Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a guest Chef thing last night at the Walker Art Center here in Minneapolis. Great museum and a gorgeous building by Herzog & de Meuron. One of the dishes and a shot of the building. One of my favorite places in Minneapolis. The restaurant space is the lower window bay going out to the left. It overlooks downtown.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just plain good. Chicken roasted over sauteed onions, celery, garlic, thyme, lemon zest, pepper flakes, lemon juice; on top of old french bread in a cast iron skillet. With my favorite parsnip, roasted garlic, yukon gold mash.

bread1.jpg

bread2.jpg

bread3.jpg

castironchicken.jpg

Dinner at home tonight was smoked for two hours, then finished on a spit in the fire: whiskey peppered pork butt with puree of carrot, parsnip, and butterball potato, with white wine braised green beans. Intermezzo was shaved pear ice. Dessert was pecan pumpkin roll.

photo 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgTried this oat bread recipe off the back of an oat bag. The only thing I did different was I baked it in a covered cast iron dutch oven for the first 12 minutes, and extended the advised baking time by an extra 20 minutes. Home oven. Pretty tasty. Crust has an unusual flaky crispiness to it reminiscent of a cracker almost.

You probably want something better. This was the $200 special at wally world which my friend "forgot" at my house so Ive been seasoning it for him for the past year.

Hubby had a rotten week, so along with some comfort food of spaghetti & meatballs, he got garlic knots, which he christened "crispy pillows of joy":

Spaghet_zps10cd3424.jpg

Sauce made from tomatoes from the yard, lots of garlic & fresh basil, etc....

(The sauce/pasta ratio isn't as skewed as it appears in the picture--the bowl just made it look extra juicy.)

Hubby had a rotten week, so along with some comfort food of spaghetti & meatballs, he got garlic knots, which he christened "crispy pillows of joy":

Spaghet_zps10cd3424.jpg

Sauce made from tomatoes from the yard, lots of garlic & fresh basil, etc....

(The sauce/pasta ratio isn't as skewed as it appears in the picture--the bowl just made it look extra juicy.)

You have to rethink your bowl preference as that one is not conducive to the 'licking the plate clean' effect :D

This was the basic recipe I found (garlic knots are just pizza dough tied in knots and slathered with buttery, garlicky goodness after baking):

Garlic knots recipe

What I did differently--swapped out some of the flour for uncooked quick oatmeal--just something I try to do with my breads. (1 1/4 c bread flour, 1/2 c oatmeal). Used instant yeast instead of active dry (it's what I have handy), and made it in the mixer (add all ingredients except salt--mix to combine, let rest 20 minutes, add salt & mix until soft smooth ball, adjusting water/flour as needed to get texture right.) Oh, and I didn't read the directions carefully so I didn't cut the dough strips in half and the knots were twice the size they should have been. For the sauce--only 4 cloves of garlic? You've got to be kidding me! Needs LOTS of garlic! (I think there was close to 1/4 cup in this batch.) And it needed some olive oil, so a few good glugs of that (3 or 4 Tbsp?) And don't "paint" the rolls with the sauce--put them in a serving dish and dump it over them so you can swab up the drippings.

Next time I think I'd let the dough age a day or so after mixing to let the flavor develop more. And instead of minced garlic, I might make more of a paste and mix the sauce up earlier to let the flavors develop. And throw in some red pepper flakes.

This was the basic recipe I found (garlic knots are just pizza dough tied in knots and slathered with buttery, garlicky goodness after baking):

Garlic knots recipe

What I did differently--swapped out some of the flour for uncooked quick oatmeal--just something I try to do with my breads. (1 1/4 c bread flour, 1/2 c oatmeal). Used instant yeast instead of active dry (it's what I have handy), and made it in the mixer (add all ingredients except salt--mix to combine, let rest 20 minutes, add salt & mix until soft smooth ball, adjusting water/flour as needed to get texture right.) Oh, and I didn't read the directions carefully so I didn't cut the dough strips in half and the knots were twice the size they should have been. For the sauce--only 4 cloves of garlic? You've got to be kidding me! Needs LOTS of garlic! (I think there was close to 1/4 cup in this batch.) And it needed some olive oil, so a few good glugs of that (3 or 4 Tbsp?) And don't "paint" the rolls with the sauce--put them in a serving dish and dump it over them so you can swab up the drippings.

