What's in your bag?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about all that, but thanks, Mike. Hard to believe, brother, since you are the one person who is about 90% responsible for my trip down the "rabbit hole" that is KILLER KNIVES!!! :cool2:

How do you like the Tanaka Yanagiba?

TRAVELER KIT

Tojiro DP 165mm Nakiri
Tosa 165mm Funayuki
Tosa 210mm Bunka
Zakuri 210mm Gyuto
Itinomon 210mm Sujihiki
Richmond 240mm S/S Gyuto
Tanaka 270mm Yanigiba
Vintage Sab S/S Parer
Peeler
Thermometer
Bowl scraper
knives0517155.JPG

Very pleased with the Tanaka. Actually installed a burnt chestnut handle, received from a fellow KKF member, and really like the cutting characteristics of it now. Additionally, I installed the Tanaka handle on the bunka pictured, and am really liking it, as well. "The moons are aligned"! :cool2:

lKQC1cS.jpg

300mm suisin inox western suji
240mm tanaka blue #2 gyuto
190mm hirimoto AS santoku
150mm fujiwara FKM petty
wusthof pairer

"The Every Day Kit"

Wusthof back pack w/ knife case insert
Twelve inch ceramic hone
Fourteen inch Henkel Roast Beef slicer reground
Peelers
Pen & pencil pouch w/wine opener, thermometers, etc.
Forschner garde manger kit w/additional birds beak
Basting spoon
Sushi mat
Kindle
Jaccard
Fish spatula
Bread knife
Pallet knife
Micro plane
Ealy wood spatula
kit1.JPG

kit2.JPG

kit3.JPG

kit4.JPG

kit5.JPG

Knife Case Insert

Kikuichi 210 mm gyuto
Artifex 210mm gyuto
Sakai Takayuki 195mm usuba
HHH 240mm gyuto
HHH 200mm line knife
Gesshin Ginga 210mm petty
Kramer by Shun ten inch slicer
Shigafusa 240mm gyuto
Tansu 230mm gyuto
HHH Warnclif paring knife
Tansu 173mm petty/mini gyuto
Wusthof sausage/saute fork
Suisin 150mm honesuki
Old Wusthof utility knife (broken tip) ground & profiled into a traditional western boning knife
Itinomon 120mm ajikiri

kit6.JPG

Certainly hope this thread didn't die. Maybe I plugged it up? Come on knife nuts, chefs & cooks..... Lets see the post of what you are carrying today! :cool2: This thread is too cool to let die.

I am too ashamed to picture my tadafusa gyuto , yoshi suji , yamawaku yanagi , tanaka deba , Henckels cleaver and Victorinox birds peak :)

Aint sexy but have to use it today so heres a pic - Off Site/Event Kit, used for events where the kitchen may be anything from a set up in a loading dock of a museum to a couple of tables, hot boxes and butane burners in a hallway. Cutting boards usually crappy plastic or the lid of a catering tin so no Katos, Shigs or Konos coming to the party

-Chinatown Petty
-Kuhn Rikon Bread Knife
-Suisin Western 240 Suji
-Refurb 10 inch Sab (Love this one, was a real junker when I got it, holds edge well and puts in work)
-Freebie Z Kramer Ceramic (Real aggressive grit on this one, would never use on my good stuff)
-Offset

I agree with Cheflarge! Best thread and shouldn't die.

My roll at the moment is probably laughable to many, but seriously, it is all I need and I really do like to travel light (yes folks, I use a levis pant leg) . Very rarely do I leave my roll at work and since my latest incident of my roll sprouting drunk feet, the roll will never again stay at work. period.
I used to vacillate between a 280 Gyuto and a large Chukabocho as my main machine. One can't even rely on a bleeding house paring knife to cut butter, so I always bring my own.

CCK 1102: temporarily seeing action and soon to be replaced by Jaybett's rescue blade.

