What's in your bag?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoiledbroth,
did you take the cleaver plunge? If you're considering it, you must do it. Especially if you're working line, where time is money and the extra real-estate makes for terrific cut and scoop. In truth, one day of using will be all you need to get accustomed to the new way of dealing with your blade. The CCK idea you mentioned is a sound one. The differences between an 11xx and its high-priced brethren (Sugimoto, Moritaka, etc) are negligible.
haha not quite yet, it has made it's way onto the "queue of purchases to be made" but it'll probably be next month sadly :( I got a carbon gyuto to play with, the last Masazumi swedish carbon 240 gyuto from that distributor who shalt not be named as well as a Rika 5k. And I might now be buying a little something from someone on here to round out my purchases this month. :shocked3: Something handmade!!!

Couldn't tell it was k tip, you can't see it in the picture. I have a 240 gyuto that I love and will probably go with Watanabe to replace my 210 deba of rage.

... BUMP I know everyone here is sweating it out over the summer, hence the lack of posts lately. I just got something that takes pictures so here you go.

This is what it looks like all packed up...
2hg5imt.jpg

and unpacked...
5vssgp.jpg

from left to right:
Fujiwara Kanefusa fkm 120
Wusthof 5"
Richmond/Fujiwara Kanefusa Artifex 210
Sukenari Ginsanmai 240
Tojiro DP Western Deba 240
Victorinox 10" Baker's bread
Yoshihiro Umanosuke 1141 ES 270
Idahone ceramic
Messermeister turning/saute fork
Ealy AEB-L maple 3"

Bottom row:
Microplane original zester
Messermeister takeapart shear
Ateco offset 3.75"

:)

Tell me about your case. Is that sold as a knife case or did you put it together?
I like it!

It is a knife case actually... I am a bit hesitant to mention it because I think they're going to be gone sooner than I'd like because of it... But KKF has been a source of more than a few good deals so I actually have no problem sharing ;)

I found it on ebay as a "Yongho Masterhands chef knife case" (awesome?!?!) it retails for about 99 CAD and ships from South Korea via SAL only if I remember correctly. Great deal though, really sturdy little cases. I had to cut the foam a bit because the knives all have edge guards making them a bit thicker and actually the case would hold one more large knife but I cut that part out to fit my microplane. So it's a half and halfer. The ebay seller has measurements but it looks like it could probably fit a 300mm yo knife making it the largest most affordable coffin type case I know of. The exterior is hard plastic and it has a handle and loops for a shoulder strap (though mine did not come with one).

It is small enough to fit comfortably into a medium sized backpack and it has locks on the clasps.

This is my BBQ kit

zHcIA0L.jpg

Itinomonn wa butcher (without a doubt my most important knife for bbq)
konosuke 210
cck 1303
itinomonn kasumi 240
kochi 270mm suji
thinned out forgecraft

thermapen, cut glove, new haven oyster knife, 2 stage waiter's wine opener, sharpie, fish tweezers, fish spatula, fish scaler, sauce brush

How do you keep your cck so clean looking.
I'm pretty sure that looks better than mine new.

uno mas because this is a thread I've been reading and wanting to contribute to since before I registered here...

ip75lu.jpg

L2R:
Cooper digital thermometer
offset tweezers
fish tweezers
2 sets of measuring spoons
messermeister bec d'oiseau
mastrad peeler
wusthof corer
henckels prep zester/canelle knife
deglon 25mm melon baller
chestnut tomato shark

Since I travel to unknown kitchens and cook from 1-3 weeks around the world, I try to be prepared for everything and my case tends to be a little bit full...

2015_08_18_19_00_03.jpg

Still looking for a great all-around pair of scissors (mostly for trimming chicken skin/fat), but after 2 years, this is what I've ended up "not being able to live without"

the messermeister ones I posted I can recommend as well... I use them to cut open lobster shells and stuff pretty regularly, they have a flathead "screwdriver" on the back of each handle and the walnut crushing thing. They were about 20 dollars and I'd say they have a pretty good sturdy construction. I leave them in diluted proquat 400 for extended periods of time and they haven't developed rust like some other cheaper stainless stuff I've owned in the past.

