Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!! Will be posting more from some specials I will be doing this weekend :)

SSPX0131.jpg

Mahi Gazpacho.

Beautiful Dish!! Mid giving a breakdown on the items on the plate? Just basically what it is and how it's cooked :)

LOVE this thread... i made pizza the other night..
5292_127947231705_580671705_2866859_7995565_n.jpg

IMG_20110408_162943.jpg

Five spice dusted chicken wings/legs, crispy house-made chinese bacon, grilled scallions, teriyaki and black garlic jus

I happened across a bunch of these guys while walking through the food hall at Grand Central:

5670783338_ba9a7d4cc4_b.jpg

...going to attempt a uni and crab pasta with spicy kale for dinner...

:bbq:

New York strip seared at 700º on the BGE, sauteed kale w/ red onion & garlic, sherry vinegar; rice cooked in roast chicken drippings w/ fresh chives out of the garden.

dinner04-29.jpg

There have been some really amazing meals, keep it up guys.

yes indeed, some really nice lookin eats!

I have the munchies... chocolate covered matzo with cayenne and palm sugar
222438_10150158567776706_580671705_7053414_6087978_n.jpg

n837092339_1977985_266357.jpg

Scallops and truffles

6136_111051562339_837092339_2171052_4877823_n.jpg

Foie Gras terrine with sauternes reduction

Mel, I am loving your dishes due to your well executed presentations. Silverhaze, what in the hell is palm sugar, looks like I have to do some research?

Haha thanks :) They'r basically dishes that I made for specials at the restaurant I'm working at. The presentation part comes mainly from the head chef, I just kinda provide the base products.

Palm sugar is basically sugar from the palm fruit. Used a lot in Thai cuisine. In my country, it usually comes in a plastic bottle with a layer of wax on top of the sugar to seal it. Very wet kind of sugar.

most of the palm sugar around here is made from coconut palm.. i actually was at this great place called Kalustyans in NYC and picked up some granulated artisanal palm sugar.. I have many different sugars I use honeys agave nector all sorts of sugars from sugar cane etc so when i saw the granulated palm sugar i had to grab it..

So many excellent and inspiring pics!

Don't know if anyone else is interested but please post which knives you used.

Also ID yourself as either a home cook or pro chef.

I usually grab whatever knife is at hand lol. My new knives just arrived a week ago and I'm in the process of sharpening them... Getting plenty of scratches on my gyuto but faring better on the petty.. As for your question, the terrine was cut by the chef with his misono dimpled ux10

I gained some serious weight over the winter months so now I'm back to my eating healthy routine and was surprised at how good this filet of Steelhead came out. I figured I would share it with you guys even though I spent no time on presentation. I added salt, pepper, cilantro, lemon zest, soy sauce and olive oil and then grilled for a couple of minutes on each side. The result is a very flavorful filet of fish that I was not expecting to taste this good.

I gained some serious weight over the winter months so now I'm back to my eating healthy routine and was surprised at how good this filet of Steelhead came out. I figured I would share it with you guys even though I spent no time on presentation. I added salt, pepper, cilantro, lemon zest, soy sauce and olive oil and then grilled for a couple of minutes on each side. The result is a very flavorful filet of fish that I was not expecting to taste this good.

Wouldn't mind having this for lunch right now...

Some fiddlehead ferns I picked by my friends pond.
fiddle1.jpg

And then later in the cast iron for dinner..
fiddle2.jpg

I've always been tempted to go pick my own fiddleheads in the spring, but never have. They grow in abundance around Ontario.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when the tips of fiddleheads unfurl they go from being edible to being poisonous. Truly an interesting and exotic vegetable.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when the tips of fiddleheads unfurl they go from being edible to being poisonous. Truly an interesting and exotic vegetable.

Fiddleheads are just immature ferns. There are thousands of kinds of ferns in the world, some of which are poisonous. To the best of my knowledge, the ones eaten most often in North America are Ostrich ferns, which are not poisonous. If they're eaten raw in quantities, they'll give a pretty upset stomach.

Does anyone know of an uploader that doesn't reduce image quality to such terrible resolutions?

Last edited:

Confit Chicken Wings, Kecap Manis Glaze

Chilean Sea Bass, Chorizo Dirty Rice, Tomatillo "Gazpacho"

Beignets

Tasmanian Salmon

Does anyone know of an uploader that doesn't reduce image quality to such terrible resolutions?

Looks like you've got some really nice food photography; shame about the resolution being squashed.

I really like Google's Picasa service. You can upload manually to the web album, but they also have a really awesome free program that works well for organizing you photos locally and then uploading large batches quickly.

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=guide.cs&guide=16027&rd=1

I use flickr for convenience as I share a login with my yahoo or gmail account. The good thing about flickr is that you can choose the image size that you want to link. A few more steps, but overall worth the trouble.

Looking good. Kecap manis? Where are you from avishar?

Heck, even I have a bottle of Kecap Manis! Doesn't everyone?

Back