What kitchen mortar?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matus, the M&P is used for much more that pesto. If you buy whole spices, nothing better to grind them with than the M&P. If you think the eight is too large get the smaller one. I have a smallish kitchen (14'X12") and the only thing on my counters are the coffee pot/grinder, microwave oven and the M&P. The beauty of the M&P is that thye clean up super quick, definitely an advantage over a motorized grinder/processor/blender. Some uses:

1.) garlic paste (smooth and creamy), grinding confit lemons, anchovie paste...
2.) Whole Spices (be sure to toast in dry pan, the cool before grinding)
3.) Grinding coffee beans
4.) using the pestle to bruise rosemary or woody herms
5.) smashing salted shrimp, lemon grass, galangal...

They're like a good thermometer, once you get one you find uses for it! My $0.02

Sorry, did I write marble? I meant porcelain.
I actually had a marble one on display at my shelf for years, until I decided to try out David Thompson's Thai Food. I tried it once and went straight to the store and bought an excellent granite one for 40-50 bucks. I don't like chewing marble.

That one looks great for pesto and salads and stuff.
For making wet curries a narrower bowl is better. It keeps the matter more consentrated and considerably less splashing.

That one looks great for pesto and salads and stuff.
For making wet curries a narrower bowl is better. It keeps the matter more consentrated and considerably less splashing.

Thanks for the heads up. I seasoned it last night and its ready for business today in the kitchen. I'll give it a try with some pesto sauce.

Mmm.. Home made pesto... !
That's it! Tomorrow is pasta&pesto day, and I don't care what anybody says.

Glad to help. And if you eventually decide to make proper thai, just get one of those no-brand P&Ms from your local thai store. Doesn' cost much and will outlast your grandchildren.

Back