Where in the US would you want to live?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where would I want to live? Waimea just upcountry from the Kohala coast on the Big Island. FWIW Carmel just North of Indianapolis is voted one of the best places to live in the US frequently.
Best of luck no matter where you go Stephan.

Dave

And Southern Cali is a different sort of beast. I hated, hated living in the San Diego area (I lived in North County - definitely not downtown). I also am a cook and from the South and moved there after living in New Orleans for two years. 5 years behind 'NYC' is an understatement. The restaurant scene out there blows hard. Also too many people and too expensive for my tastes.

But my situation is different than his

North county and downtown are completely different. North county has a much more small dated town or suburban feel to it. I would not compare downtown SD to New York or anything, but it has a variety of choices to choose from. As for the number of people, it has that goldy locks feel to it, just about the right size for me. Chicago/LA are too crowded, Omaha too small... It is expensive compared to salary as everyone wants to live there. Sunshine tax indeed.

Last summer I went on a trip for a couple of weeks. I looked at Indy, Kc, (thought about going back) Dayton, Cincy. I liked what I saw, but I am not certain that I want to move now. Good luck on your search.

My wife I and recently did a similar exercise when exploring new jobs. These ended up being the top cities/areas in our list. We wanted college towns with a better 'food' culture and more progressive population.

* Bloomington, IN
* Providence, RI
* Chapel Hill/Research Triangle Area, NC
* Walla Walla, WA
* Portland, ME
* Portland, OR
* Madison, WI
* Burlington, VT
* Lawrence, KS
* Kansas City, MO
* Louisville, KY
* Minneapolis, MN

My wife was a professor at UAB in Birmingham. I liked B'ham, but it is hot and the south is the south. Just off the top of my head, it seems as if your skill set in public health would be a good fit for schools that have international development programs. They often take a more social change approach to disciplines versus a strictly economic approach as the US often does. Just saying. Even some development corporations who do public health projects may be interested in your skills. They often like credentialed staff to give their proposals more weight when applying for funding.

k.

K, just out of curiosity, why would you want to live in a college town?

I just feel they provide a good energy and influence other factors that make a community more livable (art, education, sports, health care, business) and also keep in check some of the more 'inward' and close-minded tendencies towns can take on. Of course, non-college towns can have these benefits too, especially bigger cities, but I find it a good proxy variable for things I find important.

k.

[Right now I am working on applications for Galveston. TX, and Indianapolis. Any thoughts on those two - and on where you would want to live if you could just go there?

Stefan[/QUOTE]

Austin is great, Cincy is great, Louisville, Ky is great, Alabama is great if you like the south, Indianapolis and Indiana is a dinosaur looking for a place to die. Back in the 1920's we were home to a 3 party system, the democrats, the republicans, and the KKK. It's part of Indiana history they don't want to promote while trying live the lifestyle of the 1930's. To give you an idea, as most states are trying to lessen the pot laws the governor here in Indiana decided to go for more draconian pot laws, as an example, more prison terms etc.

I came back to deal with an ailing father, he is now in a nursing home, as a result I am now sending out resumes to other areas of the country.

Think of a place with a church on every corner, no Sunday sales of liquor or cars, the quality of food in groceries subpar, every restaurant is a chain (they won't support private ownership of restaurants, I.e if it ain't meat and potatoes and not advertised on prime time we ain't goin', Olive Garden is considered an upscale italian restaurant) then this place is for you.

I've lived all over the country. Cities I would like in or live in again are, NYC, Chicago, San Diego, New Orleans, Denver, Austin, Nashville, Asheville, Seattle, San Fran. I would love to live in Hawaii or Puerto Rico. Places I would never live. New Jersey, Boston and Philly. I can't think of a worst place than Jersey.

Indianapolis has Shapiro's. That makes it a great town, in and of itself.

I agree Shapiros is great, which one did you eat at? The one off the downtown area or the one in Carmel, I found there was a difference between the two, of course the one in Carmel already closed, no support. The one d-town is/was much better.

I agree Shapiros is great, which one? The one off the downtown area or the one in Carmel, I found there is a difference between the two. The one d-town is much better.

I would say in the next five years that the dtown place will be swallowed up expansion. It's prime real estate.

The Carmel one closed down a few months ago. The original is always the best.

Not so much from a greatest place to live perspective, but from the amount of Colleges and Universities in the area, NJ isnt too bad. You have beaches, u have NY close by, good food, 4 seasons. There are worse places to live.

