What's it like in Arlington, TX?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, hey. Fargo isn't that bad. With three colleges in town and North Dakota having the best economy in the nation, they probably have things open. And if you want real cash go out west to the oil fields. Btw, most of my family is from there (2/3 of them are conservative and 1/3 are hunters). It is cold and windy, but no more so than where I live now.

As for the Dallas area, from an outside perspective I think the traffic really sucks. Since Texas doesn't have a state income tax, it always seems like roads take 3x longer to fix and they are always one lane short of what they need. That interstate to Austin is a death trap.

k.

k.
You are correct - I have family that went to college there and a very good friend that is was a doctor at Sanford Fargo Medical Center for eight years and made several visits out there for my perspective. I am an avid hunter so I am in heaven when I am out there, unfortunately it is only every couple of years. I think from a ecological shock on the body perspective, Arlington, Cleveland, Fargo. Fargo is a strong education town and has good medical facilities.
Traffic does suck in DFW but I do a fair amount of work in Chicago, so I find that fairly comparative and don't really think about it too much. You definitely don't have traffic issues in ND. Cleveland is a lot like Milwaukee traffic wise - busy during rush hour but you can get anywhere you need to go within an hour.

"I am a damn liberal who may stand out in Texas and that I am trying to lose weight"

Heh...good luck with that. ;-)

Re: Fargo-Just watch out for chippers!

As for the Dallas area, from an outside perspective I think the traffic really sucks. Since Texas doesn't have a state income tax, it always seems like roads take 3x longer to fix and they are always one lane short of what they need. That interstate to Austin is a death trap.

I 35 in Austin is in the top 10 worst stretches of highway in America for traffic. And here in DFW, the traffic gets BRUTAL over toward Dallas. But if you live in Arlington, you will not likely ever go to Dallas for anything(I have been here for 4 years and have been in Dallas city limits maybe 6-8 times). I live in the mid cities, and I don't hit the highway unless I am going somewhere pretty far. If you live in Dallas, or Grapevine or Plano or Lewisville....well, just make sure you buy an automatic transmission. If I go to a place in Dallas at 2am, it takes like 30-40 minutes. During the day, maybe an hour and a half.

Didn't you see the movie? I drove through there once, stopped for lunch, and had a waitress recomend their cream of cheese soup! My misfortune with lunch, and the movie... oh my! :D I was in DFW about 5 years ago in October for a few days, I liked the weather alot, more humid than I was used to, but quite nice.

Btw, I just stayed at the Hotel Donaldson in Fargo last weekend (very nice hotel btw) and Barry from Storage Wars was drinking in the bar. They also have a James Beard winning chef at the hotel restaurant. If you interview for a job, this is the place to stay.

k.

Cleveland!? :bigeek:

The only thing I remember about Cleveland is Juicy Lucy's by the airport. :O :IMOK:

Is that still there? The one time I flew into Cleveland it made an incredible first impression...

If I can be nosy, what is it you are looking for in a job in academia? Are there other potential locations?

We were moderates living in an ultra-conservative area for years, and it wasn't a lot of fun. Felt like we were wasting our time every election--no one we voted for ever won. At least where we are now our candidates win half the time.

Hubby just came in and asked what I was typing--when I told him a liberal was talking about moving to Texas, his response was "Oh, H*LL!"

LOL!! Politics! If you win you end up loosing, if you loose, well you still loose! As far as that goes, I have yet to find anyone worth voting for, let alone determining where I would move to! :) Weather and oppertunity get my vote. Now that being said, I haven't found many people here take as much interest, and put as much effort into deciding leadership, as for example leadership races, and presidential votes. Us politics is fun to watch from a distance. Quite a bit more interesting than ours. IMO

A lot depends on the area--if you're surrounded by people whose views are loudly expressed, and they're in violent opposition to your views, it can be uncomfortable. There were stores, restaurants, etc., where we used to live that we've felt like we didn't want to patronize because there was so much background noise--radio, political discussions, etc. And at work, you couldn't get away from political discussions going on around your cube. And "discussions" is a misnomer--they were unbalanced rants and and chest-beatings since the political environment was so one-sided.

Arlington may not be that like that, but just saying it can be awkward--you just can't get away from it.

I was just thinking about where I have lived so far, and not only were the towns and countries more on the liberal side in general, most universities provide a climate that is often more balanced than in the general population. I am currently an associate professor for public health, and in areas that focus on issues like inequality, diversity, and service for underprivileged groups, you are more likely to work with liberals of all shades. I am a health psycholgist by training, so I can work in a few related areas, but there are only ever a few jobs on that level available nationally. I searched the usual channels where they get announced, and if I only count the ones where I could say with a good conscience that I can match all the requirements, there may be about a dozen open jobs in the US and Europe right now. And I will compete against several hundred of my colleages. I have no problems with hard work, but in situations lile this, so much depends on luck or very small details that it can be a very frustrating process.

So, my main decision right now is whether I risk moving out of academia to have more choices of places to work and live. It's a risk in the sense that once you are out, it is extremely unlikely to get back in and I generally really like what I do. Ah, decisions, decisions...

Stefan

there may be about a dozen open jobs in the US and Europe right now. And I will compete against several hundred of my colleages.

Well, THAT makes it tough! And you might just love Texas. The people who live there certainly seem crazy about it.

The place we lived (in a different state) was pretty extreme--as in book-burning extreme. And now we live in a place with some extreme liberal activity. And we can tell we're moderates because they drive us crazy, too! :laugh:

Moving to Texas from Hawaii sounds like a recipe for culture/environment shock to me, i.e.:
Do you really like sport for profit (professional sports)?
Cooking out of the back of a pickup truck?
What do you do on Sunday mornings? (When I was six, circa 1955, my father asked me what I would rather do, go to church, or stay home eating waffles, and reading the comics? That settled the religion issue for me . . )
Do you think a passing score on an IQ test would be a reasonable prerequisite for holding elective office?
Do you like your environment green or brown?
Do you have a big hat?

Nah, Texas as a whole looks like that, but Arlington is pretty standard city--very diverse, little history to speak of. Move out to Granbury or Weatherford though, it's a different story.

Moving to Texas from Hawaii sounds like a recipe for culture/environment shock to me, i.e.:
Do you really like sport for profit (professional sports)?
Cooking out of the back of a pickup truck?
What do you do on Sunday mornings? (When I was six, circa 1955, my father asked me what I would rather do, go to church, or stay home eating waffles, and reading the comics? That settled the religion issue for me . . )
Do you think a passing score on an IQ test would be a reasonable prerequisite for holding elective office?
Do you like your environment green or brown?
Do you have a big hat?

Wow...

Forget the big hat, but you'll be wanting a big gun . . .

When transferring through airports (from my experience), DFW and Denver have the best looking women ;) And if an airport is a good proxy for the general population, then you might find the women appealing in Dallas -- if that's what you're into.

k.

Edit: Just wait until the 5th or 6th date to bring up knives though. Knives tend to scare women off -- I know, it's crazy but true.

Back