What's your favorite whiskey?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
last trip to total wine i picked up larceny. wasnt thrilled with it, it is good though, just not my cup of tea.
now my other pick up, whistlepig single barrel which was only $5 more than regular and at a much higher proof of 116 vs 100. this stuff is darker too and it is incredible!!@!!!!!! i jumped for joy upon first sip. takes over no1 spot (previously redbreast 12yr cask strength)

Same here Larceny not too impressive. I'd rather have Evan Williams bonded bourbon anyway.

Favorite right now is Aberlour A'bundadh, but I think if I manage to try yellow spot, the redbreast cask strength or 15, or a Highland Park 18+ I might have a new favorite. I'm really interested in the auchentoshan three wood and a bunch of the compass box offerings as well, but have never seen the compass box in the wild.

MACCALUM 18year single malt Speyside whisky... they don't make it any more and I'm down to 1/3 of a bottle :(

i moved to Sonoma Wine country.

surpisingly, the whiskey made here is fantastic. i've been drinking rye whiskey lately.
two standouts:
Sonoma County Distilery cherrywood rye
Spirit Works Rye. (the Wheat is my next bottle)

i have a LAWS bourbon from Colorado that is super great as well. i'm digging the domestics.

MACCALUM 18year single malt Speyside whisky(

I guess you mean MacCallan? In that case, I totally agree. It's quite expensive, but veeery smoth and complex too.
On the other hand, I'm also a fan of Blanton's. Especially Blanton's Gold, not always available here, but for about 50€, its really spectacularly good!

Whiskey is the only liquor I genuinely enjoy straight, and I only keep one variety of it in stock at all times: Bourbon

I'm not a heavy bourbon drinker, and certainly don't stock some of the very expensive stuff discussed in this thread, but usually pay between $32-40 for the bottles. I went to a local co-op (read limited selection) and the only option less than $55 was New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon.

Honestly, all I saw was the price under $55 and that it was from Holland, Michigan. Being in the Chicago area, I figured I'd support something quasi-local and failed to notice the gimmick of bourbon aged in barrels that were used to for stout after someone had previously taken bourbon out of those barrels (follow?). So I paid $40 bucks (going price is usually $34-35) and was pretty disappointed. It's very sweet. Reminds me of some Irish whiskeys, really.

Not terrible, but definitely overpriced at $40 and certainly many better options in the mid-thirties price range. Anyone else had the misfortune of paying too much for this very average and too sweet of a whiskey?

I guess you mean MacCallan? In that case, I totally agree. It's quite expensive, but veeery smoth and complex too.
On the other hand, I'm also a fan of Blanton's. Especially Blanton's Gold, not always available here, but for about 50€, its really spectacularly good!

I guess you mean Macallan?

The 18 (Sherry oak) is good, but prices have become silly.

Really, they stopped making MacCallan? Shame. Great drop.

I really like Lagavullin

Oh yes my mistake in spelling. They do still make whisky bit no longer the 18 and 21 year old. I think they blend different years now as there stocks are so depleted!

It's getting cold, time to think about stocking up on whisk(e)y. Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin are on my malt list. My go-to bourbon usually is Wild Turkey 101, but I may have to try Evan Williams after reading here. If there is a tax return, I may be looking for a nice Springbank or a Highland Park 18.

Stefan

Whiskey is the only liquor I genuinely enjoy straight, and I only keep one variety of it in stock at all times: Bourbon

I'm not a heavy bourbon drinker, and certainly don't stock some of the very expensive stuff discussed in this thread, but usually pay between $32-40 for the bottles. I went to a local co-op (read limited selection) and the only option less than $55 was New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon.

Honestly, all I saw was the price under $55 and that it was from Holland, Michigan. Being in the Chicago area, I figured I'd support something quasi-local and failed to notice the gimmick of bourbon aged in barrels that were used to for stout after someone had previously taken bourbon out of those barrels (follow?). So I paid $40 bucks (going price is usually $34-35) and was pretty disappointed. It's very sweet. Reminds me of some Irish whiskeys, really.

Not terrible, but definitely overpriced at $40 and certainly many better options in the mid-thirties price range. Anyone else had the misfortune of paying too much for this very average and too sweet of a whiskey?

I bought it out of curiosity. Ended up drinking most of it in boulevardier form, because it was just wimpy straight.

Yes. It sucks.

Sipping some Lagavulin 16 atm
Aaaah! Lagavulin 16yo - my all time favourite single malt from Islay at an affordable price. Actually, make that all of Scotland. Much better IMO, than their cask strength offering. Sadly, I haven't had a dram for a couple of years as I'm taking a break from alcohol but reading about it at this time of year certainly brings back fond memories - taste and aroma. Still have a couple of bottles to enjoy sometime in the not-too-distant future. Salivating already.

Back