Not so much from a greatest place to live perspective, but from the amount of Colleges and Universities in the area, NJ isnt too bad. You have beaches, u have NY close by, good food, 4 seasons. There are worse places to live.

Not according to Chuck. He hurt the one feeling I have left. :sad0:

i'd like to live somewhere with a true four seasons.

white Christmas, changing leaves..blooming flowers and mildly hot summer.

kinda stuck where i am for the most part...i dig my job.

Of the places I've been in the US, Chicago was my favourite big city and Portland Oregon was my favourite place period. Rural Vermont and New Hampshire were really nice too, but probably not that relevant to this conversation.

If you're a bit of a lefty with a resume like that and you're willing to live outside the US, why not look at Canadian schools? As a gross generalization, I prefer Canadian cities to US ones as places to live.

Given your heritage.....University of Wisconsin/Milwaukee

More Germans than you can shake a stick at but the weather is like Germany.

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering why Columbus didn't make your list. It's not an oasis like Portland or Burlington, but it seems more the ticket you wrote than Kansas City or Lawrence.

Did someone say Kansas City? Yesss...I've lived all over Texas, Detroit, MI Traverse City, MI, Austin, Miami, FL, and now Kansas City, MO and the food culture here is GREAT. I can't speak for Lawrence, but I know all the college kiddos love it. Plus, once a year you have over 200 BBQ competition teams show up in your back yard and ALL try to impress you simultaneously. What more can you ask for?

Washington, Oregon, Northern California ( I love SoCal but its too crazy) Olympia Washington, Eugene Oregon, Seattle Washington, Portland Oregon. Mendocino County, CA is amazing also. I live in Spokane Washington which has a high concentration of colleges as well. Plus youll be closer to HI in any of these locations.

For me, since I have an insanely high metabolism I prefer chilly areas, I would choose Colorado or Alaska.

I'm Cold!
I want to move to Hawaii.
Thinking a Gilligan's Island hut on the beach would be nice.

I'm Cold!
I want to move to Hawaii.
Thinking a Gilligan's Island hut on the beach would be nice.

[video=youtube;MWlvYpJ5pRo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWlvYpJ5pRo[/video]

Alaska is gorgeous but the 6 months of daylight/night would seriously screw with my head. Flagstaff, Portland and Seattle are my favorite western cities. Beautiful areas, people are friendly, lots to do. Southeast- Savannah, Richmond, Charleston, Nashville. Northeast- Vermont or Connecticut. Each place has its pros and cons, but to this east coast gal, very beautiful :)

Of the places I've visited in the US, Chicago most stole my heart, but it does have a grittiness that isn't too far away from any corner. Food was great, the people were nice, and they really figured out how to use their lakefront.

Not that we want you farther away, but what about a European town, like Salamanca, Spain? Despite being smack in the middle of a dust bowl, it's one of the nicest cities I've been to (it's a University town, too). Another great choice would be Lisbon.

Vermont is beautiful. Went to school in Northfield. New Hamster is pretty nice too.

Erica, if you ever find yourself PCSing to Kadena, look me up.

We were there from 2006-2009. Wish we could go back but the hubs only has 3 more years until retirement :(

There are 3 things I miss from there. Cocos curry house, Capitals and SAMs by the Sea curry soup. Oh my goodness!

I like where I'm at in Reno, NV. It has 4 seasons, the food scene is growing from what it used to be, close to farms for fresh produce and meat, still fairly small so traveling isn't hard, close to the bay area in case I want a bit more culture, and close to Tahoe at less than an hour drive. Not saying things couldn't improve more, but for now it's where my heart is...

I like where I'm at in Reno, NV. It has 4 seasons, the food scene is growing from what it used to be, close to farms for fresh produce and meat, still fairly small so traveling isn't hard, close to the bay area in case I want a bit more culture, and close to Tahoe at less than an hour drive. Not saying things couldn't improve more, but for now it's where my heart is...

There is a job opening in Reno that I will be applying for, so that's good to know :)

Stefan

i moved to a location 3/4 mile from lake texhoma on the okie side. after 50 years of big city hazzle i really dig the quite rural atomosphere but would'nt recommend it for a younger person. i,ve certainly had my share of the noise & partying & welcome the absense of sirens & 18 wheeler roar.--cranky72

Back