What nationality(s) are you?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a crabby little old fat woman. You can find us in every country. We all look alike.

Even more if you can cook like any of the little old fat ladys, whose food I have had the pleasure of sampling!

50% Irish, 12.5% Spanish, 12.5% English, then basically every other European country.

Marko: How 'bout them Giants indeed. Nicks lighting it up!

Ive always found it interesting that Americans never say they are actually American !!

They are always Polish/Irish/Itaian/Norwegian or whatever.

Why dont Americans say they are American ?

Because I'm not. SachemAllison, however, is.

My family came over here not long ago, and didn't associate with people outside of a small part of South Boston until my generation.

If I wasn't Irish, I'd wish to be. If I couldn't be, I'd want to be an American Native.

Born and raised in Canada.My parents,sisters and other relatives emigrated from(what is now known as Macedonia) in the late 50's..

My family came over here not long ago, and didn't associate with people outside of a small part of South Boston until my generation.

If I wasn't Irish, I'd wish to be. If I couldn't be, I'd want to be an American Native.
I don't need to say I'm American, we were here first and we didn't call it America.lol We called it "ahki.heh" which just meant Land.

Ive always found it interesting that Americans never say they are actually American !!

. Because American is not yet nor arguably has it ever been a true ethnicity. It is more like belonging to a political club with pretty open membership standards.

German, Scottish, English, Norweigan....I could probably go on for a while, lets just call it eclectic.

About 75% Norwegian...and the rest is from those infidel countries like Denmark, Sweden, and Germany.

Btw, my Grandfather was a good chunk Norwegian Sami (Eskimo). I don't know how I declare that.

k.

About 75% Norwegian...and the rest is from those infidel countries like Denmark, Sweden, and Germany.

Btw, my Grandfather was a good chunk Norwegian Sami (Eskimo). I don't know how I declare that.

k.
the best part.:thumbsup:

the best part.:thumbsup:

Good one.

The strange thing is that when my Grandfather's family was 'relocated' and taught how to be civilized, the Norwegians taught them music. And too this day that side of the family is exceptionally musical (not a bad thing IMO). I'm a handful of violins, several decades, and a ocean removed from those cold-livin' ancestors.

k.

russian and lithuanian (and i guess a little polish)... 3rd generation Californian on both sides of the family. 4th or 5th generation american depending on what side of the family. Funny thing is my parents both met in CA, but both families are from ohio.

100 % russian but lived most of my life in Denmark

100% Michigan smartass. When i am not that, i am 50% Irish and 50% Cherokee indian.

Depending on who succeeded in invading who during the past three centuries, in no particular order I'm part Russian, Czech, Hungarian, Mongolian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarus and Polish.

Irish (family name was Riley) French and Indian ( Apache)
Ate good ole southwestern food but now its all open game!!!

Where in Southy did your family live? My great grandfather first "settled" in South Boston when he came over from Belgium. I grew up in that area and was a member of the South Boston Boys Club as a kid.

if we're counting here on the US, both sides of my family were 4th or 5th (i can't keep them straight) Floridian. i was born in Tennessee, on my parent's way back to Florida from New England, so i broke the pattern.

Do you have any "hurrican of '26" stories? It blew the entire roof off my great-grandmother's house except for over the kitchen. The story is that poor old great granny got pretty hacked off when everyone was packed in the kitchen and all the kids started whinging about being hungry and wanting her to cook something in the midst of a hurricane.

As my parents drilled into me and my siblings: we are Americans by nationality and Korean by ancestry/racial extraction.

Great-grandparents were part of the "Ilse" Korean emigration to Hawaii in 1902 and 1903. Sadly, I have very little connection to Korea or Korean culture. As the joke went in high school, I'm a banana: yellow on the outside, white on the inside.

PS: How 'bout those Tebows, err... Broncos! :groucho:

Mother's side is English & Cherokee, Father's side is Italian, Hungarian. Last name is Italian.

100% Chinese, though as I'm learning these days that's still pretty broad. There's some definite regionalism going on there. Cantonese/Hongkongese parents, to be exact ... though I'm occasionally reminded that my dad's side comes from a particular county/region in Canton - even more sub-regionalism.

Born and raised as a Canadian. Like Americans, we generally don't state we're Canadian but respond about where our ancestral roots were from. (Possible exception: at international hockey tournaments)

Good point -- when the World Cup is underway, I am 100% Italian. Although I kinda wanted to deny that in 2010...

Yeah you did. At least you aren't French.

Where in Southy did your family live? My great grandfather first "settled" in South Boston when he came over from Belgium. I grew up in that area and was a member of the South Boston Boys Club as a kid.
I don't know the area well, I was the first generation to not be raised there, because my dad hated it so bad--he was there from '46 to the late '50s. He dropped his accent and will happily talk about anything and everything except his time in South Boston and Vietnam.

Although after we watched Mystic River he got really pissed off and started complaining about the people and culture there and a few strange accent shifts slipped through. It was weird.

I always wonder the same thing, which is why I said I was 100% American. The question was what nationality are you, right? As usual, I am overthinking things :)

I always wonder the same thing, which is why I said I was 100% American. The question was what nationality are you, right? As usual, I am overthinking things :)

If I was in another country and someone asked, I would say that I am American or from the U.S.

However, when talking about people's heritage/backgrounds, 'American' doesn't really mean much as far as who you are or where you came from...maybe nationality was the wrong word to use, but it is the way I've been describing my whole life.

I've always curious about people's backgrounds (not on the forums specifically, but in life in general), especially those who celebrate their nationality/heritage in some way.

Polish(50%), Ukrainian(25%) and Scottish(25%)

Our family only really celebrates the Polish side, as I grew up with homemade dishes from my grandmother/ma/aunts.

What about you guys?

Same, except sub English for the Ukrainian.

Back