What pans are you guys personally using?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to be careful about try-ply (3 ply) vs. 5 ply. At least some manufacturers use creative marketing here. The center aluminum core has very thin layers of a different grade of aluminum fused to it to enhance bonding to the outer steel. Some makers, I think Made In and Misen are among them, count these bonding layers so they call them 5 ply. I don't know how universal or not this is.

I really want a control freak. If I ever find them on sale I won't be able to stop myself .
A Control Freak is just a very controllable induction hob that runs on 120v. ****** pans remain ****** when used on one. It still has all the characteristics and challenges of any induction coil. But yes, it is better than regular electric. Every year around November/December they go on sale. I got mine from JB Prince.

I’m a pan collector of sorts so I’m all over the place.

Most cooking is done on nonstick skillets (2 sizes, replaced every year or so, various brands), a Mazetti tin-lined 12” copper frying pan, a made-in CS skillet; for pots I have a variety of SS (all clad, made-in, cuisinart) a small non-stick with a pour spout, and a couple of tin lined copper pots. I have some flame-tolerant stoneware and a couple of enameled cast iron DO’s. Stock pots are all clad stainless. I make stocks and sometimes veggies in a Fissler pressure cooker.

Basically a little of everything. The one type I really don’t like is non-enameled cast iron. I just prefer lighter things. I have a cast iron griddle that sits on my rangetop but I don’t use it very often.

A Control Freak is just a very controllable induction hob that runs on 120v. ****** pans remain ****** when used on one. It still has all the characteristics and challenges of any induction coil. But yes, it is better than regular electric. Every year around November/December they go on sale. I got mine from JB Prince.

Well the thing is Ive cooked on some ranges that simply cannot put out enough power, or are so uneven as to be effectively useless. Any induction compatible pan even from value brands like TFal or the restaurant supply stores one a Control Freak is gonna be better than a Demeyere Atlantis on some rental ranges.

IME anyway

Very true...... But I don't have garbage cookware. I use an induction burner every day , because I hate my flat top electric. The pros of induction far out weight the cons in my case, and it would be money well spent to get a control freak, but I just don't want to spend it. It's half the price of a quality induction range , at the price I might as well just buy the induction range

I want an induction range. what is holding me up is that I will have to get an outlet installed behind my stove. I had the electrical panel prepped and increased for the added future capacity, but daannnnggg..

I have to add the cost of an electrician to the stove. brutal.

I want an induction range. what is holding me up is that I will have to get an outlet installed behind my stove. I had the electrical panel prepped and increased for the added future capacity, but daannnnggg..

I have to add the cost of an electrician to the stove. brutal.
Do you have an electric stove currently ? Or do you have to have electric run for it ?

Do you have an electric stove currently ? Or do you have to have electric run for it ?
no juice. I'm burning gas.

my electrician is OCD. he wants the make/model of the stove I hope to buy and he puts the plug in the location required in the specs. it's a process.

I need to go electric. I want to see if it improves my asthma. my doc said some of the byproducts of a gas stove can exacerbate things. dunno. worth a try since I still have time on this planet :D

Last edited:

my electrician is OCD. he wants the make/model of the stove I hope to buy and he puts the plug in the location required in the specs. it's a process.

I need to go electric. I want to see if it improves my asthma. my dog said some of the byproducts of a gas stove can exacerbate things. dunno. worth a try since I still have time on this planet :D
I like gas but have never had it in my home. Switched out an electric range for an induction and it is really nice to cook on. I'm a convert

I need to go electric. I want to see if it improves my asthma. my doc said some of the byproducts of a gas stove can exacerbate things. dunno. worth a try since I still have time on this planet

I like gas but have never had it in my home. Switched out an electric range for an induction and it is really nice to cook on. I'm a convert
What range did you get? I am planning on getting an induction range this year. I have been looking at the offerings from Bosch

@Taurahe I couldn't afford to go play in the upscale neighborhood but I'm super happy with this one so far. It plays very nicely with all my cast iron/enameled cookware, dead silent. The element makes a little buzzing noise with my All-Clad D3 stuff and more so with the Brandless 5-ply stuff. You can't really hear it with the hood fan on but it's worth noting. I'm extremely pleased with the oven. Convection and air fry modes both work nicely, haven't tried to dehydrate anything yet. Holds temp and is well insulated, doesn't heat up the kitchen nearly as much as my LG oven did that wasn't particularly old. The bridge function on the left two elements works well enough, I don't have a griddle plate but used it on a big oval Dutch oven.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire...Range-Smudge-proof-Stainless-Steel/5014449457

12" lodge frying pan
Vintage cast iron dutch oven
8" cheap non stick for morning eggs
Set of Revere ware from the 1940's for pots

Not the fanciest, but I have an old Revere set too. Evan a matching measuring cup;-) 20240110_133701[1].jpg

You have to be careful about try-ply (3 ply) vs. 5 ply. At least some manufacturers use creative marketing here. The center aluminum core has very thin layers of a different grade of aluminum fused to it to enhance bonding to the outer steel. Some makers, I think Made In and Misen are among them, count these bonding layers so they call them 5 ply. I don't know how universal or not this is.
Demeyere also counts the bonding layers to get to 5 layers. Their 7 layer version actually has a mix of layers on the bottom that's not standard...but in all honesty I can't say I really find it impacting performance in a noticable fashion on the frying pans.