Home made parer: $1 thriftstore find Mora carbon, thinned to hell and stupid sharp and almost as crazy as my Shig petty, seriously.

I just looked at the pic and the blades look pretty beat, but I assure you, they're not. Must be the lighting accentuating the day's abuse. Lol.
Cheers!

The tray from my tool box. I am getting sick of lugging the whole box around and just got through a big R&D push so I am gonna switch to a roll. The saya for my Marko fits the Martell perfectly too, even with different geometries and profiles. And a pic of most of the knives on hand to choose from currently.

Catchside
Mario
Davis
Tilman
Mario
Anderson
Shig
Catchside
Marr
Wilburn
Marko
Martell
Ittestsu
Mizuno
Mizuno

(Not pictured: Sakai Takayuki, Ray Rogers)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes. That Mario needs to make it to it's"forever home" at my house Clown Boy!

in a 470mmx100mmx150mm hard case:
270mm Yoshihiro AUS8 suji
Victorinox baker's bk
240mm Hiromoto AUS10 gyuto
210mm Artifex AUS8 wa gyuto
165mm Tojiro VG10 nakiri
140mm Wusthof Classic boner
120mm Fujiwara Kanefusa AUS8 petty
Messermeister takeapart scissor
Messermeister saute fork
Mercer carving fork
Microplane original zester
Ateco 4.75" offset spat
fine Idahone

no pics, phone broken at the moment

look so professional !! all of these for cooking ? i think i don't need so much !! :bigeek:

nfAyPW4.jpg

XeZDxEO.jpg

These I don't leave at work.

Haburn 240
Catcheside 278
Hiromoto 150
R. Murphy Boning

I leave my other tools at work including a Dexter Chinese cleaver and a CCK 1303.

Somebody else with the R. Murphy! It's a great little knife

Much Needed Day Off, Unpacking Yesterdays Bag

- 240 TKC
- Fujiwara Petty
- Takeda Sasanoha
- Nafzger Tall Suji
- Opinel Parer
- Mac Back
- Assorted Tools

11070614_10155581888490173_509849820576507838_o_zpshrw0gfir.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

club chef tourne
150 misono swedish petty
230 artifex fillet
270 kono hd
240 masamoto hc
210 suisin IH petty
sugimoto #30
cck kau kong cleaver

Nothing very fancy but in a week they'll all get some use and with this lot there isn't too much I can't do.

That CCk is a wild looking beast. Heavy/thick? Sugimoto makes a good cleaver as well and by the looks it's some type of stainless?

That CCK definitely looks like it may be a thick bone chopper. Lovely lineup

Yeah the CCK is a bone chopper, seriously everyone needs one! It's so much fun to use. I just swing it around like a madman all day and it never chips.

aaamax: yep the sugimoto is stainless, but the opposite of the cck. I bought it thinking I could use it as a sort of medium-duty knife for cabbage, pumpkin, roast pork belly etc, but it chips all over the place. I realise the answer is to just make the edge more obtuse, but this knife just wants a fine edge. Ultimate chinese housewife's knife though I reckon.

now:

yoshihiro aus 8 270 suji
vic 10" bakers bk
hiro ginsanko 240 gyuto
tojiro dp 240 western deba
kagayaki carbonext 210 gyuto
wusthof classic 140 boner
fujiwara fkm 120 petty

:knife: gonna do almost $100k in food next week so putting some miles on.

image.jpg

Harner Ktip
Tanaka petty
Marko honesuki
Itinomonn deba
Tanaka
Carter
Shigefusa
Kono Fujiyama Damascus
Syousin chiku
Takeda
Suisin sujihiki

Bigger bag= more knives

It's a "grindy" knife with great steel very thin at the edge. I like it a lot but prefer my shig and takeda. I have a almost brand new 4yr old Takeda so I got pretty lucky snagging it. I think I'm gonna put the chiku up for sale pretty soon just to buy something else. I'd definitely recommend it though especially stainless clad for the money it's a good deal.

Back