@tj yep I like the parer alot. It never leaves rotation :thumbsup:

Yeah I like the thermometer I've had that one for like 6 years now and the battery's not even dead :eyebrow: Doesn't get used too often though. When it goes I'll probably get a thermapen kinda thinking I should have jumped on that open box sale :yammer:

the messermeister ones I posted I can recommend as well... I use them to cut open lobster shells and stuff pretty regularly, they have a flathead "screwdriver" on the back of each handle and the walnut crushing thing. They were about 20 dollars and I'd say they have a pretty good sturdy construction. I leave them in diluted proquat 400 for extended periods of time and they haven't developed rust like some other cheaper stainless stuff I've owned in the past.

@tj yep I like the parer alot. It never leaves rotation :thumbsup:

Yeah I like the thermometer I've had that one for like 6 years now and the battery's not even dead :eyebrow: Doesn't get used too often though. When it goes I'll probably get a thermapen kinda thinking I should have jumped on that open box sale :yammer:

thanks Spoiledbroth, I just ordered the messermesiter ones to give them a try

I have to second the recommendation for the Messermeister shears...both that one and the Kershaw are well made take-apart shears (take-apart is key!). The Kershaw is definitely beefier, but I find them a bit too big for most everyday uses, so the Messermeister are the ones in my block. My friend swears by the Kershaw ones though, and has two pairs (raw and cooked).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Richard on this one too. The Kershaw are strong but can cut delicate things when asked. Nice that the two halves can be adjusted by tightening the center bold. DaveM motivated me to sharpen them on whet stones. Worked and was easy too.

Not so good are the pry points hat stick out of the rear of the handle, I can see their utility but do they have to be so dam sharp.

I really like the Mac shears. If they are going to be in your hands for extended periods of time they are more comfortable.

whoa Mac makes shears? How'd I miss that with my incessant window shopping... I'll admit the messermeister ones aren't terribly comfortable because they're ambidextrous.

I dumped out my toolbox at work and took pictures... Anyone else working???

click for larger versions

Todays Kit

* 240 Masamoto Yanagi
* CCK 1303
* 210 Tadafusa Nashiji
* 240 Konosuke Fujiyama
* 150 Pallares Solsona
* Mac Black, Global Fish Tweezers, ....

man I love that tadafusa! Great kit. What do you use the 240 yanagi for at work? Lots of smaller fish? Do you often wish for more length on it? I have been toying with the idea of buying a yanagiba in that length.

man I love that tadafusa! Great kit. What do you use the 240 yanagi for at work? Lots of smaller fish? Do you often wish for more length on it? I have been toying with the idea of buying a yanagiba in that length.

Use yanagi for portioning fish, crudo, some finishing slicing on certain proteins, the rare occasion i make sushi. The shorter size doesn't bother me , I dont rely on heavy yanagi work, fits what I need it for and doesn't take up much space on station/in bag.

I really like my larger yanagiba for most things, but I ended up covering our crudo/cold apps station for a second the other day and used a coworker's 240 to slice tuna crudos and it worked really well in the small space. I would miss the 30-50mm skinning big fillets though. Even my 270 can have a hard time with loins off a big tuna.

The Mac shears are seriously superior. My partner bought me mine after a particularly rough NYE dinner 4 or so years ago that involved cutting the fins off of around 100 speckled trout with the house scissors, which I'm pretty positive the Chef swiped from his primary school kids.

Since then they have done all sorts of crap, but mostly have been used to gill and cut fins off of approximately 15000 redfish and I am just now thinking about replacing them.

They are all metal with a comfortable rubber tool dip style handle that lasted me for about two years. After that I've cut the remnants off and re dipped them twice.

Like the Kershaw shears are described, they also excel at delicate tasks and are fairly easy to sharpen, and have tension adjustment.

I find it highly interesting in this forum of high-end tools for the cooking profession nearly all the posts have included a fish spatula and Global fish tweezers. I too carry both because there is no substitute if they aren't there. Maybe it's all the "always prepared" mantra from the scouts we were taught when young.

I find it highly interesting in this forum of high-end tools for the cooking profession nearly all the posts have included a fish spatula and Global fish tweezers. I too carry both because there is no substitute if they aren't there. Maybe it's all the "always prepared" mantra from the scouts we were taught when young.

It's funny, I use my Global fish tweezers for pulling duck feathers more than fish bones, and my Global seafood spoon/tool more for scraping bone marrow than pulling meat from shellfish...

I got my fish tweezers on amazon, they are from Kotobuki like my scaler, exceptionally affordable (10 dollars?)! good quality tools too. I just try to have one of everything I need on hand at my job because usually house equipment gets abused/misplaced.

Back