Which one should I buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fujiwara hands down. Great Fit and Finish, the stainless takes a holds a nice edge from the 150mm petty's I have gotten to play with. Handle fit is pretty dang nice for a knife that inexpensive!!

The Tojiro Shirogami knives are pretty neat for the price but really need an investment of time to bring out their potential. They are carbon steel with a soft iron clad that is pretty reactive. Takes some extra care which isn't always convenient in a busy kitchen. I have a few but spent a good amount of time on them. They usually have some small grind issues, handle needs to be sanded and oiled, spin/coil needs rounded and resetting of bevels. The white #2 does take a very sharp edge with very little effort.

With saying that, I think the Tojiro DP or Fujiwara in VG10 are fantastic first knives. Both have pretty good fit and finish, fairly nice ootb edges, are stainless and VG10 is a nice steel that takes a nice edge. Great price point too.

VG10 does take more work on the stones to make sure the wire edge is removed and if you drop your sharpening angle too low they can be prone to micro chipping. It responds well to loaded strops and holds an edge fairly well.

VG10 gets my vote either the Tojiro DP or Fujiwara.

After 5yrs of owning several DP's, I still really like them.

lets continue voting until 0:00
thanks for help!!
1 question.. what is exactly DP ? what it means?

I love the blade shape of the 210mm Fujiwara gyuto that I used to have....with a nicely sharpened edge, its a heck of a knife for $75.

I usually just stay away from santoku threads now. I have three of them and none of them come to work with me anymore.

Guys!! do you know where can i buy leather case for knives?? not too expensive!!!

Home made saya cardboard and duck tape is another option.

You take 2 pieces of cardboard, stick the blade between then and wrap with duct tape. Instant sheath! LOL. I guess you could get a wood one and then wrap it in leather for the knives? I think there may be some guys here who can do a leather sheath or butchers belt type thing.

oh... i understand what you mean... but i have a lot of Kitchen tools... so i want to have them all together in a bag!!

If you like that line, I would suggest the gyuto from there...it is small for a gyuto, but just a tad bigger than the santoku. Almost guarantee in time you will be happier with a gyuto tip than the santoku
http://japan-blades.com/category/chef-knives/by-brand/minamoto-kotetsu

Although I've never tried that maker, 19c27 hardened to 60hrc sounds pretty good to me if it acts anything like the Suisin Inox Honyaki line.

I mean, JCK's postage rate is 7 dollars.

Many sends to Europe for 40 dollars. And then the price of the knife aint no that attractive.

oh... i understand... you are right.. tha is the reason i will buy from JKC

finally i buy Fujiwara Kanefusa FKM No.7 Santoku 180mm... i hope it is correct choice..

Awesome, let us know how you like it when it arrives! Good luck!

Back