Whats wrong with all of you? (Thread will close 7-1)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know the whole story but I will say I took a lot of turns thinking it was one person or another's fault and losing sleep over it, too. In the end, I chalk it up to a sad situation essentially run by a couple of unsophisticated supermoderators with god-complexes led by Mike Stewart. I can't believe anyone in their right mind would select such an dolt to moderate anything.
The name alone gives me a creepy feeling...could use the name as a metaphor for something that is dirty and worthless. As in " i didn't need that Mike Stewart of a knife anyway" or " I got hit up by a Mike Stewart on my way to work today for some spare change"

I understand how you feel. At this point, I'm thinking he belongs in one of those caveman commercials as one of the cavemen.

I moved on and let bigones be bigones. Everybody deserves a second change, except for Michael Vick. :mad3:

I think this is a better place for most folks anyway. At least it is more comfortable place for me. No gun-related banners, not tactical knvies for stabbing people, no clandestine political messages (remember Pelosi word?), no excessive marketing (noob jumping), no super mods telling you how insignificant you were in their view.

Did I miss anything?

It was a big ugly mess unpleasant to deal with, charged with emotions. Compare it with forum here now. What is there to complain? I would think most people who I found interesting and worth reading are here already, so I am not missing much.

Give up your grudge and move on. There are better things in life (Salty advise sound pretty good to me).

>
>

I for one am grateful for the existence of "knifeforums". The combined knowledge and posting history is truly one, if not the most comprehensive resources available to anybody wishing to learn more about knives, sharpening etc. I have been able to read through many thousands of pages of highly informative reviews, tutorials and debates regarding topics of particular interest to me.

In that respect I will always be grateful to all those who made the time and effort to publish their thoughts views and opinions.

I did not get involved in the recent arguements which led to the mass exodus and the setting up of forums such as this one. I was a new and very infrequent poster, I didn't know the background, personalities or issues involved.

I did however become involved in one thread when moderators there behaved, in my view, in an unbelievably arrogant, argumentative, crass and insulting manner. Moderators, should in my view, when acting as moderators be above such behaviour.

The performances of brian w edginton and Mike Stewart in the "Osama Thread" were, in my humble opinion, reprehensible and utterly unmoderator like.

For his part watercrawl performed as I would expect of a moderator - calm, cool, non-judgemental and impartial, yet he acted quickly and decisively. Whether you agree with a thread being closed / locked or not is entirely another matter.

Based on the replies I received from Brian & Mike in that thread I will not post on that forum again.

I am very happy to lurk here, glean as much as I can and perhaps add something when I feel I have enough experience to add something of any merit.

To those reaponsible for setting up this forum and to those who contribute on a daily basis I thank you most sincerely. I feel much more at ease here and believe the expertise that exists herein would be hard to surpass anywhere.

Kudos to one and all. Please keep posting - else I run the risk of remaining in the mire of knife igorance forever.

Thanks one an all.

Dublinia123

i'm an expert in the fields of automated cell scanning, FPLC and network infrastructure, at levels likely far beyond the "expert" level claimed there for certain someones, and i'd never stoop to the arrogant ******** that is being defended. if this comment gets me banned over there, so be it.

Definitely not you! I just wish people would leave well enough alone.

I don't think anyone is completely innocent(myself included) in this situation and I feel bringing this situation up over and over again just splits up the community. This is becoming a team Edward/Jacob scenario.:sofa:

I wanted to stay out of this thread but since I got myself drug into it regarding my FF post I'll go ahead and make a couple of comments.

First let me start with myself> I should not comment about those guys like I do, it only makes me look petty. I'll be trying my best to let them be.

Second with regards to Adam> I've decided to let the differences between us fade away and welcome him here as best as I can.

Second with regards to Adam> I've decided to let the differences between us fade away and welcome him here as best as I can.

Then why isn't he allowed to be a vendor here?

Would you also like to know the reasons for all of the other people being denied a vendor's forum as well or are you only interested in Adam's case?

Sean, if I thought that I owed you this information then I would have included you in the conversations to begin with. Since that's not the case then you won't be given this information.

Would you also like to know the reasons for all of the other people being denied a vendor's forum as well or are you only interested in Adam's case?

I haven't heard of anyone else being denied a vendor's forum or being unable to post about their wares. Of course I don't know all the goings on either. Considering your second statement, it doesn't seem like it matters because you do not "owe me this information". It is your forum no doubt, and you can do what you wish with it.

It just seems like this forum is becoming like a tree fort with a sign posted out front. Instead of "no girls allowed" it's "only people Dave is cool with". I knew a little something about this to begin with based on responses to a thread I made, but I'm finding myself increasingly uncomfortable.

I joined because I saw the group of guys that incited my passion for kitchen knives way back when I started. It seemed like everyone was here and the atmosphere was as I remember back in the good old days. Now, I find it difficult to participate in the same way I once did. Even as I responded to this thread I thought "will this get deleted?"

I'd like to reiterate that I love the group here, and Dave I respect you as a craftsman and expert in your line of work. I have no interest whatsoever in rocking the boat. My question was a legitimate inquiry for information, and if you prefer not to provide an answer I can deal with that.

Without making a comparative reference to how this forum stacks up to KF, let me say this: Dave's been able to foster an open, democratic spirit of discussion while ALSO staying true to his personal perspective AND running a business directly concerned with the subject matter we discuss on this board. We all knew that he brought all of those factors to the game when we joined up. I know that I could not do a better job of balancing those (occasionally) competing priorities, and would love to hear from those who believe that they could.

