What to get

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used knives are great--I buy and sell often actually! You can buy them for less than they cost new, therefore getting more for your money. I think someone suggested posting in b/s/t wanting to buy. If you look you will notice that many wanting to buy posts are very successful, you may even wind up being able to afford a 210 gyuto which would be an awesome knife to learn to use as well as sharpen. You can often get your money back by reselling the knife (minus the cost of shipping) allowing you to try a few options at your leisure to see what you really like.

:2cents:

Congratz on the b-day. What I mean is I think the cleaver would be little big (not knowing your size). Whereas you can practice the same cuts with a nakiri.

Thanks for the input.

Alright, I think I will look into buying used.

There are two problems I can think of though; the first is that I am unsure what a good knife would be, and the bevel would need to be set correctly if it isn't already.

I also think a 210 gyuto from the B/S/T here would be a good choice. You should't have to worry about the knife being sharpened properly if you get it from someone here, it would likely be set up properly already.

Go to the bst and create a wtb 210 guyto thread.

julian talk to knyfeknerd, he may something for you. tell him i sent you

Okay but I am going to do it in the morning; I have been in the YouTube knuckleheads thread and it is now very late.

If you got multiple (or any) offers, you could always post them here--we love to give suggestions! :)

If you buy something unused, or at least not sharpened, or from a competent sharpener, bevels should be okay. I'm guessing you don't want to pay for professional sharpening. Or you could just follow some of the very good advice on here and do your own sharpening.

Speaking of which, how do you plan to sharpen?

Thanks for the input.

Alright, I think I will look into buying used.

There are two problems I can think of though; the first is that I am unsure what a good knife would be, and the bevel would need to be set correctly if it isn't already.

Julian, evidently there are two sizes. I would recommend the smaller one for a home cook. You can find both sizes here.

It appears that those are the stainless versions. In my experience and according to the website, there is only one size for the high-carbon steel cleaver.

Back