What kind of Belt Grinders do you guys have?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 1"x42" Viel. I buy all my belts from Lee Valley. They're reputable and carry 3M and Klingspor in 1x42 size

I just bought the 1x30 from harbor freight. Got a Drill press too. Handle time soon?

I use a 1"x42" Viel. I buy all my belts from Lee Valley. They're reputable and carry 3M and Klingspor in 1x42 size

Right on, Lee Valley was the main site I was looking at.

that's good then. There's also tons of options on supergrit and trugrit but they more carry 2x72 belts for knife makers. Their selection of smaller belts isn't very good and there's a lot of holes in the lineups. Definitely check them out. EconAbrasives too

I have a 1x42 Viel that works well for most small sharpening jobs. But here’s three improvements I found necessary:
1. Zapstrap the power cord to the frame
2. Replace the stock microscopic rubber shoes with something more substantial
3. Add a carrying handle. I used a piece of wooden dowel and baling wire.

46F00669-EAB4-41CC-A2FC-23976F62E59C.jpeg
46F00669-EAB4-41CC-A2FC-23976F62E59C.jpeg

I have a 1x42 Viel that works well for most small sharpening jobs. But here’s three improvements I found necessary:
1. Zapstrap the power cord to the frame
2. Replace the stock microscopic rubber shoes with something more substantial
3. Add a carrying handle. I used a piece of wooden dowel and baling wire.

You were going real deep into the archive on this 7yo thread lol! Also that grit- micron chart is great, i always have a brain fart going from my Norton belts to a trizact.

Anyway I use a pretty standard KMG 2x72 that I was lucky enough to pick up second hand but basically new.

Built a 2x72 from metal and parts bought on ebay and it works but is not perfect by any means. Initially regretted not just forking out more cash to buy one ready to go but having read @Matus nightmare trying to source one in Europe have felt b it better about my bodge machine.

I am looking around at 2 x 72s. I think I want an ameribrade, maybe OBM, or a diy build like the kit from houseworks

2x72 KMG
4x36
1x30 disassembled for mods
12 inch disk, modified horizontal (recently sold this)

I shop around for abrasives. Recommend Tru Grit and Pop's.

I have a "finslipat exclusive grinder" that made my life alot better. Direct drive 3 hp, 400v kbac (i think it's called) vfd. Runs about 30m/s on 60hz, ~60 kg iron frame and is pretty much completely vibration free. Mostly run 30 cm wheel and glass platen.

Pheer 2x72 with a 2hp Baldor motor and VFD, 6" drive wheel to really get it moving, can go to 5800rpm!
Various attachments for it.
4x36 / 6" combo sander
12" disc sander
1x30 Rikon

Everyone is making me jealous with their disc sanders...

Don't be to jealous, Mine is a simple single speed 12" disc with no reverse. Mainly just used for flattening handle materials.
I would really like to add a nice 9" reversible disc sander with VFD. Been wanting to grab a 1deg. beveled 9" disc and build one.

After really exceptionally bad and expensive experience with a private maker (a sad story, there are so many skilled guys out there) I decided to bite the bullet ... asked my wife for the cash ... and ordered a grinder from Claryx. It is robust and very flexible at the same time. I am very happy with it.

I built my own version of a 2x72 which I’ve modified a few times now. I’m pretty happy with it now. I also built a 12” disk sander but also have an old Delta 12” disk sander. I have three 6x48” belt sanders I use in the vertical position each with a different grit sandpaper and all lined up in a row. These work great for grinding simple steels and aluminum. They are great for squaring up metal parts and then smoothing them up. I also use them for making my knife handles. My next build will be a horizontal grinder that will except 2x42 and 2x72 inch belts. Honestly, I don’t think you can have too many sanders. It saves a ton of time not having to constantly switch belts.

In regards to belts I really like Red Label ceramic belts. I use these on my 2x72 and on my 6x48 sanders. They cost less than the Norton Blaze and last just as long, for me anyway.

