Where to buy platinum wedding ring?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind that I'm only 26 and I've never even set foot into a jewelry store or even considered buying any sort of engagement ring, so maybe I'm just naive, but can the average person even tell the difference between white gold and platinum or even silver based on looks alone?
I have to laugh reading this on a BBS where people extol the virues of 52100 vs White No 1 vs O1 and CPM154 vs CM 154 vs VG10 :)

Kyle, you can actually tell visually the difference between silver, white gold and platinum.

What happens a lot from what i read in the US is that white gold is typically rhodium plated. So whether 14K or 18K, they get it rhodium plated so that it is "whiter". The plating needs to be reapplied every year or two depending on your usage and environment.

If you check on this place called pricescope, you can actually see pictures.

From what i know, Spike is right on the money that pure platinum is softer than 18K gold, but most high end places alloy platinum with ruthenium. This gives it added strength, and from my own observation and experiences, Tiffany platinum patinas a very metallic bluish gray that is quite pleasant and is very very slight (takes a long time for said patina to form)

Any platinum ruthenium mix might be a good bet for you

Kyle, you can actually tell visually the difference between silver, white gold and platinum.

What happens a lot from what i read in the US is that white gold is typically rhodium plated. So whether 14K or 18K, they get it rhodium plated so that it is "whiter". The plating needs to be reapplied every year or two depending on your usage and environment.

If you check on this place called pricescope, you can actually see pictures.

This used to be true, but in the past 10 years there has been a big move to palladium white gold, which needs no plating and is a truer white.
As far as the white gold vs platinium it is true that the main difference is weight.
Del

Keep in mind that I'm only 26 and I've never even set foot into a jewelry store or even considered buying any sort of engagement ring, so maybe I'm just naive, but can the average person even tell the difference between white gold and platinum or even silver based on looks alone?

Silver is the whitest of all the white metals and platinium is one of the darkest. Palladium is also very dark, you can see the contrast if you click on my website and go to mokume rings.
I don't know about the average person, since my wife tells me I am far from average.(read wierd)
Del

Most common in platinum rings is iridium. Pure plat is not common at all. When speaking of plat, most jewelers just assume an iridium alloy. Now that the prices of the precious metals has gone so high there are a lot more alloys to choose from, ranging from Argentium, which is silver and germainium, to Stulladium, which is silver and palladium, to plat/cobalt, to a whole slew of gold mixes. It's a jungle out there!

Oh ya, and there is also 1,2,and 4 karat gold now!

...Tiffany platinum patinas a very metallic bluish gray that is quite pleasant and is very very slight (takes a long time for said patina to form)

Any platinum ruthenium mix might be a good bet for you

My platinum ring is Tiffany and I really like it. Much better than my first wedding band :)

No patina after a year and the design with grooves is nice because nicks and dings don't really show up.

Tiffany Wedding Band

k.

These are ALL so gorgeous! Thanks for putting them in one pretty place!.

i got a Binnion ring. wasnt cheap. i could only afford a white gold and silver "mix". i love the darn thing. i lined it with white gold just in case i had a skin reaction with the thing.

Back