What to buy with $120 store credit at MTCkitchen?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paosquared

Reaction score
Hello all.

A family friend gifted me a Hasegawa board from MTCkitchen that I already own, so I'll be returning it for credit and picking up something else.

Any suggestions on what I should get? For reference here's all my gear/stones:

Knives:
Yoshikane SKD 240mm Gyuto
Ashi Ginga Stainless 240mm Wa Gyuto
Shun Premier Grey 8" Chef Knife
Gesshin Stainless 150mm Wa Petty
Ashi Ginga Stainless 120mm Yo Petty
Kiwi Nakiri

Stones:
Suehiro Debado 180
Shapton Pro 1000
Shapton Rockstar 3000

Flattening:
Atoma 140
Diamond Resin 50 grit flattening plate (on glass)

Misc:
Sink Bridge from sharpeningsupplies.com
Hasegawa board + board scrubber

I'm thinking a Shapton Glass 500 would be a good buy to finish up my stones. Not sure if I need any finer stones than the Rockstar 3000 for the knives I have. I do plan on buying a Wat Pro at some point in the future.

Any suggestions for me?

the shapton glass is a great stone

the shapton glass is a great stone
yep was gonna get the 500 but that still leaves me with quite a bit of wiggle room. around 80 more dollars if i get the regular sg 500 and around 60 more if i get the 10mm double thick sg 500

the 500 is my favorite of the line up, great for bevel setting and major touch ups. I do find them to dish a bit so the double isn't a bad idea if you're a heavy sharpener.

would a fine stone like a shapton rockstar 6000 do me any good ? i keep hearing people saying that high grit finishing stones like that are better for high carbon steels and not the stainless blades i already have...

would a fine stone like a shapton rockstar 6000 do me any good ? i keep hearing people saying that high grit finishing stones like that are better for high carbon steels and not the stainless blades i already have...
Depends on the stainless. Ginsan, Aeb-l and R-2 (not a comprehensive list) can benefit if a refined edge is indicated.
Heck, my old Al Mar folder (Aus-6 steel) gets noticeably sharper off my Cerax 5k.

500 would be a lot more useful. You already have 3000. You aren’t going to notice much difference with the 6k.

500 would be a lot more useful. You already have 3000. You aren’t going to notice much difference with the 6k.
i see. i was already planning to get the 500 but that still leaves me some wiggle room since the credit is for 120 bucks and the sg500 is 44 for the regular, 63 for the double thickness

i see. i was already planning to get the 500 but that still leaves me some wiggle room since the credit is for 120 bucks and the sg500 is 44 for the regular, 63 for the double thickness
Like I said in another comment, assuming (since you are in NJ) that you are purchasing in person in store, spend the rest on sundries. Good soy sauce, sushi rice, furikake, sweets, etc. They have lots of cool stuff besides knife stuff.

SG 500 standard or double thick. Check out the store itself. If you don't happen to spend your money on anything else, an Atoma would be a nice thing to get.

Hasegawa cutting board.
Hasagawa cutting board for meat. You can put it in dishwasher.
i am returning a hasegawa cutting board. she bought me the same one one i already have.
Like I said in another comment, assuming (since you are in NJ) that you are purchasing in person in store, spend the rest on sundries. Good soy sauce, sushi rice, furikake, sweets, etc. They have lots of cool stuff besides knife stuff.
i dont think i have time to make it out to NYC unfortunately, so i will be ordering online. that said, their umami powder looks very enticing and i think i will either go with that, or a 6k grit stone, but im not sure if i even need a 6k grit.
SG 500 standard or double thick. Check out the store itself. If you don't happen to spend your money on anything else, an Atoma would be a nice thing to get.
i've already got an atoma 140, do i need another?

Good question. IMO, for cutting food, not much. High grit edges are more useful for cutting non food related things like hair and paper.
Dissenting opinion: for my single-bevel fish knives, my 10 and 12k are genuinely useful.

On my general kitchen knives, I’ll go to 3k, and on the raw meat knives I call it good at 1k … an older Shapton 1k which is 800ish.

Dissenting opinion: for my single-bevel fish knives, my 10 and 12k are genuinely useful.

On my general kitchen knives, I’ll go to 3k, and on the raw meat knives I call it good at 1k … an older Shapton 1k which is 800ish.
“Not much” would include some exceptions, including preparing sashimi, but that’s a pretty infrequent task for most people.

i am returning a hasegawa cutting board. she bought me the same one one i already have.

i dont think i have time to make it out to NYC unfortunately, so i will be ordering online. that said, their umami powder looks very enticing and i think i will either go with that, or a 6k grit stone, but im not sure if i even need a 6k grit.

i've already got an atoma 140, do i need another?
Do you have a 400? 1200?

And define 'need' 😂

But seriously, that store has a lot of Japanese stuff most other places don't carry, or are hard to find. Browse around. I'm sure there's something you can spend your refund and max your credit cards on.

Hello all.

A family friend gifted me a Hasegawa board from MTCkitchen that I already own, so I'll be returning it for credit and picking up something else.

Any suggestions on what I should get? For reference here's all my gear/stones:

Knives:
Yoshikane SKD 240mm Gyuto
Ashi Ginga Stainless 240mm Wa Gyuto
Shun Premier Grey 8" Chef Knife
Gesshin Stainless 150mm Wa Petty
Ashi Ginga Stainless 120mm Yo Petty
Kiwi Nakiri

Stones:
Suehiro Debado 180
Shapton Pro 1000
Shapton Rockstar 3000

Flattening:
Atoma 140
Diamond Resin 50 grit flattening plate (on glass)

Misc:
Sink Bridge from sharpeningsupplies.com
Hasegawa board + board scrubber

I'm thinking a Shapton Glass 500 would be a good buy to finish up my stones. Not sure if I need any finer stones than the Rockstar 3000 for the knives I have. I do plan on buying a Wat Pro at some point in the future.

Any suggestions for me?

Depends on what you need/want? I shop at MTC often, easy subway ride for me in NYC.

A few thoughts on a $120 credit that won't go far—put the credit towards a suji or single bevel; buy a sack of great rice plus some other ingredients; partial payment on an induction rice cooker; my King NEO 800 and Debado 1k ex-width are awesome stones; they got some nice ceramic ware, donabes, etc.; pick up some sushi making essentials like a sharkskin wasabi grater and Hasegawa sushi mat; it's a fun store to browse around in.

Depends on what you need/want? I shop at MTC often, easy subway ride for me in NYC.

A few thoughts on a $120 credit that won't go far—put the credit towards a suji or single bevel; buy a sack of great rice plus some other ingredients; partial payment on an induction rice cooker; my King NEO 800 and Debado 1k ex-width are awesome stones; they got some nice ceramic ware, donabes, etc.; pick up some sushi making essentials like a sharkskin wasabi grater and Hasegawa sushi mat; it's a fun store to browse around in.
i'm not big on serving vessels/plates/bowls, but a donabe is something i had not considered. which would you recommend if i'm usually cooking for 3-4?

Back