I have a grizzly 1x42 newly /disc combo grinder.

Had an Esteem 2x72 with a vertical to horizontal flip plate and vfd. Very nice quality and price point.

Actually, it will have water cooled platens. I plan on doing a 15 inch long platen, as i find myself always wanting a longer platen on my KMG. Also working on a 36" diameter platen.
One of the modifications I did one my diy 2x72 is lengthen the platen to 12”. I originally built it at 8” but that always seemed not quite long enough. The other change I made was making it easy to change the angle of the platen. Now I can flip it to about 60 degrees while still using the platen or if I keep going to 90 degrees I have a slack belt.

If I were in the market for a grinder I would make sure it had a lot of options available for it. The more I use my grinder the more I wish it could do.

One of the modifications I did one my diy 2x72 is lengthen the platen to 12”. I originally built it at 8” but that always seemed not quite long enough. The other change I made was making it easy to change the angle of the platen. Now I can flip it to about 60 degrees while still using the platen or if I keep going to 90 degrees I have a slack belt.

If I were in the market for a grinder I would make sure it had a lot of options available for it. The more I use my grinder the more I wish it could do.
I am seriously considering building the revolution kit from housemade.us. One of the things that may push me to build vs buy is the longer platen.

I am seriously considering building the revolution kit from housemade.us. One of the things that may push me to build vs buy is the longer platen.
I’ve been following that build and it seems like a decent machine. It’s certainly built well and the price is good for the precut parts you get. The platen works similarly to mine in that it drops back at an angle. Mine uses a knob to loosen the platen for instant adjustment. I’ve never liked having to use wrenches or drivers to adjust things.

I considered making my sander so it can be used in the horizontal position as well. I ultimately decided I would build a purpose built horizontal grinder instead. One that can take multiple sized belts. The reason for this is being able to jump from one position to the next quickly is important to me. It goes back to my original post regarding multiple sanders lined up with different grit paper on each one. It is nice though to have one machine that does multiple tasks. And it certainly takes up less room. I actually recommended the house sander to my cousin a few weeks ago.

After really exceptionally bad and expensive experience with a private maker (a sad story, there are so many skilled guys out there) I decided to bite the bullet ... asked my wife for the cash ... and ordered a grinder from Claryx. It is robust and very flexible at the same time. I am very happy with it.
does a Claryx work with 2"x72" belts? or you need different EU sized belts?

does a Claryx work with 2"x72" belts? or you need different EU sized belts?

It works with large range of belt lenghts. I have used belts as short as 1500mm. 72” is around 1830 mm, not far from 2000 mm (the standard EU length). One would have to check with them whether the 500mm (20”) contact wheel is compatible with 72” belts, or whether one would have to go with smaller wheel (eg. 420mm) or 2000mm belt.

You can even order it with 1.5x1.5” sized tool arms (Instead of 30x30 mm) so that you can than use 3rd party attachments made locally in US.

It works with large range of belt lenghts. I have used belts as short as 1500mm. 72” is around 1830 mm, not far from 2000 mm (the standard EU length). One would have to check with them whether the 500mm (20”) contact wheel is compatible with 72” belts, or whether one would have to go with smaller wheel (eg. 420mm) or 2000mm belt.

You can even order it with 1.5x1.5” sized tool arms (Instead of 30x30 mm) so that you can than use 3rd party attachments made locally in US.
I have a buddy in the US with one he loves it. He has left the maker world and I could probably get someone a deal in the US.

This is not a joke .. I actually used this to make some handles!
Bult 1x30 from some rollerblading wheels a 2x4 and a dremel (that I also use to drill the tang hole)
View attachment 84068
That’s pretty awesome. I used a cheap 4 x 36 for a while. Recently I upgraded to a rigid oscillating edge sander, they are about $250 at the orange store. Having a solid table 90 degrees to the belt makes for an awesome tool. My 2x72 build will be only for blades.

Back