What would you change about this collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blumbo

just a normal dude
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
My current lineup. Take 2 knives away and add 2 knives back to make this more ideal in your eyes ^^

- MSicard Wolfram Spesh 250x55
- Wakui B2 Dama 242x50
- Sakai Takayuki G3 Dama 230x48
- Kagekiyo B1 Dama 228x49
- Munetoshi Bloomery 215x49
- Tetsujin B2 (exMetal Flow) 205x46
- Kikuchiyo Izo G3 205x50
- Moritaka AS 180x60
- Sakai Takayuki G3 Dama 167x45
- Kai Seki AUS8 135x29

IMG_0631.jpeg

Shudders in rectangle cult*
(Not actually looking to make big moves at the moment without more time with a few of the newer ones but I like hearing about other people’s thought processes and values are when it comes to this hobby)

Last edited:
Shudders in rectangle cult*

It seems you already know the answer...

I'm bitten by the workhorse bug so will always recommend one. I do also think a few more rectangles would do you well though. I really like the ~180x60 size but I also prefer my 170 nakiri to a comparably sized santoku or gyuto. A cleaver in the "Small Slicer" range ~205x90 is also a really nice place to start and is a little easier to learn on than a larger one. Particularly if you use it regularly for ARM you'll get a taste for the delightful versatility.

And get an Okubo. You need some thiccness in your life.

Get rid of two gyutos and pick up a sujihiki and a sujipetty for slicing.

I’ve actually never used a suji but also never felt like I was missing something to slice things with. Are they all that much better than gyutos? I imagine the main advantage is that they might be more nimble so if you’re slicing around bones in a turkey it might be nice ~ but otherwise if you’re slicing straight does it make a difference?

It seems you already know the answer...

I'm bitten by the workhorse bug so will always recommend one. I do also think a few more rectangles would do you well though. I really like the ~180x60 size but I also prefer my 170 nakiri to a comparably sized santoku or gyuto. A cleaver in the "Small Slicer" range ~205x90 is also a really nice place to start and is a little easier to learn on than a larger one. Particularly if you use it regularly for ARM you'll get a taste for the delightful versatility.

And get an Okubo. You need some thiccness in your life.

I’ve been eying the 210x90 okubo but am worried I’ll need to work out a little more first 😂

I'm gonna be rude and remove 3. You can probably keep the Munetoshi Bloomery if you really want to as it is special.

I would add a long suji. don't think you need a short suji for home. at least not with a 10 knives set. I would then add a no.6 cleaver.

I'm gonna be rude and remove 3. You can probably keep the Munetoshi Bloomery if you really want to as it is special.

I would add a long suji. don't think you need a short suji for home. at least not with a 10 knives set. I would then add a no.6 cleaver.

Hahahaha someone hates 210s ^^

Which knives do you currently use the most and enjoy? Have you used them all?

If I’m cooking mindlessly (70%) I’ll pick up the petty and the ginsan santoku or the Moritaka Nakiri - but my favorite knife right now is the Munetoshi, which feels really confident on the board, has great food release and does most things well. Thank goodness I’m not much of a squash/sweet potato eater. The only one I haven’t used much is the Kagekiyo which feels a little brittle but it probably cuts the best next to the tetsujin and Msicard.

Last edited:
Hahahaha someone hates 210s ^^
nah, just think you can swap them for other things that you don't have in your lineup. given you have 4 gyutos from 228mm to 250mm, I assume you don't have space issue. if you really need something nimble, adding a 210mm suji or a honesuki might not be a bad idea either.

I'd scrap the Sakai Takayuki G3 Dama 230x48. Just feels a bit redundant since you have two other dammy's the same size and a smaller version of the exact same knife.
I thought about that too, but it is the only semi-stainless. sometimes you just won't have time or don't want to clean the knife up until later...

I thought about that too, but it is the only semi-stainless. sometimes you just won't have time or don't want to clean the knife up until later...
Couldn't agree more. My most used knife is a 135 stainless. In that case I would replace it with another stainless, or stainless clad. For japanese, TF or Toyama? Western there are all kinds of dope stainless knives, Magnacut maybe?