But yeah in general the amount of layers is not very informative or important. It's basically all about the thickness of the aluminium layer.

What range did you get? I am planning on getting an induction range this year. I have been looking at the offerings from Bosch
I know the US market is a bit different, but I'd at least consider a seperate cooktop / oven setup when going induction.

my gas stove/cooktop is going bad. I have to slam my oven door closed now. haha.

matter of time.

I know the US market is a bit different, but I'd at least consider a seperate cooktop / oven setup when going induction.
If anything it’s more important. We have a maximum of 240v and none of those crazy high voltages Europe has. So at 240v, a high power cooktop can require a 50A circuit. A good oven requires 30-50A. Both require dedicated circuits. You don’t see two lines going to a range. So if you use a range, you are limiting your power to both cooktop and oven. Separates are the way.

If anything it’s more important. We have a maximum of 240v and none of those crazy high voltages Europe has. So at 240v, a high power cooktop can require a 50A circuit. A good oven requires 30-50A. Both require dedicated circuits. You don’t see two lines going to a range. So if you use a range, you are limiting your power to both cooktop and oven. Separates are the way.
yup. that's what the Electrician said.

Yeah it's the same issue with induction stoves here... hence why they're a very small part of the market... Even with a 2x220v setup they're still very much a compromise device.

FWIW most cooktops here are not on crazy high voltages, they're just on a combined 2x220v x 16a group. The 1x380v setups are really the exceptions and you generally only see it on the 90 cm models.

I would be really bummed if I couldn’t use my copper. I had a mediocre induction cooktop in the house I bought a few years ago, and I replaced it with gas. Much prefer gas…

I need to go electric. I want to see if it improves my asthma. my doc said some of the byproducts of a gas stove can exacerbate things. dunno. worth a try since I still have time on this planet :D
There is some pretty good evidence that gas stoves increase risk of respiratory and cardiovascular disease. My understanding is that using a vented range hood somewhat ameliorates this.

We have a gas stove in the main house and an electric stove in the granny flat. A couple of years ago, the electic stove broke and we replaced it with an induction stove. I've been very impressed with the controllability and responsiveness of the induction stove.

I think the main downsides of induction are:
1) I'd be worried about scratching it with coarse grained cast iron or similar.
2) Not ideal for seasoning. I guess you could just buy an outdoor LPG burner for this purpose.

Apart from these, I'd happily use induction and when it comes time for a new stove, it will probably be induction even though the wiring will be fairly expensive to install in our kitchen.

A good gas stove is worth any incidental reduced life expectancy. There's nothing like the flame telling you it's "game on," and telling you exactly how much heat you're pouring into the pan by sight, once you can read it.

Even if the induction stoves solved the "round bottom carbon-steel wok problem" that is central to most of my cooking, and the "I'm not giving up my Griswold with fire ring problem," I don't think I'd be much interested.

There is some pretty good evidence that gas stoves increase risk of respiratory and cardiovascular disease. My understanding is that using a vented range hood somewhat ameliorates this.

We have a gas stove in the main house and an electric stove in the granny flat. A couple of years ago, the electic stove broke and we replaced it with an induction stove. I've been very impressed with the controllability and responsiveness of the induction stove.

I think the main downsides of induction are:
1) I'd be worried about scratching it with coarse grained cast iron or similar.
2) Not ideal for seasoning. I guess you could just buy an outdoor LPG burner for this purpose.

Apart from these, I'd happily use induction and when it comes time for a new stove, it will probably be induction even though the wiring will be fairly expensive to install in our kitchen.
If you’re speaking of the “study” cited by a congressman about the correlation between respiratory disease such as asthma and living in a home with gas appliances, this is miles away from being “pretty good evidence.” Like most epidemiological studies, it is extremely weak, because it does not measure anything. Living in a house with a gas stove is used as a proxy for “exposure to gas,” but the latter is unknown because there is no actual measurement of anything. There are other glaring weaknesses to the study. The attack on natural gas - a cheap and plentiful source of life saving energy for millions - is criminal.

There's some threads floating around discussing induction cooktops that might be worth a look. If you're looking at Bosch I'd also consider other brands in the BSH stable (Siemens, Neff, whatever they have on the US market) since the control schemes are a bit different (in case of Neff IMO blatantly superior).

Back