Yep, can confirm this is the way and I never would have thought don't soak it because the instructions and most common practice is to soak a soaking stone.... But, I soaking it made it so soft, muddy, and gritty but the thirst is never quenched. Not soaking it just makes it perform like a hard, but fast cutting stone.

Anyways, thank you!
Glad it helped ! Some soft stone will indeed be better dry because they get just too soft when totally soaked with water and you'll need to wait for it to dry (or take a second one the time the first dry). That behavior was shown to me by Damian Kordic, sword polisher in Croatia

Last edited:
are there any coarse ones that don't feel like complete arse? I wish chosera made a 100 and a 200
Can you be more specific? What is it that you object to? I've tried a few, and haven't really had objections to the feel of any of them, except Crystolon and Manticore. It's been more about tradeoffs between speed and deep scratches, plus dishing.

Latest one I'm trying is a Nanohone 200 (not the diamond one), and I'm liking it so far. If you do dislike the feel of coarse stones, the Nanohone diamond resin-bonded stones are certainly very different from anything else. I don't feel the coarseness at all.

The ideal coarse stone would be fast, dish resistant, glazing resistant, and affordable. Sadly on a good day you get to pick two. The best coarse stones you might get two. Never met a coarse stone that gave all four.
so diamond stone tend to have glazing problems?

The ideal coarse stone would be fast, dish resistant, glazing resistant, and affordable. Sadly on a good day you get to pick two. The best coarse stones you might get two. Never met a coarse stone that gave all four.
A fifth criterion might be "does not leave really deep scratches for its grit, occasional or otherwise." That lets out diamond plates, and, it appears, some diamond resin-bonded stones, though I don't have that really sorted out yet.

It's kind of annoying to get all of the scratches out, on the next-finer stone, except you didn't get all of the scratches out, there are still like 10 of them that still look really deep.

A fifth criterion might be "does not leave really deep scratches for its grit, occasional or otherwise." That lets out diamond plates, and, it appears, some diamond resin-bonded stones, though I don't have that really sorted out yet.

It's kind of annoying to get all of the scratches out, on the next-finer stone, except you didn't get all of the scratches out, there are still like 10 of them that still look really deep.
That too. For me, speed isn’t just material abrasion on that stone relative to its peers but how easily its scratches are erased on the next stone. No sense saving 10 minutes at 200 grit to spend an extra hour at 400 grit.

Rather than starting a new thread, I’ll put my related question here:

Has anyone used a stone like this for thinning? I’ll probably try it anyway, I just thought I’d ask the pros.

View attachment 310753
I think so. If its ultra soft, then i believe i had one just like it.

I actually really like it, but it didnt last long. But it cuts pretty fast

My choice has become the NSK Oboro line.

More diamonds making it faster and a more wear resistant surface helping the stone last longer and remain flatter for much longer.

The accuracy I’ve experienced is unparalleled helping save an incredible amount of time and hair pulling.

I prefer very crisp geometry and the Oboro line made this so much easier.

Most of all it’s a complete and total line of stones for polishing and the results are consistent and predictable.

IMG_3429.jpeg
IMG_3505.jpeg
IMG_3508.jpeg
IMG_3509.jpeg
IMG_3507.jpeg

After testing the offers of the most readily accessible manufacturers in the EU, I recently tried the coarse stones from JNS, They're not too soft, cut fast and have a great feedback if that's important to you. So although not cheap, they seem to have a good quality/price ratio considering the size of the stone compared to Naniwa/Shapton. For more details, I provide some clarification and pics in this post: https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/new-jns-synthetics-coarse-220-400-800.69827/post-1079426
Hope it helps!

My choice has become the NSK Oboro line.

More diamonds making it faster and a more wear resistant surface helping the stone last longer and remain flatter for much longer.

The accuracy I’ve experienced is unparalleled helping save an incredible amount of time and hair pulling.

I prefer very crisp geometry and the Oboro line made this so much easier.

Most of all it’s a complete and total line of stones for polishing and the results are consistent and predictable.

View attachment 310780View attachment 310781View attachment 310782View attachment 310783View attachment 310784

Heiji, yeah?

That, indeed is a crisp shinogi!

Back