Whatever happened to Aritsugu A-type?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that is your criteria I really think you should look at yoshihiro. Its not a laser but won't need massive thinning either to perform really well and it should handle just about anything.

If that is your criteria I really think you should look at yoshihiro. Its not a laser but won't need massive thinning either to perform really well and it should handle just about anything.

i am not really looking for another laser so that is one of the points that makes me have some interest in the yoshihiro. i dont mind a little work but from what everyone has said about the a-type the last few years is that when you put the time into it, it will be a wonderful knife. i dont mind putting in time, but i also dont want to put in the time if it is not going to be what im looking for

also in regards to the heiji and watanabe, i have been thinking about clad knives as being the better choice for what i am looking for. really, i have been steering away from the clad knives after owning the hiromoto for 3+ years and although i do recommend that knife to people for a lot of reasons, its just not really what im looking for at the moment. the biggest problem with these two makers is the knives im probably going to look into are going to be a little more on the expensive side.

anyone know where to learn more about watanabe or suggestions from those who may own one??

I'm sure lots of people on the forum either have Watanabes now or have owned one in the past. My own thoughts are that they're great knives, even if they aren't a current fad. Traditional clad construction, with pretty reactive (at first cladding), fairly robust, blade heavy, with a generous curve that suits them to either rocking of push cutting. A lot of those qualities aren't celebrated right now, but they are well made and the blades are beautifully finished. Probably worth getting the octagon handle option in my opinion.

I'm sure if you wanted to learn more and started a topic many others would offer other thoughts.

Already covered that ground, in spades.

Back