Who Dislikes 'Japanese Knives'?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like any kind of knife as long as it's well made, a good cutter, and used for the appropriate task.

And sometimes a hammer is the appropriate tool. And I don't use a pinch grip with it. :knife:

I swing a hammer with a pinch grip, or a variety of a pinch grip. Many smiths do. Isn't that funny?

Gordon Ramsay has a Kitchen Kit video on youtube.
He doesn't say directly he dislikes Japanese knives, but he does say a heavy handle knife is a good thing.
[video=youtube;-av6cz9upO0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-av6cz9upO0[/video]

The blade on that chef's knife is so chipped.

The blade on that chef's knife is so chipped.
His BRAIN is so chipped. Multiple other problematic issues in that video, too. When I see a celebrity chef giving advice, I run away.

I think that the best Japanese knives are the traditional styles.
Most impressive to my eyes, look the Sakai knives.
Unfortunately, I cook western, so I need westernized Japanese knives.

But let's take Seki for example that produces mass produced westernized knives.

All of them, even Shun and Globals, are better than every European mass produced knives.

Of course Europe has some unique excellent knives as well, such as Victorinox 5.3810.18 flexible fillet, or the Victorinox 30cm salmon slicer(most excellent slicer for raw entrecote), or the Victorinox parer, cheap and most efficient knives.

With the exception of these 3 Victorinox knives, that Japan cannot offer, I prefer all the way Japanese knives

I don't like the guy either but he had some ok ideas.
What else did you think was wrong? I'm genuinely curious

P.s. I just realized I hijacked the thread. Sorry about that.
His BRAIN is so chipped. Multiple other problematic issues in that video, too. When I see a celebrity chef giving advice, I run away.

"Wir haben hier einen echten Hammer" (got a real Hammer here), the TV reporter said after finding a local interviewee in downtown Hamm, Germany.

I don't like the guy either but he had some ok ideas.
What else did you think was wrong? I'm genuinely curious
Perhaps it's more an issue that he's dumbing things down too much and pandering to the masses.
  • He claims "the secret" of a "great" sauce pan is a thick bottom, but he doesn't explain what that exactly is, nor does he contemplate clad pans.
  • He suggests cooking stews in a stock pot---i.e., NOT in the ECI pot he displays later.
  • The "secret of a great set of knives is in the handle." Apparently the blade doesn't matter---which he shows because of how chipped his knives are.
  • Apparently a mortar and pestle are "necessary" prep tools that are "essential in any good kitchen" and it "confirms 'HANDMADE!!'"
  • He implies that the non-stick fry pan goes in the oven.
  • His "heavy-duty" cutting board looks like it weighs about five ounces and is clearly not sufficient for wonderful knives!
  • Finally, and most egregious...he suggests having ONLY -three- knives in your kitchen!! Sacrilege!!

Can i point out that he was appealing to the masses so all of his comments were on point.

And for most people, including us, a handle will make or break a knife. Knives come sharp. Many gadgets present to sharpen them or just buy a new one. But if it ain't comfortable to use it won't be used.

I'm curious about European-style knives with really good cutting geometry. Anyone have any suggestions?

Can i point out that he was appealing to the masses so all of his comments were on point.
What part of mortars and pestles being "necessary for a good kitchen" is on point for the masses?
And for most people, including us, a handle will make or break a knife. Knives come sharp.
Sure the handle is important...But...did you SEE his knife edge?

I saw there was about 3 knives in that clip. One of them looked chip to hell and one of them looked fresh off the line.

In regards to morter and pestle. Debatable but many chefs wpulf agree they are an exceptioanlly useful tool in the kitchrn for grinding herbs etc.

Look you don't like the guy fine. But he can definitely cook and his advice on kitchen items is on point. Nothing he said was incorrect especially given his target audience.

I'm interested in this. I have debated having a custom knife built to match my scanpan (euro) profile with a better geometry.

I think its self serving at best and really condescending at worst.
There are a lot of TV chefs that just want to show the recipe maybe a simple technique and really play down the costs.
They want to get a large target audience.
Most of that audience cannot afford or are unwilling to spend a lot on kitchen tools.