Next time I think I'd let the dough age a day or so after mixing to let the flavor develop more. And instead of minced garlic, I might make more of a paste and mix the sauce up earlier to let the flavors develop. And throw in some red pepper flakes.

Thanks for taking the time to share the recipe.

1383492_646351635385511_1105511631_n.jpg

Ousso bucco, risotto Milanese, lemon parsley crisp, fennel tops.

So my wife's Birthday was last Wednesday and I always make her favorite breakfast, pancakes and bacon. I make them from scratch and I swear these were the best pancakes I have ever had the pleasure to eat.

8fkc.jpg

I let the edges get crispy to give that textural contrast we so love to have, they were bad ass!

Those look great! I haven't had pancakes in 100 years or so. I like mine with sausage to swab in the syrup--grade B maple, please!

So a very generous member here offered to let me borrow their deba so I could get a handle on filleting fish. Here's the result, and thanks again to the person who offered the opportunity to try such a knife!

ml6y.jpg

iw1p.jpg

kd9f.jpg

52nw.jpg

I didn't take pictures of the filets because they were laughable at best. The dish though was fantastic!

My girlfriend wanted chili so I made my first pot of the season. Before anyone starts bashing me for using beans, I'm not a chili purist. I love all types of chili. I do make a pretty good "pure" Texas Red chili with nothing but meat and chiles but sometimes I'll used ground beef/chili grind and add beans and/or tomatoes. I only had 1 lb of chili grind in the freezer this time around and we knew we wanted leftovers so I added a couple cans of beans to help stretch out the pot.

photo.jpg

Hi at all... Pretty beautiful @mzer, it looks like smoked salmon roll with kind of fresh cheese and a touch of dill... What's the black over?

By the way, here has begun the season of mushrooms with the first autumns rains. So this weekend I have risen to the mountain to seeing what could find... In the old black poplar I have found these ones (Agrocybe Aegerita) and have cooked them in a very simple way with butter, salt, a bit of garlic, parsley and later to add a generous touch of olive oil from the variety "Serrana".

ver
[/url][/IMG]​

Sunday morning before lunch, at the moment of the beers with friends and ... Just enjoying.

ver
[/url][/IMG]​

Also I found these in the substratum of the pines, Lactarius Deliciosus (not Sanguifluus):

ver
[/url][/IMG]​

Just to cook it on honeyed rice (not risotto style) with a kind of phaseolus and cod.

Namaste

Hi at all... Pretty beautiful @mzer, it looks like smoked salmon roll with kind of fresh cheese and a touch of dill... What's the black over?

By the way, here has begun the season of mushrooms with the first autumns rains. So this weekend I have risen to the mountain to seeing what could find... In the old black poplar I have found these ones (Agrocybe Aegerita) and have cooked them in a very simple way with butter, salt, a bit of garlic, parsley and later to add a generous touch of olive oil from the variety "Serrana".

ver
[/url][/IMG]​

Sunday morning before lunch, at the moment of the beers with friends and ... Just enjoying.

ver
[/url][/IMG]​

Also I found these in the substratum of the pines, Lactarius Deliciosus (not Sanguifluus):

ver
[/url][/IMG]​

Just to cook it on honeyed rice (not risotto style) with a kind of phaseolus and cod.

Namaste

Mundo where do you live to pick such delicacies?

photo-49.jpg

Going to put this ham in brine tonight until Thanksgiving at which time it will be cooked in HAY. Sounds pretty cool to me. Hope it will be delicious and nobody dies. Anyone done this before?

Back