Which one should I buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what kind of sharpening stones i need to sharpen this knife???

What material should it be?

For stones, Maxim sells quite a few and they all have a good reputation, he is based in Denmark so it might save you some shipping costs

If you're going to buy just one, then get a combo medium/fine I'd say. I don't know the best brand for this, but for example something like this:

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?pf_id=01.096

Just be sure you don't damage the blade, because if you do you'll need a coarse stone (for example 400 grit) to reshape/repair it. If you just have a med/fine you'll be okay for a while but in the future you'll still need a coarse one to thin your blade.

but what is these numbers for stones? 1000, 500 ... what they mean?

but what is these numbers for stones? 1000, 500 ... what they mean?

the numbers designate the grit rating. the lower the number, the coarser the stone. to start off, I think something in the 1000 (1K) grit range would be appropriate and maybe something in the 4000-6000 range as well.

generally, stones around 500 are used for repairing blades (removing chips and nicks) and quickly setting bevels. 1K is a good place to start sharpening and 4-6k will refine the 1k edge

so i need a 1000 stone!! may be 1000 and 4000 or 6000.. 2 stones.. i am right?

so i need a 1000 stone!! may be 1000 and 4000 or 6000.. 2 stones.. i am right?

Yes!

Above I wrote you should get a combination med/fine stone. That means a 1000 on one side, and 5 or 6000 on the other. You said you would look at the link I posted. So have you?

Evidence:

ok... thanks.. i will take a look!! :)

You'll have to do some of your own research to decide what you need. Good luck! :bye:

Over and out!

All you need is one stone. Just one stone.

I dont have a clue why would you need three when you dont even have a clue yet how to use any of them?

Just look up for KING KDS 1K/6K combo stone It should cost around 50 euros total and you can order from Germany

http://www.fine-tools.com/kombischleifstein.html

there is also smaller sizes, but dont go that way. Its not worth it saving 10 euro/

Yes!

Above I wrote you should get a combination med/fine stone. That means a 1000 on one side, and 5 or 6000 on the other. You said you would look at the link I posted. So have you?

Evidence:

You'll have to do some of your own research to decide what you need. Good luck! :bye:

Over and out!

i just saw your reply... thanks for imformation.. i understand.. :)

All you need is one stone. Just one stone.

I dont have a clue why would you need three when you dont even have a clue yet how to use any of them?

Just look up for KING KDS 1K/6K combo stone It should cost around 50 euros total and you can order from Germany

http://www.fine-tools.com/kombischleifstein.html

there is also smaller sizes, but dont go that way. Its not worth it saving 10 euro/

thanks for the help too...

no worries, I could blow smoke up your arse but being honest is better.

Me myself for start I wasnt rich[ not that im now] and actually had a big hole in my pocket - like the choice was, buy food or buy month transportation ticket, so if you bought a knife for 80 dollars, dont buy stone setup for 150...

Get one stone, learn to sharpen, this will make you respect your knife more and understand and appreciate it better.
After, if youre the edge kind of guy, you can build up your setup - not every chef, even good one, wants to spend hours and bucks for sharpening, and dont get that numbers to your head! 5 stones doesnt leave you with more useful edge than 2 stones or combo stone.

i ask a friend for sharpening stone... he tell me that 1000/3000 is good for begginers.. it is not important to spend too much money to buy 1000/6000... what do you think.. i agree with your opinion... and my friend says the same with you!!

Yes, good friend you have.

But in some cses the 1000/3000 might be more expensive than the king

Or a cement block and hunk of cardboard!

Search YouTube for Murray Carter sharpening and you should be able to find the clip.

Back