I saw there was about 3 knives in that clip. One of them looked chip to hell and one of them looked fresh off the line.
In regards to morter and pestle. Debatable but many chefs wpulf agree they are an exceptioanlly useful tool in the kitchrn for grinding herbs etc.
Look you don't like the guy fine. But he can definitely cook and his advice on kitchen items is on point. Nothing he said was incorrect especially given his target audience.

Well, a good kitchen per definition should offer great pesto, a great Thai curry and great Vindaloo - all of which are best made with a mortar and pestle.

I guess with the prevalence of glass ceramic (low heat storage capacity!) stoves these days, thick bottoms will help. They help in other areas of life, too.

Some non stick cookware is specified for oven use, usually up to 180°C (it will say so on the packaging).

Honestly? Having 30 knives in the block doesn't mean you have them all out as soon as you are cooking, usually one chooses a set of 1 to 4 per prep session from the block with or without thought...

Wait a minute. It is self serving because he told people what a reasonable home set up consists of?

It's a good list. I watched the video to see what else should I get! :)))
My ideas is that Gordon and other TV chefs are in the business of selling books, TV shows fill up the time to show you ads.
Also Pirendeus pointed out the issue well. Gordon glosses over things.
Maybe I'm wrong. We here on KKF are quite obsessed with quality and specs. The average home cook may be more interested in price and getting a full kitchen kit. I donno

Wait a minute. It is self serving because he told people what a reasonable home set up consists of?

It's a largely unused kitchen decoration that impresses the neighbors. Gotta have it, leave the WS label on it.

I use mine at home nearly every time I cook, and she I worked at Cochon we had a giant wooden one that I used every day. Crushed ingredients are different, taste different, and interact different. Get a cheap wooden one from an Asian market and start making herb sauces in it for your grill times. You won't go back.

I'm curious about European-style knives with really good cutting geometry. Anyone have any suggestions?

What do you mean by "style"? Would Misono count, with their Western handles? Glestain? Takamura?

What do you mean by "style"? Would Misono count, with their Western handles? Glestain? Takamura?
Was referring to European knives by European manufacturers. Would like to avoid pedantry and semantic games if possible.

Was referring to European knives by European manufacturers. Would like to avoid pedantry and semantic games if possible.

I wasn't trying to play semantic games; I was trying to get a handle on exactly what you were looking for so I could possibly help. Sorry.

I wasn't trying to play semantic games; I was trying to get a handle on exactly what you were looking for so I could possibly help. Sorry.
Nah I wasn't accusing you of playing games; I just didn't want to leave the door open too wide. Sorry for sounding belligerent.

Nah I wasn't accusing you of playing games; I just didn't want to leave the door open too wide. Sorry for sounding belligerent.

Oh, no worries, all good. :doublethumbsup:

The problem I think you'll find is that the European makers... make the European knives we all know and love can't run away from fast enough. Misono and Glestain make western-handled knives with slightly softer steel and Japanese profiles, there are people like Brian Raquin who are in Europe but make Japanese-style knives, but I'm not sure that the twain shall ever meet in the way you want.

The problem I think you'll find is that the European makers... make the European knives we all know and love can't run away from fast enough. Misono and Glestain make western-handled knives with slightly softer steel and Japanese profiles, there are people like Brian Raquin who are in Europe but make Japanese-style knives, but I'm not sure that the twain shall ever meet in the way you want.

Oh I have to disagree... there are quite a few knifemakers in Europe (UK, Germany, Austria, France, Sweden...) making japanese Style/insprired Knives like Gyutos, Santokus, Pettys... with pretty good grinds and good profiles. Problems are only that

a) They're pretty under represented in international forums (few UK-makers, Dalman, Raquin etc. aside)
b) It's only knifemakers, not mainstream manufacturers like Misono for example

I wish more european companys would lean towards the custom makers and finally start to make good Gyutos etc. with good steels and good grinds etc.
That misses outside Japan I think...

Back