I would:
-At least consider having more (semi)stainless gyutos.
-Get some knives for protein work (although that's quite dependent on your diet). Be that simple filleting knife, honesuki, boning knife or whatever.
-Add a suji.
-Try a 270 gyuto.

As to what to remove... just have them all in rotation for a while, try to give them all a fair chance...and then see what sees the least use. Eventually your favorites float to the top.

I’ve been eying the 210x90 okubo but am worried I’ll need to work out a little more first 😂
Maaaan me too, but I think that's gonna be pretty hefty for your first cleaver. By no means let that stop you, full dive in. I'm pretty sure my 180 Okubo is already heavier than anything you have, except maybe the Sicard. Concur a Sugimoto #6 would be good too, just don't pay $400 for one.

I love me some Munetoshi so can't fault that, unless you swap for 240, which I suspect gets thinner at the tip but I've never tried the 210. Too gorgeous of a patina on the bloomery though.

Depending on how much meat you prep, I also think a sabaki is a great addition. I have this Okahide sabaki that is a constant worker in my lineup. I use it to break down chickens, trim butts and briskets, and do general cleanup work that my preference for tall gyutos makes unwieldy. Doubles as a good petty just thicker spined, and I don't have much use for a petty otherwise.

The most meat breakdown I’ll do is a chicken or fish maybe once a month but my 135 petty has never left me wanting. Do meat/butcher specific knives really do the job better?

The sabaki is thicker spined so stiffer, and thicker ground so it can hold up to knicking bones and splitting joints better than a standard petty. Not a must have, but it also makes it's way on to every one of those "if you could only have 3 knives" lists that make the rounds. For me at least.

The most meat breakdown I’ll do is a chicken or fish maybe once a month but my 135 petty has never left me wanting. Do meat/butcher specific knives really do the job better?
it's about the experience I think. otherwise, most people will only need one gyuto and one petty. scissors can do chicken pretty well and you won't have to worry about chipping your knife. a lot places can actually cut your chicken for you. however, i sometimes purposely buy three whole birds just to cut them (from a place that can butcher your chicken however you want for you)...

My current lineup. Take 2 knives away and add 2 knives back to make this more ideal in your eyes ^^

- MSicard Wolfram Spesh 250x55
- Wakui B2 Dama 242x50
- Sakai Takayuki G3 Dama 230x48
- Kagekiyo B1 Dama 228x49
- Moritaka AS 180x60
- Sakai Takayuki G3 Dama 167x45
- Kai Seki AUS8 135x29

Remove
Tetsujin B2 205x46
Kagekiyo B1 dama 228x49
Sakai Takayuki G3 Dama 167x45

Add
Konosuke Sumiiro SLD 160 petty
Heiji Semi-Stainless 210 suji
Kippington AEB-L 260 gyuto

I think that gives more balance between stainless/semi-stainless and carbon, and also a more diverse range of lengths and styles. For home use, I find long gyutos and short sujis get used more frequently than long sujis (though long sujis look cooler). I’d also humbly submit that you should add one absolutely top grade cutter like a Kipp to the collection.

I’ve actually never used a suji but also never felt like I was missing something to slice things with. Are they all that much better than gyutos? I imagine the main advantage is that they might be more nimble so if you’re slicing around bones in a turkey it might be nice ~ but otherwise if you’re slicing straight does it make a difference?

The main advantage is that the suji has a shorter heel height and thinner grind which means there is much less drag than a gyuto making very thin and/or uniform slices much easier without sawing. A shorter sujipetty is very nice for trimming meat and fish and peeling veggies and fruit.

I have a 270 and a 210 that I used every day when I worked in hotel banquets. They mostly sit in my knife roll in the closet nowadays. But when I need them I am very glad I still have them. I ended up using them a lot over the holidays. The big one for slicing leg of lamb and the little one for trimming and de-silverskinning a beef tenderloin.

What you should be asking yourself is what can you do with eight gyutos that you can't do with one. 😆

Latest posts

Back