Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spicy Miso Ramen—with jerk chicken, duck egg, vegetable gyoza, gailan, scallion, umami chili oil, sansho pepper, shichimi togarashi—for Tuesday’s lunch.
BA1272A5-A532-4612-B48D-16DB45A1FCA0.jpeg

A3F6C31A-EE8F-4BC7-B523-10BC4BD65257.jpeg

7170A24A-DA35-4034-B0F5-46337A848598.jpeg

No pizza oven yet, but I’m making do with a baking steel and my domestic oven.

Chorizo, basil and Zambian forest honey.

The honey is definitely what makes this combo so good; it’s heavy on the smoky, dark, and umami flavours. I think this is a common characteristic of forest honeys, but I’ve never tasted anything like this one before.

Within the red circles—red and black specs are shichimi togarashi; grayish-green specs are sansho (Japanese prickly ash), which is very similar to Sichuan pepper, can be used as a substitute, gives the same type of mouth numbing, citrusy taste. Both are bought ground, in little containers—will photograph the little containers when I’m in my kitchen.

Within the red circles—red and black specs are shichimi togarashi; grayish-green specs are sansho (Japanese prickly ash), which is very similar to Sichuan pepper, can be used as a substitute, gives the same type of mouth numbing, citrusy taste. Both are bought ground, in little containers—will photograph the little containers when I’m in my kitchen.
tip; buy whole peppers, if you can, lightly roast and grind fresh. When ground it looses a lot of flavor real quick.

tip; buy whole peppers, if you can, lightly roast and grind fresh. When ground it looses a lot of flavor real quick.
Cheers! 🥂 I’ve bought whole peppers and done just that, but sometimes I just like using a familiar brand. Also, making my own shichimi togarashi (seven spice) ends up costing me quite a bit more—and I’m left with a lot of extra dried yuzu, hemp seeds, etc.
I prefer homemade stuff, but my spice cabinet is already filled with many jars of fresh ground mixes—still working my way through last years garam masala and coffee-bbq rub.
For this weeks roast chicken, I used a paste centered around 'Bell's Seasoning,' a supermarket herb mix that's a lovely shortcut.

Last edited:
cooking for cancer part VI;

she 'had a craving for meat' , likely to up the old Heamoglobin so I obliged....some Limousin side flank steak cooked in Duck fat to get a crispy outside (that wok burner is crazy, I LOVE that thing)

quick red wine porto and cream reduction, enhanced with some beef fond and green peppercorns, bake off sourdough baguette-ish bread on the side.

20240524_212704.jpg

cooking for cancer part VI;

she 'had a craving for meat' , likely to up the old Heamoglobin so I obliged....some Limousin side flank steak cooked in Duck fat to get a crispy outside (that wok burner is crazy, I LOVE that thing)

quick red wine porto and cream reduction, enhanced with some beef fond and green peppercorns, bake off sourdough baguette-ish bread on the side.

View attachment 323569
I honestly never even considered throwing my steak in duck fat... what difference does it make?

I honestly never even considered throwing my steak in duck fat... what difference does it make?
it heats to far higher temp and coats the meat so it fries without losing moisture while at the same time crisping up the outside...just give it a go on a burner capable of high heat!
Butter, even ghee burns way before the temp this goes up in smoke.

Back