What kind of Belt Grinders do you guys have?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you need to clock the motor down with a freq converter if you wanna do slow speeds.

I just got my AmeriBrade FastBack set up with a 2HP motor and VFD. So much nicer than my frankengrinder I posted before!!

690ADFC4-A999-48E6-8B9B-DB8EAD465047.jpeg

View attachment 86495
Built this. 3 speed pulley. 1hp motor.
Also have
1x42 kalamazoo
1x42 Delta with 8" disc
2x 12" Rikon discs

Will be upgrading to a ots vfd grinder soon...

So how do you even go about building a grinder? Where do you find parts that fit together so well, or did you fabricate some of the metal pieces, or what? I look at that and I have like no idea where to start. Impressed.

So how do you even go about building a grinder? Where do you find parts that fit together so well, or did you fabricate some of the metal pieces, or what? I look at that and I have like no idea where to start. Impressed.
I bought a bunch of the stuff from Origin Blade Maker (OBM). The frame I had welded up from a guy, who also had the motor. I've since added a much beefier spring.

Not hard really. Just need to make sure everything is square.

I do hate the pulley system though, and will eventually upgrade.

wow what are you gonna do with it??
It's mostly a curiosity project. The idea is that the surface is effectively flat, without actually being flat. Several grinder makers offer large wheels including Claryx mentioned earlier in thread with their 500mm wheel. It will often be used in place of a flat platen. Time will tell whether it's as useful as I hope it to be.

I built this 2x72 about a year ago and have modified it a couple of times since. I rebuilt the platen and made it 12” long and it will now tilt to 90 degrees. I also just picked up a 10” contact wheel for it which I really like using so far.
FF56BA74-EE08-4712-B9F7-83311FB758F9.jpeg
11DB654A-2AE2-4865-B0C5-65BB96675F78.jpeg
99DF1FD7-2776-4A12-A8CA-92BA7FA18226.jpeg

Last edited:
I've gotten my eyeballs oogling a Burr King 960-272. It'll be two years before I can afford it. If I can save consistently & cut back on my expensive beer habit, I might be able to have it.

What do you guys have (for use with knives particularly) ??

Andy
I have this burr king. I'd go after one of the more specialized knife maker grinders

Haha, thanks Ian. I really enjoyed the build. The reason I built it the way I did is that I don’t weld “yet”. I think building your belt grinder is a great option if you’re up for the task. You can buy a set of wheels on eBay for a very reasonable price, especially if you buy the fiberglass enforced plastic ones. I just picked up a set of them for a horizontal 2x72 that I’ll be building shortly. I’m also using a treadmill motor with a variable speed controller which didn’t cost anything.

Haha, thanks Ian. I really enjoyed the build. The reason I built it the way I did is that I don’t weld “yet”. I think building your belt grinder is a great option if you’re up for the task. You can buy a set of wheels on eBay for a very reasonable price, especially if you buy the fiberglass enforced plastic ones. I just picked up a set of them for a horizontal 2x72 that I’ll be building shortly. I’m also using a treadmill motor with a variable speed controller which didn’t cost anything.

Pretty sure I'm not up to the task yet. It might be smart for me to spend a while actually using belt sanders before trying to build them, too. I'm kind of new to all of this. I still have no idea where to start when I look at something like that. It's inspiring though.

Pretty sure I'm not up to the task yet. It might be smart for me to spend a while actually using belt sanders before trying to build them, too. I'm kind of new to all of this. I still have no idea where to start when I look at something like that. It's inspiring though.
There's a bunch of DIY builds on bladeforums.

I was in the process of making a homemade sander for two years. Then early last year decided it’s never going to happen and I need to buy one if I want to stop using the 1x30 (which I hated using so I rarely made knives). So I bought an Ameribrade and can make significantly more knives significantly faster.

some pretty ingenious designs here.

I have two viel 1x42s, one with a fixed 1725rpm motor and another with a variable speed motor from 400-3800rpm and then dual 2x48 grinders.

Latest posts

Back