Alright, back to brunoising shallots.

I've raised this red flag before. Also, as I've stated before, I worry.

I did not think Dave's comment on FF was that far out of line, a little dig at the so called 'experts' is harmless, and I think well deserved, since I would not consider either of them experts. The response, particularly by one of the new moderators there, was overly harsh and reminiscent of the events at KF all over again. That thread just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Heavy handed moderators can screw up a forum. As much as possible people should be free to express their opinions, and so far I'm glad that this forum has been able to achieve that, and I am disappointed that moderators on other forums are sometimes too quick to step in where it is not necessary.

Hi Sean,
I probably answered a bit harsh before, I'm tired today, tired of the stuff that's been going on in the background and I'm wearing thin as a result.

To help you all understand, we are being faced with a large number of parties entering KKF with the intent of selling products and/or services. Some of these folks come to me first but some post (willingly or not) posts that can be considered passive marketing. While we want people to come here to post, we have to protect the interest of the community and paying vendors, which means we have to address each and every one of these situations individualy. This is becoming a full time job lately.

In some cases people have made a mistake and we clear this up. In other cases we offer them a chance to become a vendor. Not all are given a chance to become a vendor and not everyone wants to be one either. Each situation is different and each is dealt with differently.

In the most basic explanation I can give, what we want from vendors is that they fit the community just as they need the community to fit them. I'll add my personal feelings and that's I don't want a vendor here that is not as interested in growing with the community as much as they are in just making money. I could care less about the money side of it (the vendor fees), this means little to me, the community means everything though.

I watched the growth of KF ITK over the years, I even helped build the place up (participation since 1999) and then watched it being taken apart piece by piece in the recent years. Now that I know what takes apart a community I refuse to allow the same things to take place here. I will repeat what I said in my welcoming thread in the Kitchen Knife forum....

The Kitchen Knife Forums have been created for 2 reasons....

1. To give the kitchen knifenuts back their home.

2. To help the small craftsman/businessman survive/thrive in this market.

It's my hope that we can put the drama from the past behind us and move forward to new and better things. Still though, I don't intend to forget the past because as the saying goes, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." I vow to learn from my mistakes and the mistakes of others and to do my best not to repeat these errors here.

Also, even though we have vendors within this forum we are not going to be a commercial magnet, we will only allow vendors and craftsman who meet strict criteria. This forum will not become the vendor type playground that we have seen at other sites. Vendors will be restricted on posting their services and sales to their respective vendor sub-forums. Any violations will not be tolerated. If anyone sees vendor misbehavior (including from myself) please report it to a moderator. Problems will not go unanswered here.

So with that out of the way......let's get back to talking about knives.

Welcome!
Dave

I did not think Dave's comment on FF was that far out of line, a little dig at the so called 'experts' is harmless, and I think well deserved, since I would not consider either of them experts. The response, particularly by one of the new moderators there, was overly harsh and reminiscent of the events at KF all over again. That thread just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Heavy handed moderators can screw up a forum. As much as possible people should be free to express their opinions, and so far I'm glad that this forum has been able to achieve that, and I am disappointed that moderators on other forums are sometimes too quick to step in where it is not necessary.

I'm an idiot when it comes to dealing with these guys, I ask for no excuses or forgiveness for my actions.

Why I'm copying your post and commenting though is that you make a very valid point regarding moderators. They are the key to how things run.

I'm actually quite surprised with what I just read - I would have expected business men to take business more seriously. I'm with Fred. I'd say my opinion of everyone involved in the banter has dropped quite a bit. If the vision for this forum, and the marketing dream of making knife nuts more popular and more profitable, folks you have to grow up or you're going to be the cause of you're own failure.

"I probably answered a bit harsh before, I'm tired today, tired of the stuff that's been going on in the background and I'm wearing thin as a result."

Dave that wasn't an apology - it was an explanation.

I'm not trying to get in the middle of all this, I just want you to know what it looks like from one of the newbies perspective. Are you trying to scare me away?

"I probably answered a bit harsh before, I'm tired today, tired of the stuff that's been going on in the background and I'm wearing thin as a result."

Dave that wasn't an apology - it was an explanation.

I'm not trying to get in the middle of all this, I just want you to know what it looks like from one of the newbies perspective. Are you trying to scare me away?

I offered an explanation..... is there something wrong with this? I'm sorry if this is scaring you, it's not my intention.

I don't know why anyone needs an explanation from Dave. There is a lot of history that most do not know anything about and there is not enough space to bring everyone up to speed, nor is it needed. Just enjoy the forum!!!!!

I font know why people are getting in a tizzy about another forum. This is a different forum. A different place where old friends come to meet. If you don't like the format, you don't have to join the conversation. There are two other forums that you can join those.

Can we move on?

While I would like to see the threads go away, since it causes a lot of tension between folks that are not even involved, other than the entertainment value of course....whoever keeps saying that they are reaching for the popcorn cracks me up.

And not to defend Dave in the FF posting, definitely poking the hornets nest for the fun of it..........I missed most of the back story at the forum that will not be named, but Ken's response in that link was just over the top. While telling to let things go and be the bigger man, he came across as not only and arrogant jackass, but an ignorant one as well. And when others not only supported it, but one person (moderator I think) said that he could not have put it any better? Basically trying to call a truce, while you are in the act of sinking the dagger into someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back